Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 52WAV's Mt Parker, NH 9/17/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

52WAV's Mt Parker, NH 9/17/16
Saturday, Becky and I hiked 52WAV's Mt Parker. She wanted to hike but as usual as of late,
it had to pretty a moderate hike do to the lack of hiking for her. But there's nothing that fits
the bill, close to us. ( I've no real interest in the Belknaps) And I'm not driving to the Whites
for anything less than a 6 mile hike. I hadn't been to Mt Parker since 2010 and Becky hadn't been
there at all. I gave her the AMC numbers for the hike. Totals Distance 7.80 mi, Elev Gain +2886 ft.
She was fine with it.

We started the hike on the Mt Langdon Tr. just off Cobb Farm Rd. in Bartlett.

This is a moderate hike for the most part all except for the -225' PUD. :evil: The trail
goes over what I'd call the west peak of Mt Langdon.

A taste of what's to come.

2.5 hours later, we arrived at the summit. Just in time to see the start of a wedding. That's
what I said. Shawn & Kateri from PA. Along with friends who performed the ceremony.

We apologized for interrupting and they as well for having a fare amount of stuff spread around
on the summit area. I took a few quick shots before heading to my secret spot. 8)

On my first visit to Mt Parker I had no prior knowledge of an awesome southerly view to
be had from a south facing ledge that is a bushwhack. I just remember looking through the
trees at Carrigain thinking I wish I could see more. For what ever reason I decided to push through
fairly thick spruce in hopes it might open up. This was long before I looked at G.E. of any
area I'd be heading to, to find gems like this. I told Becky just follow me, it will be worth it.
She hates, loathes bushwhacks. I told her it's only a couple hundred feet, to this. :D

Not quite a 180 degree view but it's pretty damned good. I said this the first time I went there
and it still stands. Why isn't there a view, spur trail to that ledge? I thought I'd found something
when I went there but of course I wasn't the first. I found out in later readings that the 2 premier
whackers to unique views ledges had already been. Steve Smith and John Compton.

We had a nice relaxing 45 minute lunch, soaking up the rays on this ledge. There's nothing like
having a spot like this to yourself.

After leaving we hit the summit for a last look.

A (made by the bride) bouquet left on the summit cairn.

Becky had to make one last post on FB. :roll: 8)

Back to the flats.

And done.

As all that were up north Saturday knows. It was a beauty. :)

Click Pik 4 Pix

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: 52WAV's Mt Parker, NH 9/17/16
Been trying to get to this hike for a couple years now. If I ever get a day off work this fall it is priority #2...maybe 3...but definitely #1 in NH. I will also definitely be searching for your secret south facing ledge. Wow what a view! :shock: Cave Mountain is a nice little side destination too if you find yourself back in the area and worthy of a short detour I think. And what kind of clown shoes are the wedding party wearing? Those soles look like they're about 4 inches thick on them!

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:05 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
Cave Mountain is a nice little side destination too if you find yourself back in the area and worthy of a short detour I think.

8)

Granite Guy wrote:
And what kind of clown shoes are the wedding party wearing? Those soles look like they're about 4 inches thick on them!

No idea. But the groom was saying how he posted on social media that they were doing this and got all kinds of free gear from different sources, including the funky boots. :shock:

Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:33 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

JustJoe wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
Cave Mountain is a nice little side destination too if you find yourself back in the area and worthy of a short detour I think.

8)

Granite Guy wrote:
And what kind of clown shoes are the wedding party wearing? Those soles look like they're about 4 inches thick on them!

No idea. But the groom was saying how he posted on social media that they were doing this and got all kinds of free gear from different sources, including the funky boots. :shock:

Wow, I recognize Mike, but who is that fat barstard there? :twisted: :lol:

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:37 pm

So, I checked into the moon boots. It appears they may actually be worth a look...

https://www.outsideonline.com/1929791/gear-show-2015-under-armour-fat-tire-gtx-shoes

Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
So, I checked into the moon boots. It appears they may actually be worth a look...

https://www.outsideonline.com/1929791/gear-show-2015-under-armour-fat-tire-gtx-shoes

I believe this is what they were wearing. Might be goofy looking but they sure look comfortable.

Hoka One One

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:08 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

so thats how you get free stuff. You just have to get married. I should convince my fiance that we should do it this way and get funky boots. Im sure the Budget would be more friendly also. 8)

Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Yeah that's probably them. They do look goofy but now I want to try them too see just how comfy they are (just don't tell my Keens). :) They'd also go nicely with the Dumb and Dumber tuxedos Gibba! :lol:

Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Nice report Joe. Mt Parker is a gem. I'll have to look for that ledge next time I'm up there. I'm not a big fan of bushwhacking either but I can take it for a view like that.

Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Ahem, I believe you mean the HNH NEV's Mt. Parker. 8)

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:11 am

BobC wrote:
I'll have to look for that ledge next time I'm up there. I'm not a big fan of bushwhacking either but I can take it for a view like that.

I know I'm getting old but didn't I tell about this ledge when you went there a couple years ago and you
blew it off? 8)

krpayer wrote:

Actually, I meant the NH3K's. :twisted:

Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:23 am

krpayer wrote:

Kris is my hero! :D

Brian

Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:19 pm

JustJoe wrote:
BobC wrote:
I'll have to look for that ledge next time I'm up there. I'm not a big fan of bushwhacking either but I can take it for a view like that.

I know I'm getting old but didn't I tell about this ledge when you went there a couple years ago and you
blew it off? 8)

Yes but the more I hike with you, I guess your ideas are infecting me. I really, really want to check this out next time I'm on Mt Parker! 8)

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

That bushwhack makes another visit worth it, wow! Spectacular! And u had it all to yourself? Love the clouds and fantastic view! Gorgeous!

I had a pair of hoka running shoes that i managed to lose on tenney mtn. They r challenging to hike in because the sole is so high off the ground it was an ankle twister. Although they were comfortable, i noticed they hurt when i was running long distances. The hiking boots may be better, but buyer beware. And tgey r expensive.

I highly suggest a mtn top wedding, we did it in sedona AZ, cheap and beautiful views.

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]