Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Cherry Mountain (Mount Martha) 9-26-2016 
Master Mountaineer

Cherry Mountain (Mount Martha) 9-26-2016
We are back on vacation, we were going to take the RV to PA, but the bike rack we ordered did not come in on time, so we reverted back to our old fateful, Twin Mountain. This adventure brought us back to Cherry Mountain (Mount Martha) to update the video for our Fire Tower Map. The first time we hiked this, we didn’t even know about the fire tower list. We had hiked it for 52WAV (a list we are not officially doing, but only have 18 peaks left on. :shock: :lol: ) and the Views and Brews list, which it is no longer on.
We started the day out on Cherry Mountain Road to check out the Fayban Guard Station and decided to hike up the Cherry Mountain Trail from that side. It’s a snowmobile trail, that after a few miles we figured anyone doing the Fire Tower List was not likely to be interested in hiking 3. 7 miles when you could hike 1.9 instead. We saw on the GPS that we were close to the Cherry Mountain summit (true summit?) so we bushwhacked to it just to bag it then turned around and headed for RT 115 to hike in that way.
We remembered from last time that this mountain is a steady ‘UP’ and doesn’t really ever let up at all. For saying it’s only 1.9 to the summit, you have to work for it. The first mile and ½ is steady, but the last 2-3 tenths of a mile is steady were a relentless ‘UP”. We really got the hearts rates going by the time we hit the trail junction with the snowmobile trail. Once we got there though it was an easy 0.2
mile to the summit.
By the time we got to the summit it was later in the day after hiking in the morning, but the views were still great. This is an amazing little mountain with great views. We checked out the fire tower remains which are only the footings, had a snack, then headed back down.
For anyone interested, we did post our usual video and it is best viewed at 1080p60…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsj1SLtmibk

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Cherry Mountain (Mount Martha) 9-26-2016
There's nowhere in that behemoth you could put a couple bikes while driving?! :D

That is one sturdy looking 100 year old cabin. Guess they don't build em like they used to. I had no idea it existed either. Pretty cool. I'm going to have to check it out. Great view from this little mountain too. The drive is kind of long for a little hike so I haven't been here yet. Need something up there to pair it up with and make it worth the ride. Pine Mounatin perhaps. Another enlightening video as always.

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:22 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Granite Guy wrote:
The drive is kind of long for a little hike so I haven't been here yet. Need something up there to pair it up with and make it worth the ride. Pine Mounatin perhaps. Another enlightening video as always.

Owl's Head, just a mile along, makes it much worth it (and is actually better than Martha itself.) If you have a second car you can even do the traverse and come down the old slide trail. But Maybe a good pair up would be to also grab The Nubble in Twin Mountain (and both these peaks are conveniently on the HNH NEV :wink: ) since if you are using 93 as your main route north it would be along the way. 8)

Brian

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:00 am
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
There's nowhere in that behemoth you could put a couple bikes while driving?! :D

That is one sturdy looking 100 year old cabin. Guess they don't build em like they used to. I had no idea it existed either. Pretty cool. I'm going to have to check it out. Great view from this little mountain too. The drive is kind of long for a little hike so I haven't been here yet. Need something up there to pair it up with and make it worth the ride. Pine Mounatin perhaps. Another enlightening video as always.

Getting the bikes in the RV wasn't the problem. It was getting them to all our planned destinations once we got there with our SUV. :shock: :)

Like Brian said, you can add Owl's Head to the hike for some better views. We did both of them the first time. Also if you really want a longer hike do what we did in the morning. Start on Cherry Mountain road off RT302, check out the cabin, then continue along the road, there is a nice shot of Mount Deception behind a pond. Keep going until the Cherry Mountain trailhead and hike in the snowmobile trail. I believe that was 3.7 miles just to the summit.

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]