Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 10 mins on the Wildcat Ridge Trail 
Sovereign Woodsman

10 mins on the Wildcat Ridge Trail
It was a perfect day to tackle the Wildcat Ridge Trail. I have been wanting to get up there for some time. Saturday was the day.
Solo so only my pace to be concerned with.
Light pack as it was forecast to be a mild day - temperature wise.
Camping in Jefferson so no need to rush, no deadlines, no time restraints, no work to get back for.
Yeah. What I had not thought through was that my plan was to hike up the WRT and then hike down Polecat. Yeah. I know. Ski trails are designed for skiing.
But I did not want to hike back down the WRT - my old knees and hips would rebel and with the chance of rain it didn't seem like a good plan.
What I didn't think about was the road walk back uphill to my car parked at the Glen Ellis Falls lot. I loath road walks. IDK what it is about them.
I think it's like GG and the 48...I just try to avoid them at all cost. SO I got to the first ledges, soaked in the limited views,
chatted with a woman whose dog was determined to slip off the rocks, took a few pics and headed back down.
It worked out really well for me as I ended up at a hike that is one our views list. One I hadn't done previously. That tr once I upload the pics.
But for now....10 mins of the WRT in 4 pics

Crossing the Ellis River

Easy enough trail

Then there's a whole lot of this

But soon you get to this

Re-crossing the Ellis

Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:43 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: 10 mins on the Wildcat Ridge Trail
Not sure I would have wanted to do that road walk either, and I certainly wouldn't want to hike all the way back down from E peak to the river. When I did this trail (for the second time) a few weeks ago, just getting up to E peak was another one of those "wow, I don't remember it going on for this long" experiences.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:17 am
Sovereign Woodsman

BobC wrote:
When I did this trail (for the second time) a few weeks ago, just getting up to E peak was another one of those "wow, I don't remember it going on for this long" experiences.

Good to know. And that's the feeling I had on my bail-out hike. In my next tr.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:19 am
Sovereign Woodsman

If u had a mtn bike u could have spotted it at wildcat thats what we did when we hiked it this summer, it was all downhill, took only a few minutes! Great hike, but challenging and steep and slow. We ran into a bunch of at hikers, i could not commend them enough for lugging their packs up that beast. Tough one for sure.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

hiking lady wrote:
If u had a mtn bike u could have spotted it at wildcat thats what we did when we hiked it this summer

Yeah HL. That would have been smart. I was not smart.

Earlier this summer I dropped my pack at 19MBT, drove to Wildcat Ski area and rode my bike back down to 19MBT.
The problem arose when I bailed on the traverse and hiked back down 19MBT and then had to ride the bike uphill to my car.
Didn't bring any water with me. Stupid move. Incredibly hot day. I am still traumatized by it so didnt bring the bike this past weekend.
It's all good. I'll be back.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:37 pm

Heh, you think 10 minutes on it sucks....trying spending 3 work trips a year for six years to maintain it! :twisted:

All kidding aside, it was kind of fun adopting it, even if the AMC were miserable taskmasters. I have done the roadwalk back a couple times after doing work trips and it wasn't all that bad. Throw in the ear phones, turn on the music, and just walk. 8)

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]