Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Cascade and Porter (NY ADKs) 9/3/16. 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Cascade and Porter (NY ADKs) 9/3/16.
So, it had to happen eventually. After seeing Gibba's and GG's Marcy trip report Greg got the itch. I personally have had the urge for years now, as I have visited the ADK's smaller cousins to the south, the Catskills, a couple times, but could not find time to pull the trigger. That all changed yesterday. 8)

Greg and I met at the Warner park and ride, our usual jump off point for Vermont excursions. According to Google maps the drive to the Cascade/Porter trail head should only take us 3 hours and 21 minutes. Of course, that was what I remembered from a couple months ago when I had last checked it. I made a huge mistake in not re-checking the actual directions, and this mistake would cost us about an added hour in the morning (more on this in a second), and 40 minutes on the drive home. To make a long story short we took 89 to Rt.4 through Killington and Rutland, into New York where we picked up 87 at exit 20. I had since realized we should have jumped off 89 higher up and crossed into NY on the Champlain Bridge. Oh well, lesson learned for the next visit. Of course, things were not helped by the fact that we managed to stumble into the midst of a bike race taking place on Rt. 9N which delayed us 20 minutes in traffic. :evil: :evil: Once through that we shot up 87, took exit 30 and headed through Keene to the trail head.

Greg had read that this was a popular hike and would probably be packed. Sure enough the cars had easily exploded out of the limited parking and sprawled on either roadside ala Lafayette Campground.

Well, maybe it wasn't QUITE that bad, and considering we were just getting on trail at about 10:30 it could have been worse. Speaking of on trail, the first foray begins:

Low down my first impressions were that this trail seemed to be more cared for and maintained than many I am used to.

Since we were starting late, on a very popular trail, we would be mingling with large crowds for the whole hike, but the easier grades were easy going to us so much so we were able to maintain a 2MPH moving average despite the occasional hiker traffic jam.

Greg likes bog bridging! :D

Before the junction with the Cascade Spur and the trail continuing to Porter is a small ledge where we would get our first views. Here Greg scrambles up.

And here is the first taste of our ADK viewy goodness.

Almost to the junction we get our first taste of the infamous ADK mud I have heard so much about.

And the junction!

We decided to go to Porter first and then hit Cascade on the way back as Cascade was supposed to be the best viewpoint of the day (which it was). While you make your way over you get occasional glimpses through the trees back to Cascade.

And as we saw it was indeed doing brisk business today.

The ridge walk over to Porter was pretty much a quick short drop from the junction followed by a nice mellow climb over to Porter.

There are a couple small viewpoints on the way over, but they are all trumped by the splendid panorama from the summit.

We returned back the way we came to the junction with the Cascade Spur and started with a bog bridge boulevard through a muddy section.

Then it is pretty much a slabby climb up to a false summit, but all of which is open, ledgy, chocked full of views...oh and people. :lol:

And summit time!

Oh, and I guess you could say the views were decent. :roll: :D

I am Brian, and I approve this summit.

We spent some time on the summit soaking in the splendid views and talking a bit with one of the Alpine Stewards that was making the rounds. When we had had our fill we returned back down the trail we came, fighting a horde of hikers, few of which lacked common courtesy (alas not just a White Mountains thing I guess...) When we got back to the car it was almost 2:00 and our trip only took about 3 1/2 hours. We considered doing The Owl, another delightful looking hike just down the road. At 1.2 miles round trip and 460 feet of gain it would have been a nice topper to get views of where we had just been. Alas, because of the lengthy drive (again, not helped by my mistake in driving directions) we decided to save it for another day. So we followed the same erroneous route back down 87, through Vermont and back to Warner where we arrived around 6:30.

