Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 9-17-16 Zealand - Bonds traverse 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

9-17-16 Zealand - Bonds traverse
Had a fantastic day doing a Zealand - Bonds traverse with Garry and his son Jeff. I had done this hike twice before; this time it was done partly to help Jeff in his quest to finish the NH48 (he has only Isolation left now). But I didn't need much urging to do this hike; it's a great trip and the forecast looked really good. It turned out to be even better than I had expected - shorts and short sleeves for almost the whole day, it was just a bit chilly when we started out on Zealand trail. The hike took 12 1/2 hours, a bit longer than we expected because Jeff twisted his ankle towards the end of the hike and had to hobble out for the last 6 miles. We saw a lot of people yesterday out enjoying the hike and the beautiful weather. It was probably the best weather I've had on a Bonds traverse. With some help from Garry's wife (he had spotted a car at Lincoln Woods Friday night, and she dropped us off at Zealand trailhead), we were on trail at 6:30 AM, with no need to come back here at the end of the day. Temperature was in the high 30s but we quickly warmed up and stopped to zip off the pant legs and switch to shorts for the rest of the day.

On Zealand trail

Already seeing some color

We stopped briefly at Zeacliff outlook, where Jeff had his first "wow moment". I promised him that it would get even more incredible when we got out in the open near Guyot.

On the Twinway, on the way to Zealand summit

We ran into this Spruce Grouse on the Twinway, he wouldn't get out of our way until we waved our poles around

Jeff on Zealand summit

After leaving Zealand it's somewhat of a slog of ups and downs until you break out into the open near Guyot summit. This is where Jeff had his second "wow moment". It's hard to prepare anyone for this, and even the pictures never do it justice. Just an incredible spot.

All of Franconia ridge can be seen in the background

Bondcliff trail ahead

Panorama near Guyot

Lots and lotsa mountains

We continued on towards West Bond. I was getting into a real low-energy state and looking forward to lunch. After you get to the junction with the West Bond spur trail, it's just a half-mile to West Bond but I was really starting to feel it. But once we got up on West Bond, it's a nice morale boost.

Ridge with Bondcliff on the right

Mt Bond

Looking over the ridge to many more peaks in the distance

Panorama from West Bond

More views from West Bond

After having lunch on West Bond, my energy level went back up, and from there it's about a mile to Mt Bond, which went a lot easier for me with some food in my stomach. It was pretty crowded on Mt Bond, as it was for the whole day.

Jeff on Mt Bond

Views from Mt Bond

Coming off Bond and heading to Bondcliff

Jeff on Bondcliff ledges

Views from Bondcliff

We didn't stay too long on Bondcliff because it was about 2:30, and we wanted to get out before dark. So we headed out on the long 9-mile trip back to Lincoln Woods. It didn't feel as bad as previous trips. I just told myself it was like 3 separate hikes....4.4 miles to the next junction, then 1.9 to the next, then a little under 3 on the Lincoln Woods trail. Jeff turned around at one point to talk to us while still walking, and twisted his ankle pretty badly. That slowed him down but not too badly; we got to the car at 7:00.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:22 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: 9-17-16 Zealand - Bonds traverse
BobC wrote:
It's hard to prepare anyone for this, and even the pictures never do it justice. Just an incredible spot.

True dat. I've only been twice and on my 2nd, with a new initiate, I said nothing b/c I figured anything I had to say still would not be adequate.

Sux about the twisted ankle, but good he was able to hobble out.

Was this yesterday? A fine day in the mountains for sure!

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:00 am

Not too shabby for an old geezer! :lol:

Actually you ain't that old, especially when compared to Joe who is older than Moses. :twisted:

Greg and I were resting just below the Horn yesterday when he said "looks like Bob did the Bonds today". I said it looks like everybody got perfect weather for these kinds of hikes today. 8)

Brian

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:48 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Lincoln woods sucks all day every day, but it must really suck with a bum ankle! This hike is pretty spectacular though. I third this...

Kathy wrote:
BobC wrote:
It's hard to prepare anyone for this, and even the pictures never do it justice. Just an incredible spot.

True dat. I've only been twice and on my 2nd, with a new initiate, I said nothing b/c I figured anything I had to say still would not be adequate.

It's a shame peaks like this and Clay don't get more pub simply because they don't make the AMC list of "4000 foot high peaks". Oh wait, no it's not. 8)

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Bummer about your friends little mishap on the linwoods trail. The rest of the day I'm sure made up for it though. Everyone I suppose has to have their teeth cut on that trail. The stretch on Guyot has to be one of the most overwhelming views in the whites. Especially after coming from. Zealand. You can see how awesome you say is to become with all the bumps you are about to witness Infront of you. This is up at the top of the lost as far as hikes go in the whites. Top notch guys.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:13 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:
BobC wrote:

What she said. Little Guyot, South Guyot, or what ever you prefer to call that bump, it's one of the very best spots in the Whites.

Great report. Perfect day for a Bonds traverse. To bad about the ankle. Did you come to the rescue with you're first aid kit?

Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:17 am

Kathy - yes, this was on Saturday

Joe - Garry had an ankle brace that Jeff put on...I was going to offer one of my SAM splints though, but it may have been overkill.

As far as the views from Guyot, it may be my favorite point in the hike, when doing it North-to-South (which is the only way I've done the traverse). Sure, the views from the Bond peaks are spectacular. But after hiking for several miles along the Twinway with no views past Zeacliff outlook, and then popping out in that spot, well, it's like getting a shot of adrenaline. I imagine it's a similar feeling if you come from the south and come out of the woods on Bondcliff.

Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Gorgeous! I was going to say where were all the people? But it sounds like it was busy. Love love love that stretch out to guyot. Awesome views. Nice trip Bob. At least the ankle twist for ur friend was at the end of the hike. Yikes. That could have been bad if it was somewhere out in the middle of that hike!

Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]