Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Columbus day 20-16. A series of short Hikes. 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Columbus day 20-16. A series of short Hikes.
This was now the third, of our 4 days in the Whites that the weatherman guess us the
shaft. :evil: Sunday night there was a big fat sun in the forecast with mild temps.
Monday it was cold, a 3000' ceiling, and very windy. The plan had been Webster up the
Webster Cliff Trail. We took our time heading to Crawford. I stopped in the parking lot for
notch view and Dismal Pool to see if the plants needed watering. 8) When I openned the
I almost got my arm ripped off. Thank-god I hung on because I would have had some serious
hinge damage if I'd let go.

Took a couple shots here. One of the notch and one of a very dismal looking Dismal Pool.

We drove as far as the Willey House and could see Webster was totally socked in. I
briefly thought about just heading up thinking it might clear we could see a rime/ice
coating on the trees at elevation which meant the WCT could be slick. No Thanks! :shock:

What to do? First I thought maybe Avalon but even that was in the clouds at that time.
Hmmmm? OK, lets just start with Willard and go from there. Probably got on trail around
9:30 and reached the summit around 10:30 to only a handle full of people.

Webster was almost in the clear beofre we headed down. But it sure looked frosty up
there and most likely would have been a challenge to stay upright on that trail. 8)

After getting back to the car we wanted to go over to the Highland Center, again to
water the plants. When we were going to head back to the car I noticed the sign pointing
to the Around The Lake Tr. and Red Bench over Look. When coming down Willard we'd
decided to do the lift and hike to Mt Oscar at Bretton Woods. But I wanted to kill some time
hoping the higher peaks would clear. So Around the Lake to the Red Bench we went. If you're
not red-lining, skip it. :P The lake is tiny and the Red bench just overlooks train tracks. :roll:

Well, it's good for this. 8)

I wonder how long it's been since you could see something from here. Maybe if there were
no clouds you could see George. :roll:

They do have a neat new jungle jim at the Highland Center but it's only for kids. It will support
an adult though. :D

Finally, Bretton Woods and Oscar. We had a bite to eat and up the lift we went.

And as usual, Oscar did not disappoint.

Great day over all. :D

Click Pik 4 Pix

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:33 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Columbus day 20-16. A series of short Hikes.
We had our own little lake walk not too far from you Columbus Day - Saco Lake! Then we headed down to Mt. Stanton. Stanton was a good choice for such a windy day - plenty of views, but nice wind breaks from the trees.

Nice shot of the two of you on Willard.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:37 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Columbus day 20-16. A series of short Hikes.
Always a bummer when the weathermen jerk you around but it looks like you made the best of it. Low elevation hikes are best for foliage anyhow. Needless to say the color looks great, but that jungle gym, wow?! Is that open to the public? My kids will LOVE the thing and I can totally use it to lure them into the area for a hike with the promise of using it after!! :twisted:

JustJoe wrote:
So Around the Lake to the Red Bench we went. If you're
not red-lining, skip it.

Skip it?? I think this is my favorite picture of the bunch!

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]