And what were my impressions of this day? Well, I hate to say it, but...I have second love now. The Whites will always be my "home", the place I find myself returning to often. But Greg and I were so impressed that we think we may find ourselves striking out West more often. Not every weekend perhaps. Maybe only a few times a year. But the impression made on us was enough to urge us to want to return often. And not even to peakbag the 46. Greg and I were truly amazed at a bald ridge across the road from Cascade called Pitchoff Mountain, which is very much under 4000 feet, but which looks to be the ADK, sub-4K equivalent of Guyot. There seems to be a lot to offer, and with the proper driving route now better established it seems to me you will see more reports from the Empire State pop up from us. 8)

Brian

Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:57 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Cascade and Porter (NY ADKs) 9/3/16.
New Hampshire wrote:

LOVE this shot Brian.

How long did it take you for drive time?

Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:52 pm

Kathy wrote:
New Hampshire wrote:

LOVE this shot Brian.

How long did it take you for drive time?

The queen of bog bridges speaketh! :D

Including the unfortunate encounter with a bike race in the morning it was about 4 hours 20 minutes. Return trip we did in roughly 4 hours flat. Adjusting Google maps to my erroneous route it said was 4 hours 5 minutes, which matches up to what we did. So next time we head over it really SHOULD only be 3 hours 21 minutes one way. Google maps tends to be either dead on or overestimate by a little bit, so as long as we don't hit anymore bicyclers (and believe me, after sitting in traffic for 20 minutes how we did want to hit them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ) then that should be the appropriate time. That is more in line with how long it takes to do most Pittsburg trips, so for us this is not too far to be out of our comfort range for occasional day hikes. 8)

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:46 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

What day did you do this? Cascade and Porter were on the docket for Thursday but I opted for Vermont. It would have been pretty funny running into you two if that was the case. The ADKs are beautiful for sure. It's always interesting looking at some new hills. Pulling out the map and questioning what is what. In the next couple of weeks I'm planning to overnight up there. Should be fun. A new list? Why not? I'd be happy of this was a 4 hour drive for me. But it's a 5er. With the trip though. Did you have to excuse yourself past everyone?

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:29 pm

thegibba wrote:
What day did you do this? Cascade and Porter were on the docket for Thursday but I opted for Vermont. It would have been pretty funny running into you two if that was the case. The ADKs are beautiful for sure. It's always interesting looking at some new hills. Pulling out the map and questioning what is what. In the next couple of weeks I'm planning to overnight up there. Should be fun. A new list? Why not? I'd be happy of this was a 4 hour drive for me. But it's a 5er. With the trip though. Did you have to excuse yourself past everyone?

We were there yesterday, which probably did not help in regards to the number of people we saw. And yes, we had to find creative ways of getting around people at times. :twisted: I won't say they were any more rude then some of the people I have seen in the Whites, but there sure was plenty of them out there. :lol:

As of right now Greg and I are considering a long weekend after the busy season for work is over for me, the end of November/early December. Might head up for 3 or 4 days, and in that time we will probably do some more of the more difficult ones and save the easier stuff for potential daytrips. 8)

Brian

Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Unbelievable views, I cannot wait to someday start hiking this, i still think it appears nicer than our whites. Breathtaking. Looks like a Monadnock type crowd. Interesting rock color.

I just read an article where a Quebecian was charged a fine for unloading a bus of 67 people for a hike, exceeding the 15 per group.

Congrats on ur new adventure! Looking forward to more eye popping pictures.

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:01 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Nice to see someone who's been saying someday, has finally made the journey. But what, you did the Lafayette/Lincoln of the Adirondacks? :roll: :wink:

Looks like a great hike. Love the (to coin the late Salty :wink: ), ledgey goodness. :D

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:01 am

hiking lady wrote:
i still think it appears nicer than our whites.

