Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 FOT48 2016 Carter Dome full report 
Sovereign Woodsman

FOT48 2016 Carter Dome full report
I've now lost this tr for the 2nd time. WTH???

Fortunately I saved most of it in a word doc. I do not generally write long trs - in fact I mostly let my pics speak for themselves.
This is an exception. Forewarned is forearmed.

Since I became involved in this event in 2010, I have never hiked in the conditions we experience on Sunday, September 11th, 2016.
Though what we dealt with was much less severe than you guys, and many others who ventured out on this day, it bears being reminded
that it pales in comparison to what those at the World Trade Center dealt with on that fateful day 15 years ago.
As the wind swirled around us on our hike, thoughts were swirling through my head. As the conditions deteriorated and I questioned my mettle -
my thoughts came to those brave firefighters who continued to put one foot in front of the other, with who knows how much weight
on their backs, ascending those stairwells and most likely knowing full well they climbed to their own deaths. I sucked it up, kept my mouth shut, watched my footing and continued upward.

We accomplished our objective of raising and flying our nation’s flag - the symbol of American nationalism and a testament to
the hardiness and valor of all Americans touched by the 9/11 tragedy.

In the days leading up to the scheduled hike on Sunday it became apparent that the weather conditions would continue to deteriorate.
With the forecast calling for strong winds and heavy rains with embedded thunder and lightning storms my team of 12 slowly but surely dwindled.
I get it – the conditions would be less than favorable and I’d rather folks backed out than started out and had to turn back. By Saturday morning I was down to six.
By Saturday night, three: My FOT48 sidekick Drew, my brother Pete and myself. At 5:15 am Sunday morning Pete – my ride – showed up at my door
and said he was out. He was not at all comfortable with the forecast. Though I understood completely, I was disappointed. A quick call to Drew
(he and I live about 5 mins apart) and we agreed to ride together and I was shortly on my way to his house.
After a quick stop for coffee we hit the highway and headed north. It was about 6:15.

We talked on the ride about the possibility of a third meeting us at the th. Dave was supposed to hike but I had not heard from him since Saturday morning
so he was a wildcard. I probably do not have to tell you how freakin’ psyched I was to see Dave’s smiling face when we pulled into the 19MBThead.

After sorting through gear and flagpole segments and the asst. paraphernalia necessary to get Old Glory flying, packing up,
chatting a moment with Jim who stopped to wish us well, speaking a bit with the Wildcat A crew and snapping a quick photo we hit the trail.
It was just after 8.

The learning curve was steep with the lengths of pole sticking up from our packs but this wasn’t our first rodeo and we made good time
to the 1st junction before the skies opened up. It didn’t matter much b/c it was so steamy we were pretty much drenched in sweat at that point anyway.

We made it to the summit in just under 3 hours, with only one fairly close lightning strike that caused pause. I was completely drenched
and while moving wasn’t concerned but now that we’d stopped hypothermia crossed my mind. I quickly ducked into the trees and
stripped off all the wet clothes and put on dry stuff. Thank goodness for pack covers and Ziploc bags!

We got to work assembling the pole sections and figuring out the guy lines.
Karolyn (an old friend) had hustled to catch us and arrived just about the time we were ready to anchor the flagpole.

At almost exactly 12 noon, we were flying. And at almost exactly 12:05 the skies started to clear.

We got some views across the way but other summits still obscured

The crew

Clouds started to lift
View over to Washington on our exit

All in all, another successful FOT48 excursion for this kid. Participation evokes feelings and emotions that are difficult to put into words.
I don’t want to put a political slant on this so will let it go there. If you’ve read this far, I thank you. If you can relate, I need no further explanation.
Peace out.

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: FOT48 2016 Carter Dome full report
Fantastic!!!! I did not know about your "electrical adventure." That must have been scary! Good work all of you!

Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:51 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Beautiful, introspective write up Kathy and way to get it done with the Carter Dome flag. Very nice flag and I wish I could have seen it flying from across the street. Glad you could get a couple hearty souls to join you for the day. Some years it's definitely more of a commitment than others but, as you stated so eloquently, it's nothing compared to what so many went through that fateful day.

It's funny how sitting up in the soup on last 500 feet of Madison you have no idea the outside would has turned to blue skies but l had a feeling that's what was going on. I liked seeing that cloudcapped pic of the Presis to confirm my suspicions and reaffirm my belief that Mother Nature really doesn't like me all that much. Thanks for the time dedication it took to write this up three times.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:28 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Nice write up Kathy. Good job getting her done with the resources you had. Pretty tall pole with only 3 people!

Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:14 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Great job Kathy and crew.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:03 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Tenacity can be a beautiful thing. :D I was honestly amazed we wound up with full coverage. Between pouring rain, substantial rain, thunder and lightning I figured all but the summits with decent tree cover would not see a flag or pole. But a lot of people sucked it up and got it done. Ahhhh tenacity......

Brian

Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]