Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hunter Mountain, NY (NE115 #70)- 10/19/2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Hunter Mountain, NY (NE115 #70)- 10/19/2016
I was originally planning to sleep in that day, but my cat woke me up at 4:00 AM, and I decided to not go back to bed and hit the road for a hike. Only question was, "Where should I go?" I ended up driving into Brattleboro, VT via route 9, with Greylock as a potential option. All of a sudden, I remembered Hunter Mountain, the other Catskill 4K (which I hadn't yet hiked). I also remembered that driving through VT to get to the Catskills cuts off about 20 miles of driving. So, off to the Catskills I went! I will say, though, that although you cut off mileage by taking the VT route, it adds a LOT of time. To add injury to insult, there was a lot of roadwork going on in both VT and NY, and I accidentally missed the turn for the trailhead and ended up driving several miles in the opposite direction before turning back, so in the end it took me SIX hours to get from my house to the Becker Hollow trailhead :evil: . Fortunately, the incredibly scenic drive along NY route 23A made up for it a bit. Rolled in around 10:30 AM. Finagled my backpack and gear, packed up, and headed out around 10:45 AM.

The Becker Hollow Trail started out really flat and easy, crossing a brook on a footbridge early on. A short while into the hike, the grade picked up slightly, and got progressively more steep, reaching its steepest section past the 3500' sign. Despite what the guides made it out to be, I didn't find the trail all that steep or difficult. The hardest part by far was trying not to wipe out on wet leaves :lol: . I soon topped out in a clearing where the old fire tower used to be, which I almost thought was the true summit. Roved around some, then headed toward the currently standing fire tower, which was actually the true summit. Took a little over an hour to hike from bottom to top.

It was a lot cooler at the summit, particularly at the top deck of the tower. I had done most of the hike with shorts and no shirt, so I had to put a light jacket on to climb the tower and not freeze :shock: . Checked out the views for a while (had zero idea what I was looking at), then went back down to eat some lunch and chat with fellow hikers. Speaking of which... Before I headed down, I chatted with an older French-speaking couple on vacation and, since pretty much everyone who speaks French in this neck of the woods is from Québec, I assumed they were too. I asked what part of Québec they were from, and they said, "Uh, we're not from QC." I said, "you're not?" They replied, "No, we're from Europe." I was like, "Oops..." It was all good, though- they were cool about my flub, and they told me about how their vacation went :) .

Eventually, I started back down the trail, watching my step because of the wet, slippery leaves that covered almost the whole trail. Made it back down safely, then packed up, hopped in the car and started the drive home, on the Mass Pike :lol: . Got stuck in traffic on 495 and cut through Lowell and Dracut on route 38 to bypass it, and I still got home in 4 hours 45 minutes. Ended up driving 478 miles for that hike, which was 4.2 miles roundtrip with 2,250 ft. of elevation gain. All I'll say is that it's a good thing I "needed" this peak :lol:

*paging GG* I didn't go to Kaaterskill Falls for two reasons: there were literally NO parking spaces, and parking along the road was forbidden. Plus, a local on the top said that there wasn't a whole lot going on with the falls (F you, drought :cry: ).

The Catskill Fours are now in the books, so it's onward to the Adirondacks for the rest of the 115! What I have left to do there: everything except Marcy. Needless to say, it's gonna take me a while to finish this one. At least they're in general closer than the Catskill 4Ks. When I do finish (if I do :lol: ). I'm planning for Esther/Whiteface, with the latter being planned for #115. (Auto road to the top means my non-hiker friends and family can go.) Still a LONG way to go until then, though.

Here's the video recap: https://youtu.be/skR8yGUi0Mo

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Hunter Mountain, NY (NE115 #70)- 10/19/2016
Reminds me of Magalloway, but longer!

More than 2/3 done that list, good for you! I liked that snake, too!

Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:12 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Congrats on getting up the highest fire tower in the Northeast! I didn't love the hike but the summit views were pretty awesome at sunset for sure. I would have thought the foliage there would be behind us but it looks dead and gone.

hiker0200 wrote:
At least they're in general closer than the Catskill 4Ks.
Ummm. Nope. Well, maybe with the Magellan-like sense of direction you used to get there and back both times you went! :D A couple miles closer for some of them maybe, but a solid 4+ hour ride for you to most trailheads. And the hikes are much longer. Isolation would just be an average day on the 46ers. None of this 2.5 mile crap! :lol: You might want to invest in some backpacking gear. 75% of the Daks are a nightmare as day trips from our part of the world. Leave at 4AM, hike 15-18 miles, return at 1AM type of nightmare. Also, convince some friends ASAP they need to hike these with you for company on the rides too. Good luck with that adventure though. Unbelievably awesome hiking/scenery and worth the effort for sure.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:07 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Holy cow! That fire tower is huuuge! I second getting a nice big pack for overnighting the Daks. It splits the days up and gets a nice adventure in. (Don't forget the bear can) the daks are 5 hours for me and the one time I did a day trip there with Derek, I was burnt the next day at work. Bring a book and a headlamp with you. Yeah sure lugging a 45lb pack around isnt thaaaat awesome but it's winter weight training. 8)

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:23 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Congrats on getting up the highest fire tower in the Northeast! I didn't love the hike but the summit views were pretty awesome at sunset for sure. I would have thought the foliage there would be behind us but it looks dead and gone.

hiker0200 wrote:
At least they're in general closer than the Catskill 4Ks.
Ummm. Nope. Well, maybe with the Magellan-like sense of direction you used to get there and back both times you went! :D A couple miles closer for some of them maybe, but a solid 4+ hour ride for you to most trailheads. And the hikes are much longer. Isolation would just be an average day on the 46ers. None of this 2.5 mile crap! :lol: You might want to invest in some backpacking gear. 75% of the Daks are a nightmare as day trips from our part of the world. Leave at 4AM, hike 15-18 miles, return at 1AM type of nightmare. Also, convince some friends ASAP they need to hike these with you for company on the rides too. Good luck with that adventure though. Unbelievably awesome hiking/scenery and worth the effort for sure.

In terms of mileage, many of them are closer to me. The trailhead for Giant Mountain/Rocky Peak Ridge is 188 miles away. Cascade/Porter and possibly Elk Lake are under 200 miles away, one-way. It's the fact that 1/2 the drive is on back roads that's the kicker. Adds a crap ton of driving time. Actually, that's the main reason I haven't gone to the High Peaks. Also, driving there in winter might be very difficult because of the type of car I drive. (FWD Kia Rio.) Two winters ago, I tried to get to the Jerusalem trail head to hike Mt. Ellen, but my car literally would not make it up Appalachian Gap. No matter how I tried to drive it, it would not make it up. Middlebury Gap (which I would drive over to get to the Champlain Bridge) probably wouldn't be any better. And I really don't feel like pulling a Brian and Greg :twisted: and taking the long way through Rutland and Whitehall via route 4 to I-87 to avoid crossing Middlebury Gap :( .

Lot of logistics involved for sure. Gonna be more than just a hiking challenge :lol:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:27 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Giant and Cascade are some of the closer ones. The ADK Loj parking are would be a good place to get an average drive time. Some are shorter. Some are longer. But many start from right there. Or the Garden. Or the Ausable Club. Middlebury Gap is actually plowed and treated really well. There's a ski mountain at the top of it and a college on the other side of it so they want people to get there. Unless it's the day after a storm driving shouldn't be an issue at all in most cars with decent tires, but for sure it's no easy interstate highway cruise-controlled ride to get to the Adirondacks from NH.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]