Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 4th Connecticut Lake on the top of NH 
Master Mountaineer

4th Connecticut Lake on the top of NH
This is the last trip report from our vacation a week ago. We figured we would go for an easy one and head for the US/Canadian Border at the top of NH to hike to the smallest, but most important Connecticut Lake…The 4th Connecticut Lake.
Parking for the hike is at the Border Crossing. There is a sign that leads you around the Border and Customs Building to the trail. Along the way you can see the where the US and Canada Border is. Cheryl and I were in different countries at one point, but I came back as the grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the border, I looked! :lol:
At the trailhead there is a sign in log and just so you know there is also a sign showing the dogs are not allowed. First time we were here 10 years ago we had our dog with us, so we had to come back the next day without her to hike the trail. The whole trail if you include the loop around the lake is 1.9 miles. This is a hike the whole family could do, we saw a group coming down with young children. The 1st ½ mile has a couple steep sections, but very doable. I had a bum knee when we did it because of a geocache half way up the Flume Cascades…UGH! I just took it slow and it was fine.
Along the whole trail are boundary markers in the ground showing when you cross into Canada and back. The first time we did this our son was young and got out kick out of leaving the country and then coming back in along the trail. The trail is well defined and easy to follow. There are some mucky spots, but again, this is not a hard trail. When you are coming back down you will get some views of the Canadian Mountains.
Once you get up to the lake you can go right or left, we chose to go to the left. The lake is only 2.5 acres with a max depth of 5 feet. We were surprised to see any water in it with the drought we are having. Heading around the lake from the left and going about ¾ of the way will bring you to the reason why this lake is important. We listened for the babbling brook and came upon the beginning of the Connecticut River, the greatest and longest river in New England. It is hard to believe looking at this little lake that is the beginning of a mighty river. Very cool and well worth the little hike to the little lake! 8)
The Video best viewed at 1080p60
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqaoH2hKXkI

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:50 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: 4th Connecticut Lake on the top of NH
So do you need a passport for this hike?! :lol: Looks like an interesting and scenic little hike. I got chased through the woods by a rutting bull moose near there about 20 years ago. Not something I'd like to repeat. I'll keep this one in mind for whenever I get up that way for Magalloway. Having something to do other than just Magalloway would make the trip much more worth it to me.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Belle marche, Chuck et Cheryl. Maintenant, vous avez besoin aller aux montagnes des Cantons de l'Est du Québec :wink: ! Mont Mégantic est une excellent marche pour vous. Cette montagne a les belle vues, et les sentiers difficiles et faciles.

...What? You did say you wanted to drive the RV into Canada, so here's some French practice for ya :twisted: !

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
So do you need a passport for this hike?! :lol: Looks like an interesting and scenic little hike. I got chased through the woods by a rutting bull moose near there about 20 years ago. Not something I'd like to repeat. I'll keep this one in mind for whenever I get up that way for Magalloway. Having something to do other than just Magalloway would make the trip much more worth it to me.

There are a few other interesting hikes in the area, even more interesting if you have a low clearance vehicle to get to their trailheads with! It is a long haul to get to these places. We were camping at Sugarloaf II in Zealand and it took us at least 2 hrs to get there.

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:22 pm
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:

I can understand not wanting to run into a rutting bull moose again! :shock: No passport needed! :) Besides Magalloway, there is Deer Mountain, Garfield Falls, Hells Gate (back entrance) and of course there is always the bushwhack to the cave on the backside of Magalloway. Oh yeah, on the way up or out stop at Grampy's near Young's the rib's are the best I have ever had!!!!! Interesting place too, you can leave 'your' mark. Go, you'll understand. :lol:

hiker0200 wrote:
Belle marche, Chuck et Cheryl. Maintenant, vous avez besoin aller aux montagnes des Cantons de l'Est du Québec :wink: ! Mont Mégantic est une excellent marche pour vous. Cette montagne a les belle vues, et les sentiers difficiles et faciles.

...What? You did say you wanted to drive the RV into Canada, so here's some French practice for ya :twisted: !

Very good Spencer, this is what we came up with, how did we do...
Beautiful walking, Chuck and Cheryl. Now, you need to go to the mountains of the Eastern Townships of Quebec :wink: ! Mont Mégantic is an excellent market for you. This Mountain has the beautiful views, and the difficult paths and easy.

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

There are a few other interesting hikes in the area, even more interesting if you have a low clearance vehicle to get to their trailheads with! It is a long haul to get to these places. We were camping at Sugarloaf II in Zealand and it took us at least 2 hrs to get there.

You guys stay right around the corner from the campground we stay at in Twin Mountain. :)

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Another unique hike! I'm sure if throw the passport in the pack just Incase. I do find it odd the trail just meanders the border like this. And there is no giant swath like you see near boundary peak.

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:25 am
Sovereign Woodsman

WeRmudfun wrote:
Beautiful walking, Chuck and Cheryl. Now, you need to go to the mountains of the Eastern Townships of Quebec :wink: ! Mont Mégantic is an excellent market for you. This Mountain has the beautiful views, and the difficult paths and easy.

Good enough :wink: . That's the literal translation of what I wrote, but it can be translated more casually. Gotta love foreign languages :lol:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]