Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Cannon Mountain 9-28-2016 
Master Mountaineer

Cannon Mountain 9-28-2016
On our continuing effort to try and keep the videos updated on our Fire Tower Map, we revisited Cannon Mountain. There was no Fire Tower List when we first completed Cannon. This was the first 4K we ever hiked. Heck it was really the first mountain we ever hiked and it didn’t go well. We were in jean shorts, cotton tee shirts, our back packs came from the dollar store and to top it all off we thought we’d take our 4 month old new puppy who didn’t really know her name yet. That was over 6 years ago and now with roughly 250 summits under our belt, we know a little bit more than we did then. :roll:
We decided to take the same trails we did 6 years ago, making this trip a walk down memory lane. We parked at Lafayette Campground and it seemed strange to see it so empty, but summer is over and this was a Wednesday. We no sooner got on the Lonesome Lake Trail and found the 1st geocache. Continuing along the trail is well maintained and easy to follow. There is about 1000’ of elevation gain by the time you reach the lake. Walking around the lake on the bog bridges is about the only place we encountered any signs of water on the trail. No long after that the trail started to climb over boulders. It becomes a steady up right until the junction with the Kinsman Ridge Trail.
The Kinsman Ridge Trail is the trail I remembered most from the first hike. This trail seemed to go straight up at times and 6 years ago, I had a small meltdown while hiking it. I could not believe, I thought it would be a fun day out for the family. About half way up I couldn’t go any further I thought and looking back, I knew I couldn’t go back down. This time though, it was a fun scramble and we enjoyed it very much. I tried to capture it with the video because last time there was no videos, or pictures of this part of the trail. This section is very steep, but is less than ½ mile long, so before you know it, you are at the junction with the Hi-Cannon Trail.
After the junction it’s like a walk in the park, seems flat almost. The next thing you hit is the Rim Trail which goes around the summit. We headed off to the right first. Stopping to catch the views, we saw our beautiful day at the base of the mountain didn’t apply to the summit. Franconia Notch was socked in the clouds. That was very disappointing, but we could see clearing also. We decided to head to the tramway and café and wait it out a bit.
BTW for dog owners who bring your pets with you, dogs are no longer allowed in the tramway/café area. When we came 6 years ago, we were able to sit outside with our pup and watch the tram. There are signs now on the Rim Trail, saying they are not allowed. They are still allowed on the summit though.
The summit was packed with people, again it was after summer and a Wednesday. The tramway can carry 80 people and it appeared to be full every time it came up. We ate in the café and chatted with some of the riders who were amazed we hiked up. :shock: The skies cleared and we went to the observation tower for our views and saw the footings from the fire tower that once sat next to the tower.
We left the summit and headed down the trail to the Hi-Cannon Trail for our hike down. This trail has a ladder, which I found cool even the first time. There is also some good views of Lonesome Lake and route 93 along the way. Other than that, this trail is also showing strong signs of trail erosion to the point that some sections should probably be rerouted.
We made it back down without any problems, but before we left the mountain, I want to try and see it we could find the reason Cannon is called Cannon, we went to where to we thought we could see it, but to no avail. We asked one of the workers, who had to ask another worker who had to ask another worker, who finally told us we’d never be see this time of year. Never say never, we searched along the mountain at different angles and found the oblong boulder on top of the other boulder that formed…the Cannon.  8)
We posted the video. It is best viewed at 1080p60...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPNnkZnWJCE

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:26 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Cannon Mountain 9-28-2016
Nice trip down memory lane. Interesting how your perspective on a hike can change with more experience. I bet a lot of people look at the short mileage on that one for a first hike (or at least early on in their "career" hike) and are shocked what a mountain can pack into a little two mile long trail. Why did they think you wouldn't see the Cannon this time of year? Too many leaves in the way?? And has anyone gridded the fire towers list yet, or are you guys aiming to be the first?! :D

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 am
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
Nice trip down memory lane. Interesting how your perspective on a hike can change with more experience. I bet a lot of people look at the short mileage on that one for a first hike (or at least early on in their "career" hike) and are shocked what a mountain can pack into a little two mile long trail. Why did they think you wouldn't see the Cannon this time of year? Too many leaves in the way?? And has anyone gridded the fire towers list yet, or are you guys aiming to be the first?! :D

It was a nice trip and so much more enjoyable this time, but I still feel it may have been a little much for our first mountain ever. As for the cannon we were told there were too many leaves to see it. We just kept looking though and eventually was able to make it out by looking up and to the left from the back of the tramway building on the parking lot side. Gridding the fire tower list, at first that made us laugh, but if we continue to keep updating the videos, that may just happen. :roll:

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

more memory lane! I was also going up this mountain five years ago with my now fiance (she has never forgiven me) :twisted: the opposite route you took this day.

the short and wicked steep motif hadn't really hit me yet. Its good for a few laughs. I think this was from my third trip up a 4k and told her that it'd be great and fun! Turns out, I ended up saying, "hey hun! you may wan't to kick it into high gear here. The Sun is about to set!"

No Grizzled facial hair and cotton kills.

No problem! the backpack i had in high school with the broken zipper will be fine!

really it was a fun day. A day her knees will not soon forget. She has made it up a few, not without some complaining though. Its tough to get her back out with me under the promise of no death marches. The promise of good food and drinks at the end somehow coaxes her out from time to time. It is tough to get someone to say that 4-5 thousand foot days are ok though. :?

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:56 pm
Master Mountaineer

thegibba wrote:
more memory lane! I was also going up this mountain five years ago with my now fiance (she has never forgiven me) :twisted: the opposite route you took this day.

the short and wicked steep motif hadn't really hit me yet. Its good for a few laughs. I think this was from my third trip up a 4k and told her that it'd be great and fun! Turns out, I ended up saying, "hey hun! you may wan't to kick it into high gear here. The Sun is about to set!"

No Grizzled facial hair and cotton kills.

No problem! the backpack i had in high school with the broken zipper will be fine!

really it was a fun day. A day her knees will not soon forget. She has made it up a few, not without some complaining though. Its tough to get her back out with me under the promise of no death marches. The promise of good food and drinks at the end somehow coaxes her out from time to time. It is tough to get someone to say that 4-5 thousand foot days are ok though. :?

That was entertaining, glad to know we weren't the only ones. Gotta love cotton. LOL

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

ya know what? cotton doesn't smell nearly as bad after a hike as synthetics do. synthetics can smell like the bowels of the eath.

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Omg too funny, cruel gibba, amazing she didnt dump u, that is a tough trail! U look quite young in that pic.

Didnt we all start out that way? Jeans and sneakers and cotton?

My first doozy was up falling waters, but i was only 20 and then rushed home to work a 3-11 shift!

Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:07 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Since we're Cannon reminiscing. My first time up Cannon was 10 years ago in October. No jeans but this was my winter (conditions) outfit. :lol: Great first impression of the east ledges. :(

Here's my very small JanSport backpack. Complete with frozen camel back bladder and nalgene.

Yup, very cold. And I briefly got some serious chills before I headed down. :roll:

Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:53 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

JustJoe wrote:
Since we're Cannon reminiscing. My first time up Cannon was 10 years ago in October. No jeans but this was my winter (conditions) outfit. :lol: Great first impression of the east ledges. :(

JOE! You look so.....YOUNG(ish)! :lol: But then again, I look quite different from then too. :oops:

Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]