Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Elephant Mountain B-52 Crash Site Memorial 
Master Mountaineer

Elephant Mountain B-52 Crash Site Memorial
The third adventure that we went on during our trip to Maine was Elephant Mountain, just north of Greenville to visit the B-52 Memorial. We got there using Prong Pond Road off of Lily Pond Road. There is a parking area across from the trailhead that would hold around 10 vehicles. The directions online are a little off, depending what site you go to, but stay on Prong Pond Road and you will eventually see signs that say B-52 Site, pointing the way to go and by that I mean the plane on the sign will be pointing in the direction to turn. That being said, the drive to the trailhead is tougher than the hike to the crash site itself.
The crash happened in 1963 and 7 of the 9 members on board lost their lives. They were on a training mission trying to flying below radar for possible nuclear bombing runs over Russia during the Cold War Era. I was only 2 years old when the crash happen, but still went through an array of feelings while we were visiting the site. Every time we have been to a crash site where a live has been lost, we can’t help but feel for the victims, its human nature.
At the trail head there are signs stating it is a sacred place and to treat it as such. The trail itself is very wide and easy to follow. As soon as we walked passed the gate, we began to see wreckage everywhere from the B-52. The whole hike is maybe ½ mile to the main impact area and to the memorial stone. Of all these sites that we have been to, this one had the most wreckage.
It is a popular memorial and there were quite a few other people and families visiting while we were there. This is a geocache for the site in the area that we did find, but we did not feel we should show it in the video, it is outside of the site itself.
We are currently working on the last video from the trip, it is someplace that has been on our bucket list for a long, long time. 
The Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-GITdPKUg

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:18 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: Elephant Mountain B-52 Crash Site Memorial
Thanks for the video. I have to get up there and check this site out. We have a former B-52 pilot in the family. It amazes me how long and how many conflicts the B-52 has been in service for.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:13 am
Master Mountaineer

Shirehiker wrote:
Thanks for the video. I have to get up there and check this site out. We have a former B-52 pilot in the family. It amazes me how long and how many conflicts the B-52 has been in service for.

You are welcome. :). I bet your family member that flew these planes has some incredible stories.

Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:28 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Looks like an interesting little side attraction sometime when I'm up that way. It really is amazing how many plane crashes there are scattered around the mountains. The one on Mt. Success is the one I really want to see. Have you guys been there? If so is there a video for it?

Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:59 pm
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
Looks like an interesting little side attraction sometime when I'm up that way. It really is amazing how many plane crashes there are scattered around the mountains. The one on Mt. Success is the one I really want to see. Have you guys been there? If so is there a video for it?

Yup there is a video, not a good video :roll: , but a video. It's from 4 years ago, we just watched it and realize we need to go back and redo it, but here is the link anyway...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2-RwM2ICDg
If you are just interested in the DC3, start it at time stamp 6:35. We apologize for ..well the video itself! :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:29 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Thanks for the link Chuck. Another interesting video. Also interesting you said on the summit "not that you were doing any more lists". Those seem to be famous last words, right before diving into more lists! :D

Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:54 pm
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
Thanks for the link Chuck. Another interesting video. Also interesting you said on the summit "not that you were doing any more lists". Those seem to be famous last words, right before diving into more lists! :D

Lists...I'm pretty sure I can guarantee you that we won't be doing any more list that we are currently not thinking we are actually doing now or in the future. Maybe! :lol: :?: :lol: :?: :lol:

Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]