Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 FOT48 2016 * Mt Passaconaway * 9/11/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

FOT48 2016 * Mt Passaconaway * 9/11/16
I wasn't going to but decided to do a quick write-up on this one. As always, I try to crab a peak
that's one, somewhat sheltered. :wink: And two, one that Matt needs for his 48. He's been doing
this with me since 2010. His choice, mine as well, was Moriah. But figured that would be popular
and possibly hard to get in first. I figured Passaconaway would be easier to get. I'm pretty quick
but the problem was we were in Acadia. And even though we stay in a hotel, the WiFi up there
can be slow. Since Matt wouldn't be able to get on at six, I had to have someone try for me. They
didn't get me in first but we figured we'd just join the group.

This was Team Passaconaway. Steve, Mark (the PC), don't remember the womens names, my bad :oops:
Matt, Rob, Walter, Mark, and there was one more Mark who had to head down as soon as we were set
up because of chills. There would have been a 4th Mark who always helps me but he couldn't make it.

We set out at about 8:45. 9:45, we heard the thunder. 9:30, sheets of rain. 9:35, the 5 minutes it took
everyone to dawn the rain gear, soaked. 10:30, rain gone and blue patches of sky appearing. But drenched
right down to the undies. Which never dried out. I think I got a touch of diaper rash. 8) I did not remember at
all how relentless the climb was once it started form the Kanc, side. This is how I first did Passaconaway.
I was kind of the middle of the pack. So at one point where Passaconaway Cut-Off crosses a slide/open ledge,
4 of the guys were about 25' up this slab and climbing. I said, hey guys, the trail goes to the right down here.
But, I could not resist going up for the view it provided. Which the rest were now claiming that's why they
went up. Ya right! :wink: But, it did show things were looking up. This was after the rain.

It took us a bit longer than it should have so we didn't get the flag up until 12:10 I believe. And, the trees were a
bit taller than other wooded summits I've done which was making it a tad difficult. But we finally got them
flying.

After we got the flags up, changed into dry shirts and socks, we could hear the black hawk. So a few of us
ran to the large open ledge, about 100 yards away, to try and see it. We got that just in time to see it bank
back to the direction it came from.
Others that stayed on the summit could see them in the open door waving. It put the question out there on FOT48
and so far no one else has said they saw it doing a fly-by. Which it seemed to clearly be doing.

About 1:00 a boy scout group, very small, brought up their own flag. This was a very entertaining 15 minutes. :lol:
But they managed to get it flying.

We all had pretty wet butts so I said to the PC if you want to break down a little early, 2:20, that's fine by
me. We'd all been in these wet pants for 4 hours and I for one wanted out of them ASAP. No one had been by for
a while and there wasn't many visitors anyway. Sure enough at 2:50 2 or 3 came up to the summit to see the flag.
Bagged! 8) But really, it was just time for dry.

After looking at my pictures we could see about 22 4K's. But even with the super-zoom, I could only
see the flag on Carrigain.

So another FOT48 in the books. We had a great group and it was nice meeting them all. :)

Click Pik 4 Pix

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:36 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: FOT48 2016 * Mt Passaconaway * 9/11/16
JustJoe wrote:
As always, I try to crab a peak

eeeewwwww, keep your STD's off our summits please! :lol:

Quote:
Others that stayed on the summit could see them in the open door waving. It put the question out there on FOT48
and so far no one else has said they saw it doing a fly-by. Which it seemed to clearly be doing.

When we first spotted him he was coming up low from roughly the Dolly Copp campground area. He was hauling a$$ and flew right over us without so much as a pause heading towards Conway. My first thought was "uh oh, I hope he didn't just make a pick-up and is flying to the hospital in Conway." Thankfully no. The pilot posted in the Facebook group that most of the peaks were just too windy for safe hovering. When Jim asked, he said the turbulence coming off Washington was why they couldn't pause over Wildcat D.

Brian

Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Good on those Scouts making the trip up! We heard some jet zipping across the sky when we were on our way up. We weren't sure if it was some fly by or not.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:00 pm

New Hampshire wrote:
The pilot posted in the Facebook group that most of the peaks were just too windy for safe hovering. When Jim asked, he said the turbulence coming off Washington was why they couldn't pause over Wildcat D.

Brian

So, did they take any photos of peaks they were able to get close too? And what FB group? Their own?

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:12 pm

JustJoe wrote:
New Hampshire wrote:
So, did they take any photos of peaks they were able to get close too? And what FB group? Their own?

As far as I know they got no pictures. At the least he did not post any except for a picture of his flight helmet with the Flags on the 48 patch he was given.

And it was on the Flags on the 48 Facebook group. 8)

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:24 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nicely done Joe and P-Way team (and Scout Troop). Great shot of the blackhawk.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:41 pm

Hey Joe, I did send a PM on Flags. We weren't sure based on the way he flew past us that it might have been a rescue. Glad to hear it was the fly-over.
The flag and pic's looks awesome, great job as usual!!!

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Nice job on Passaconaway. Looks like things shaped up quicker elsewhere than in the northern Presis. We heard what I thought was the blackhawk, everyone else seems to think it was a jet of some sort. Whatever it was I've done this for the last 4 years and still haven't had a glimpse of the thing.

JustJoe wrote:
I wasn't going to but decided to do a quick write-up on this one.

I think it's good to do the reports and keep spreading the word of the event. If there hadn't been reports and discussions of it on this site I probably still wouldn't know about it. It is amazing how many people have no clue why you are climbing up with a segmented flag pole, and how many any other day of the year still know nothing of what happens in our hills on this awesome day each year.

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Nice job Joe!

Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:32 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
drenched
right down to the undies. Which never dried out.

Yep. :(
JustJoe wrote:

MAN! I love your shots.

The trees close in like that would have been nice on CD - we didn't fly my 9-11 flag b/c we were concerned about too much drag. We cringed every time we heard the pvc snapping.

Good for getting the job done. Way to represent.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:07 am

Kathy wrote:
The trees close in like that would have been nice on CD - we didn't fly my 9-11 flag b/c we were concerned about too much drag. We cringed every time we heard the pvc snapping.

A well justified fear. Our flag was supposed to fly. But with two of us just holding the pole while another tried c-clamping the pole down was too much. The top part of Jim's rig (made of conduit) bent like a noodle, so we had to go for the drape-over-the-side method. Oh well, now we get to experiment with a new pole rig for next year! :D

Brian

Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:00 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Good for everyone who participated! I was impressed with the improv that many did due to the weather. Everyone did well with the situation.

Joe - great colors in your photos. Dramatic skies as usual for you.

Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]