Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Gore Mountain, VT- 8/17/2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Gore Mountain, VT- 8/17/2016
After sleeping for 13 hours the night before, I got up at 11:30 AM, then hit the road not long after that. I wasn't 100% sure what I wanted to hike, but I wanted something on the New England 50 Finest (would be #30). Once I got through Franconia Notch, I had narrowed it down to Baldpate Mountain and Gore Mountain. Ended up driving right by exit 35 and decided on Gore. Made the sudden descent from Franconia Notch down to Littleton, crossed the Connecticut River, and drove to exit 1 on I-93 in VT. Re-supplied at a Cumby's, made my way through St. Johnsbury, found some French radio stations for the ride, then took a series of state highways to the trailhead off VT route 114 in Norton, about 5 miles from the Canadian border. Hit the trail around 2:45 PM.

Oh yea, this was also my first hike in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont :D .

From my parking spot off VT 114 in Norton, I followed the Gore Mountain Trail 3.8 miles to the summit. The whole trail was quite wet due to recent rain, which we could've used back in southern NH :roll: . Down low, it was nice, lush, and mellow, passing by some cascades and ponds en route. About a mile and a half into the hike, I encountered the first of many acres of old logging slash. The going became a little annoying, but once I crossed an active logging road at 2.2 miles, the going became very tough, thick, and gnarly due to horrendous overgrowth. My pace in this mile-or-so section of logging slash about halved from what it previously was. Sucked it up, made it out, then made a moderate climb to a lookout spur path. Took the path to what probably was a good view (trees probably grew over, blocking it), then backtracked and headed to the 3,322 ft. summit. It was open but viewless, but the old fire warden's cabin was still there- and in decent shape, too. With a little spring cleaning, the cabin would make a nice remote mountain getaway spot! Hung around here and then headed back to the car. Returned around 5:40 PM, a little less than 3 hours after starting.

Not the most exciting hike, but the overgrowth was a neat challenge in that it tested my navigational and physical skills, as well as my patience. With some grooming, though (as well as some viewscaping on the summit), this would be a really nice hike IMHO. If anything, I finally nabbed #30 on the 50 Finest! 20 to go! Probably gonna take at least a couple more years to finish that one mostly due to the insane amount of driving. Roundtrip distance was 7.6 miles with 2,150 ft. of gain.

Here's the video recap:
https://youtu.be/dRvD_FT0H7k

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:07 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Gore Mountain, VT- 8/17/2016
hiker0200 wrote:
I had narrowed it down to Baldpate Mountain and Gore Mountain....

Oh yea, this was also my first hike in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont :D

IIRC you hiked Jay Peak. That's the high point of the Northeast Kingdom.

Cool that the cabin just kind of looks like they left it the way it was and never returned. I'm not sure I'll be driving here any time soon to see it but neat to see in the video. Seems like the highlight of this one. If it was any kind of a views day I would have headed for the Baldpates. Really great hike, but when you get to it make sure it's a nice day. Too nice to waste in the clouds.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Gore Mountain, VT- 8/17/2016
I didn't think Jay Peak was in the Northeast Kingdom. Thought it was too far west :oops: .

After reading your TR on Baldpate, I'm definitely saving it for a good day!

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]