Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Northwood Meadows/Meadow Lake - 10/13/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Northwood Meadows/Meadow Lake - 10/13/16
I set out to check out the foliage in Pawtuckaway this afternoon. Well, there is hardly any there. Not sure if it's the drought or if it's just a late arrival. Either way I decided to look elsewhere as I wanted to play around with some HDR pictures. I debated between Smith Pond in Bear Brook State Park and Meadow Lake in Northwood Meadows State Park. Northwood won. I started out on Dashingtown Road but quickly took the Huckings Orchard Trail. It has no orchard, nor anything else of note, but makes a nice alternative to the dirth road walk/universal access trail, and after a half mile of woods you come to Meadow Lake. I had been here before an thought the foliage would be good, but apparently there are more pines than I thought surrounding the lake. There were good clumps of foliage in spots but it wasn't as plentiful as I expected. It was enough to play around with some HDR photos however, so I made the mile long loop around on the Lake Trail, stopping by Betty Meadow briefly but it started raining, so I decided against circling around it, even though it was the most colorful area of the park. Another day. Today I finished the loop and headed out on Dashingtown Road and called it a day. This is a nice little hike, 2 miles long, mostly level and easy enough for almost anyone. Nothing grand, but enjoyable all the same. That about sums it up. So, without further adieu, the pix... 8)

Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:25 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Northwood Meadows/Meadow Lake - 10/13/16
That looks like a nice place! I bet it's not that far, either, considering you were at P-tuk first. I'll have to look it up.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:15 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Nice little place and not too far. Maybe 20 minutes from Pawtuckaway. Great for kids (and grand-kids I suspect :wink: ) And only ten minutes from this gem. http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=7762 Which I suspect looks amazing in foliage season. Hmmm, that gives me an idea!! :idea: 8)

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:45 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks! And I remember that report, too!

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:14 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Nice, might have to head over there with my wife this weekend if it's not raining all weekend...we've been there a couple of times but it was a few years ago, and never in the fall. Maybe there's still enough color to make it worth it.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Northwood is a great spot for a stroll in the woods. My GF and I have often met there on a weeknight for a quiet walk around the pond. The heron and beavers are fairly active and always fun to watch.

Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]