Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Dickey/Welch 10/8/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Dickey/Welch 10/8/16
This was the first of 4 days in the Whites for Becky and I. And the first of the blown forecasts. :evil:
The original plan was to do "The Nubble" but with the overcast I decided to w/D would be better.
Not that the views aren't great there, but "The Nubble" desires a better day. Especially since Becky Hadn't
been yet. So just as I was approaching exit 28 on 93, I figured why not just do W/D.

We arrived to a full house at the parking lot. Just a couple spots left at 9:30. There were a couple dozen
getting ready to head out. But all was good, as everyone was headed counter clockwise. Maybe all the
newbies think you have to hike it as W/D. Another reason could be this. I'm not sure exactly whats on
the kiosk, but the only trail sign at the end of the lot is this one. (From another day)

There is no sign sending you in the clockwise direction. All you see is this trail, that looks overgrown
with what appears to have a log blocking the way. Like, this is not the trail.

Not until you head up the above trail for 100' or so do you come to this.

I remember my first time there, after starting out counter clockwise, wondering where the heck
the other end of the loop was. Long story short, we were alone until reaching Dickey. We got passed
by 2 early birds but that's it. In sort order we were at the first ledges and treated to great foliage.

More climbing and see, not another sole in sight.

Then once on Dickey, we quickly headed over to the north ledge. Undetected I might add. 8)
Which was as great as always.

We had the place to ourselves for must of our stay. We were getting ready to leave and a lone hiker
showed up. I had to ask her if she saw us fun the summit ledge or if she knew about it. Low and
behold, the Map Adventures Map, White Mountains, shows a .2 mile long trail going to that ledge.
Did not know that.

Once we headed back to the summit things changed.

From then on we had to pull over, for as many as a dozen at a time to pass. But after the pass,
we were alone again. This was much better than if we had to keep trying to pass slower hikers. Which
would have happened and been a nightmare.

When we were about .5 miles from finishing, we were passed by a double, then a single. That's all
we saw heading the way we were. And we were still passing people heading up. Definitely dodged a
bullet on this one. Once done and heading out, there were cars parked at least 1/4 mile down Orris Rd.
Which according to Steve Smith, there's no parking allowed.

But even with the so-so weather and the masses (Fran. Ridge like) it was a pretty good first day. :)

Click Pik 4 Pix

Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Dickey/Welch 10/8/16
Love WD, or DW. Doesn't matter to me since I generally get there before the masses. Great little hike, and the only place I've ever seen Cedar Waxwings.

Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I saw that little spur on the Map Adventures map. It is NOT on the AMC map. It also had a cairn on it if I remember correctly. I'm sure we'll go back there again and check it out!

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:11 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

You're braver than I. I wouldn't have even thought about that one on a holiday weekend. Nor have I ever done it clockwise. The sign gets me every time. 8) Map Adventures makes the best mass produced maps IMO. Their Acadia one also has some trail segments like the one you mentioned here that the AMC one does not.

Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

The one time I did this loop I went CCW. I couldn't tell you why though. I guess you'd rather go up that one big steep smooth ledge rather than down it. Perhaps the first peak is closer going this way. That spur ledge looked like a kind of obvious place that you'd want to go to. In fact it looked higher than the peak the actual trail goes over. If I'm not mistaken that brings you over towards the abandoned trail that goes over Foss and heads to Tecumseh. I dug around in the woods around there looking for it but didn't find it. All the more reason to go back with more info I suppose.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:49 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

I always love doing Welch-Dickey just so I can use my standard lame joke of standing on Welch and saying "hey Welch, I can see your Dickey!" Yes, I know, there is something deeply wrong with me. :lol:

Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]