It may just be the whole "newness" of being in a new region, or that the majority of the highest peaks are collected into one small spot, but Greg and I were almost in the same belief. I actually told Greg that something about that profile of the Great Range just looked so gnarly and awesome. 8)

JustJoe wrote:
Looks like a great hike. Love the (to coin the late Salty :wink: ), ledgey goodness. :D

Joe, if you saw the Pitchoff Mountain ridge just across the way....well let's just say you wouldn't need any blue pill. It is so ledgy and open that it has got to be one amazing hike....one Greg and I agreed would require visiting in the future! :D

Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:05 am

So that's what this hike looks like in summer. It's about time one of my reports finally helped nudge someone on to a new area! :D My only experience with this one was on a mostly cloudy winter day, but it was still a great hike. More like the Chocorua of the Daks than the Franconia Ridge (for Joe's comparison that award would go the Algonquin I think) but it's certainly is crowded almost every time I drive by it. Nothing like the crowds you'll see at the Loj area on a nice day however! :shock: Pitchoff does look spectacular, as do a bunch of other "shorter" mountains like Hurricane, Ampersand, The Owl... one of the downsides of actually working on the 46ers is those hikes will have to wait just a bit longer. But those are all on the list for down the road for sure.

New Hampshire wrote:
And what were my impressions of this day? Well, I hate to say it, but...I have second love now. The Whites will always be my "home", the place I find myself returning to often. But Greg and I were so impressed that we think we may find ourselves striking out West more often. Not every weekend perhaps. Maybe only a few times a year. But the impression made on us was enough to urge us to want to return often.

Amen to that! :D I felt the same way after first getting into the area a few years ago. I wish it was a shorter drive, but I make it happen as often as possible. The Northern Presis are the trump card for me, as there's nothing else like them this side of the Rockies other than Katahdin, but otherwise I think the High Peaks region is more exciting as a whole than the Whites. But both are great and fortunately I don't have to pick just one. And while this hike has great views of the High Peaks as a whole from afar, they're nothing like the ones you'll get when you really dive in to the Great Range and Macs. And for such a leap I'll throw out a couple of ideas from my favorite hikes in the real heart of the place, even if you are not doing the 46ers (yet) :wink: ...

The MacIntyre Range; Iroquois, Algonquin and Wright. But if not ever doing the 46ers skip Iroquois if you want
http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=6644

Lower Great Range Traverse. The views from this one are unbelievable and unforgettable!
http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=7844

HaBaSa. Another classic Adirondack hike, maybe even the best they can offer up, but I haven't done enough there to say that definitively.
http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8592

Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:26 pm

I started mapping out some of the easier "day-hikeable" trips and figuring out which ones will require staying the weekend for. I think in December when we head up we may tackle Marcy and some others there along the way. This is going to be a interesting experience as we both start the game of "identify that peak". :lol:

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Awesome! I nearly planned a trip out there a couple weeks ago, but ultimately ended up sticking to NH. It's hard to remember what it's like to hike someplace unfamiliar. But yeah, all these sweet Daks Reports make the trip mighty tempting.

Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:37 am

New Hampshire wrote:
I started mapping out some of the easier "day-hikeable" trips and figuring out which ones will require staying the weekend for. I think in December when we head up we may tackle Marcy and some others there along the way. This is going to be a interesting experience as we both start the game of "identify that peak". :lol:

This site might help with which of the 46ers is day-hikeable.

http://www.adirondack.net/tour/hike/highpeaks.cfm

And for peak ID and familiarizing yourself with what is what this is great, unless of course you like playing with maps and google earth. And really, who doesn't like doing that?! :D

http://wandel.ca/viewbrowser/index2.cgi

Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:58 am

Granite Guy wrote:
And for peak ID and familiarizing yourself with what is what this is great, unless of course you like playing with maps and google earth. And really, who doesn't like doing that?! :D

I was telling Greg we need Brent Scudder to do an ADK book. :lol:

Brian

Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:33 pm

Oh the humanities....and too many of them....I think I'd have to do this on a weekday if I ever get out that far. Nice job boys!

Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:45 am

New Hampshire wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

I was telling Greg we need Brent Scudder to do an ADK book. :lol:

Brian

There's this. Just print one out before you hike something.

I believe there's an app you can get for a smart phone. Bob used it on Sugarloaf. I believe it worked pretty good.

Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next