Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 10/19/16 Catching up with Joe on Killington 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

10/19/16 Catching up with Joe on Killington
Joe and I took a day off yesterday to hike Killington, which is #66 on the NE 67 list for both of us. Well, Joe had done this hike before, by the ski trails this July, but I guess he loved it so much that he was willing to do it again with me. Knowing how much I hate hiking up ski trails (memories of my calves burning while hiking up Sugarloaf ski trails!), he agreed to do it by an honest hiking trail. 8)

Our route was up the Bucklin trail, which intersects with the Long trail, then up a short spur to the summit. The forecast was for partly cloudy conditions, but it wasn't looking too great on the way up - mostly clouds. We stopped at Quechee Gorge on the way, which I had seen before, but it was a first for Joe.

We were on trail at about 9:00 AM, after being warned by someone at the trailhead (who was camping out in his car and had apparently been there the day before) that the trail was very wet and slippery. The first 2 miles of the Bucklin trail were very easy, with less than 500' of elevation gain, so we made good time.

The next 1.7 miles was a bit tougher (or was it 1.4? Maps indicated the route was 3.7 miles, signs on the trail indicated 3.4, but I'm going with 3.7) . There was about a mile of fairly steady, somewhat steep hiking. Then it leveled out a bit near the intersection of the Long trail. We passed by Cooper Lodge but decided to just check it out on the way back down. From there, the rest of the hike is a steep, 0.2-mile climb to the summit over a lot of boulders. We ended up in complete cloud cover at the summit. We then decided to hike down the short way to the ski lifts and hang around for a bit in hopes that some of the clouds would clear out. We had lunch on one of the picnic tables, and just as we were getting up to leave, some of the clouds started to blow away. We never got really great views but it wasn't a total loss - we were able to snap some half-decent pics from the ski lift area and then from the spur trail on the way back down.

We got back to the car at about 1:30, just 4 1/2 hours after we started. Of course, it was warm and sunny on the way out. :roll:

Anyway, #66 is in the books, and Joe and I hope to finish soon on Camel's Hump.

Quechee Gorge in the morning

Start of Bucklin trail

Bridge on Bucklin trail

Still some decent color out there

But as we go higher we climb up into the clouds

Cooper Lodge

Spur trail to summit

Viewless time on the summit of Killington

Joe checking out the ski trail signs

We got excited as it started clearing up a bit

Hoping for the clouds to lift even more

Decent views

And then the clouds come back in....

Joe desperately takes as many photos as he can before it gets completely clouded over again

As we descended the spur trail back down to the lodge, we were able to get some partial views

Inside Cooper Lodge

Yet another bridge, on the way out on Bucklin trail

Athough we didn't have many views from the summit, it was still a beautiful fall day in Vermont

And one more view of Quechee Gorge on the way home.

All the pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskLTvYGm

Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:42 am

Re: 10/19/16 Catching up with Joe on Killington
We must be following you around! We hit Pico on Saturday and we're looking at Killington as the next target because we didn't have time to hike over
However we might now wait to get it in winter instead based on the forecast...although the post hike stop at the Long Trail Brewery is worth the drive alone

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:13 am

Congrats on finally beating me to a list finish! :D And this one will not even be close to a contest as I need all 3 Baxter peaks....so this could take a while. :wink:

Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Congrats on #66!

I was on Killington myslf a few days before you. The foliage was prime, but like you, the views were yuck. Although I wouldn't considered the 12th pic to be just "decent" :lol:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:46 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Funny, when I saw Joe's foliage shots of Quechee I figured he was going to Killington since it's on the way but didn't know why he'd be going back to that one. Now I know. Nice of Joe to let you catch up for the dual finish. Bummer about the weather and it looks like the foliage is way past it's prime there. I see a whole lot of leafless trees among the browns. Make sure you save Camels Hump for a day the weathermen can't possibly screw up, or even wait for winter when the Greens are white. The views are great from that one.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:22 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
Nice of Joe to let you catch up for the dual finish.

This was more me forcing him to catch up than letting him. :P

Yup, forked by the weatherman again. We had service for pretty much the entire hike so I was going on my NOAA app and it was saying partly cloudy at our location. Not, you're in a cloud with 100% overcast. :evil:
Anyway, as Bob said, the woods on Bucklin Trail were beautiful. And we did get some cool views under the clouds. So as Bob said, not a total loss. And we're now poised for finish together on "The Hump" on a ***(Great!)*** :evil: day. :D

Plus, Bob was the first person To see me deliberately, hike without a camera. I novelty in itself. 8)

Did Take it with for Quechee George, just not on the hike.

And just a few phone pics.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:33 am

Quote:
Plus, Bob was the first person To see me deliberately, hike without a camera. I novelty in itself. 8)

Deliberately doing this does not compute. I did it once by accident. I remember it like it was yesterday. Mothers Day 2013. The Marginal Way in Ogunquit. Still wake up in a cold sweat once in a while over it. Giving me anxiety just thinking about it! :shock: :lol:

Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:08 am

Granite Guy wrote:
Quote:

Deliberately doing this does not compute. I did it once by accident. I remember it like it was yesterday. Mothers Day 2013. The Marginal Way in Ogunquit. Still wake up in a cold sweat once in a while over it. Giving me anxiety just thinking about it! :shock: :lol:

Well, I'd already been there and it wasn't looking to good. So I figured the phone was good enough. Sure was nice hiking without, "Ten Ton Tilly". :D

Only one time did I forget my camera and I also remember it quite well. I'm sure Becky does too, since she was in the car with me all the way Cardigan. :evil: :shock: :evil:

Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:54 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Ten ton till Tilley? Yeah that 7300 does weigh a ton. I played about with one in best buy. Builds grip strength!

Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]