Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Six Husbands to Jefferson with the fellas 8-20-16 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Six Husbands to Jefferson with the fellas 8-20-16
So I told Joe he could write this report. Joe told me I could write it. Greg has a massive backlog of his own reports to write and if forced to write this one we would see it some time next year. Long story short I am your man for this one. :D

In an odd turn Joe asked if I would be interested in doing Six Husbands this weekend. I found it odd since Joe had publicly stated this trail would never go on his to-do list. I was a bit concerned about possible temps and humidity, but Joe seemed pretty eager to do this. I relented and said I was good to go. In the process I began to work my magic on Greg trying to get him to come along. Greg has a significant desire to avoid placing himself in situations involving the remote possibility of falling large distances...in other words he has a bit of a fear of heights. Needless to say it was an uphill battle to convince him this would not be all that bad, and as we will see that proved exactly so. With the plan set I picked Greg up at the park and ride and we drove over to meet Joe at the Caps Ridge lot. Joe wanted to use this as our descent route, and we piled into his car for the drive to Dolly Copp campground so we could start our day at the Great Gulf link (redline nerd alert :D ) as opposed to the Great Gulf trailhead on Rt. 16.

Joe and Greg starting us off for the long(ish) approach to Jefferson.

We would spend the day following beside a few different rivers. Here beside the Great Gulf link is the Peabody river separating us from Rt. 16 on the other side.

Warning: you are about to see a lot of photos of Joe taking photos. What can I say? :wink:

As we meander along we keep playing peek-a-boo with all the Northern Presis.

And near a mini-tent site there is a boulder called "The Bluff" which, once upon, gives you this lovely view.

You then cross a stream...

...and another, though it is much easier thanks to this bridge.

Hello Joe.

Did I mention we would be spending a lot of time next to rivers?

And now we officially turned on to the Six Husbands trail.

About this point Greg was really starting to get himself into butt pucker mode. I kept telling him we would be alright, but it helped that we were now so far in there was not much he could do but suck it up and go!

But before we would get to any sketchy ladders or boulder hopping first we had to go up. Like Straight up. Like What the holy f**k up.

Here Greg is passing by one of the massive boulders that is strewn across the whole Great Gulf. There were tons (pun intended) of these things ranging from the size of cras to the size of houses.

But as we climb higher the views start opening up.

And after some steady steep up we finally hit the famous ladders.

These were the biggest reason Greg was worried about doing this. Despite the look on his face he is doing fine so far.

With each ladder we climbed Greg's hesitation faded.

Yup. more ladders.

The last ladder was perhaps the worst only because it lead right next to a low hanging rock which meant you kind of had to squeeze down a bit to get under while a small ledge was on your left. Greg handled this like a champ as well. Joe, the one who originally expressed his desire to never be here handled this without any reservations at all. I personally loved every step of this. Of course Greg didn't like it when I told Joe "I have to take a picture of Greg climbing every ladder because that one could be his last." Greg did not like that. :twisted:

Hey look, it's the Chandler Ridge trail! :D

Out of the ladder section it is now a pretty straightforward hoof up some ledges next to blueberry bushes. Yes blueberry bushes. I have turned Greg into a bonafide wild blueberry junkie, and we sat browsing while we waited for Joe to catch up. We gorged on berries and I picked some for Joe-Joe Bear.

Hello Joe, whadda ya know?

Taking a well deserved break at Edmunds Col Cutoff junction.

I give Six Husbands the thumbs up.

Heeeeeeeere's Joey!

And once again Joe doing what Joe does best.

And this is why we do what we do. 8)

Joe approaches the summit.

And I will leave it there. The summit was, surprisingly, not as packed as it could have been, nor was Caps Ridge down the conga line I expected. I we saw a few dozen people for sure, but except for one painfully slow couple we had little troubles getting down in a timely manner. But believe me, no sensation would top the one I had when we got back to my car and popped open an ice cold Mtn. Dew, a well deserved treat to end this spectacular day.

And to sum this all up I would say that despite my reservations about potential heat and humidity (it was very humid, but thankfully not hot) it turned out to be quite pleasant. And despite Greg's and Joe's past hesitations they handled it like champs. I loved Six Husbands, and would recommend it without hesitation, but I probably won't be doing it very often simply because the approach on Great Gulf seems WAY longer than it really was. I personally had zero issues, and indeed I can say if I had to, I would go DOWN it without even blinking an eye, and with that said Greg and Joe seemed to slightly agree....but then again that was with the caveat of thier saying "I plan on NEVER doing this again!" :D So despite the claim of being one of the most difficult trails in the Whites I can't say I agree, at least not on the scary factor. I don't think either of us 3 would claim it wasn't difficult physically, because it was one hump busting climb in a short distance. I think we came close to 5000 feet of gain for this, so yes, physically demanding indeed. All i all a great day out with two of my best friends. :beer:

Brian

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Six Husbands to Jefferson with the fellas 8-20-16
"Of course Greg didn't like it when I told Joe "I have to take a picture of Greg climbing every ladder because that one could be his last." Greg did not like that."

HA HA HA. GREAT tr Brian. Great pictures. Good to see you three madmen out and at it again.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

WOW!!!! Tonight is the dwindling hours of my vacation... and this was on Prema's list... The plan was to set up camp at the Bluff or some other good place (Osgood?) and then go see those ladders. NO WAY could I do a day hike of this! But I wimped out and did other stuff instead. Well, there's always next year!

I couldn't stop looking at that grey sky over your heads. Not the place I'd want to get rained or stormed on. Actually, my Saturday was scarier than yours, I took my granddaughters up the Cannon Tram and the 6 year old would just not stay way from those ledges on the rim trail. Maybe in another few years I'll have them looking for Six Husbands :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:12 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

HardcoreJoeBri... errr... I guess that's it! :D

Nice report. I loved that trail, although unlike you I don't think I'd like to go down it. Up. Fun!! Down... no thanks! Now that Joe has said "No More Lists" and gone back to lists, said "No Six Husbands" and gone up Six Husbands, I expect he'll beat me to the Prcipice in Acadia, another of the no go's for Joe... for now! :D

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I also thought six husband's was fun. I think Derek got me nervous about that one ladder section where you have to go over and "overhang". Really it was no sweat. It's another one of those hikes where the elevation doesn't get to ya because the GG trail is so gradual and then 6h is just so steep.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:29 am

thegibba wrote:
It's another one of those hikes where the elevation doesn't get to ya because the GG trail is so gradual and then 6h is just so steep.

Maybe not for you young fella's, but it sure got to me. As Brain did at first, which I never did prior, noticed how far we'd be hiking to the real climb. Which beat me up pretty good.

Now, Brain sort of miss quoted me. Six Husbands was on my bucket list several years ago but after hearing a lot about the height thing on it, I wasn't so sure. Then thegibba did his report and I said nope, not for me. Then I started to look at pics, and thinking about it. I'm not great at crazy heights, but it's exposed heights I don't care for. These, not so tall ladders in woods, would be nothing. And they proved to be just that. No big deal at all. Not even the one at the bulge. I think this is another slightly over kill on the scary descriptions. What it should focus more on is the heart pounding workout. Thought mine was going jump out of my chest near the end of the steeps. I even had to tell Brain that I needed to set a spell after that. I'd have to say that one of the most owe inspiring sights on this route is the number of huge glacial erratic's there were. Which I haven't a single good picture of. Thanks to my thinking it would be too difficult to carry the DSLR on this trail. :roll:

I thought the temps weren't bad at all. But, I did see the forecast for the southerly winds. Didn't realize us would us 6 hours to get to the point that Jefferson wasn't blocking them. Once heading down, it was quite cool.

To some it up, I'd do it again. If I were 15 years younger. :(

From atop The Bulge.

I don't ask, I just take the pictures at Clam Rock. :shock:

Greg said he might have to turn around after he saw this. Not knowing your past the worst by there.

I was so, not bothered by this, that this pic was taken with me turned around while on a ladder.

Brian snacking on natures finest.

A unique look into The Great Gulf.

And the very steep south side of The Knee.

Finally some easier walking.

Brain doing what he does. By the way, that cairn is much shorter than the last time I was there.

And with that, on our way down to some ice cold sodee pops. :beer:

Lastly, Greg being Greg. Don't remember why this is where it is.

Click Pik 4 Pix

Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Nice, good for all of you. Any idea on miles for that route? If i ever get there, that would be my planned route down. Unique pics, beautiful and wild area.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:17 am

hiking lady wrote:
Nice, good for all of you. Any idea on miles for that route? If i ever get there, that would be my planned route down. Unique pics, beautiful and wild area.

Totals
Distance 9.99 mi
Time 7 hr 22 min
Elev Gain +4717 ft
Elev Loss -2956 ft
Elev Change +1761 ft

You can eliminate .6 miles by taking The Great Gulf Tr. instead of the Great Gulf Link from Dolly Copp.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:07 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thx, mileage isnt bad, it would probably take me akot longer, but that seems reasonable.

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]