Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Acadia Vacation 2016. Days 4, & 5 ... 8/11, 8/12 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Acadia Vacation 2016. Days 4, & 5 ... 8/11, 8/12
Day 4

Day 4 did not turn out as planned. What I'd planned to do was the same basic hike GG
did with his wife earlier this year. We were going to take the bus into town and start the hike
from there. Taking the Great Meadow Tr., Jesup Path and so forth heading up Door from
the south and back into town. But the weather did not cooperate. First it was forecast for fog
until 9 AM, then it got pushed back to 10, then 11 for total clearing. I did not want to do any
part of the above named hike in fog. Just to beautiful of an area. I started looking for something a
bit further away as to kill some time driving, and something that the beginning of the would be
cool in foggy conditions. What I landed on was Norumbega, Parkman, and Bald doing a clockwise
loop. But starting Hadlock Brook Tr., and hitting Upper and Lower Hadlock Ponds first then heading
Norumbega from the south. Then coming down Norumbega via the Goat Tr., crossing the street again,
then up to Parkman and Bald.

Well, that all didn't happen exactly. It was one hell of a HHH day so Parkman and Bald were nixed from
the plan as soon as we started to climb Norumbega. But the rest of the hike was pretty cool. Not
temperature wise. 8) Nice woods and the ponds were, neato. :) Just screwed up once. When
going around Lower Hadlock Pond, we came to this really nice piece of property. The house was
pink but it seemed to fit in some how.

At the same time, we came to a USFS boundary marker. I thought it was an odd spot for one but
kept following the trail. In about 100 yards we came to another. Hmmm. :roll: Kept on going to
where Lower Hadlock Trail turns into a road for a bit. I pulled the map out and saw why the 2
boundary markers were there. The trail actually goes around that house and private I assume, property.
But since what we were on looked just as traveled as the trail, I'm assuming they don't mind. That and
there are no, no trespassing signs there. The worst part is, I have to go back and walk around that house to
red-line.Image The climb up Norumbega hot and sweaty
and not much for views. I did do a short bushwhack due east and found a descent ledge. And picking this
direction meant we had a quick but steep, .6 mile hike down to the car on the Goat Trail.

Great little hike. Just could have been a little cooler. We couldn't get back to the pool fast enough.

Click Pik 4 Pix

Day 5, Our Last. :(

This is a first in of itself. When ever Becky and I have gone to Acadia, our last day has, always,
been a washout. So the fact we were able to get a hike in was great. It would be however, the same as day 1,
something short so we could get home at a reasonable time. So, what to do :?: :idea: Becky needs
(love saying needs) 8) , Day Mtn. But from Rt. 3 that's a little too short. So what we did was park at the lot on
Rt 3 and went up and back to Day Mtn. from there. Then we set off on Lower Day Mtn Tr., crossed Cooksey Dr. to
Hunters Cliff Tr., to Hunters Beach. We'd both visited it several years ago on a rainy day to see all the cairns on
the beach. Which there were none the day we went there. From what I've heard, sometimes there's a couple
dozen or so. Sometimes none. It wasn't a great loss as we had only hiked the .3 mile on Hunters Beach trail
to get there. On this day there were a half dozen or so but nothing like some pictures I've seen. The plan was to
backtrack the entire route but the terrain was sort of rough on the Hunters Cliff trail, (which by the way I thought
would be an open cliff walk but wasn't), so we just took Hunters Beach Tr. out and road walked back to the car.

Again, this was a nice little hike. Is there really any way to go wrong in Acadia? :D

Click Pik 4 Pix

All'n'All, a pretty awesome 5 days in Acadia. :D

Last edited by JustJoe on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:35 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Acadia Vacation 2016. Days 4, & 5 ... 8/11, 8/12
There is no wrong way to do Acadia except if you do it as a one and done day hike. Gotta go back soon and make use of the annual pass. Since Derek and I have decided this is now day hike territory I'm thinking sooner than later.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:21 am

thegibba wrote:
"There is no wrong way to do Acadia except if you do it as a one and done day hike.
Gotta go back soon and make use of the annual pass. Since Derek and I have decided
this is now day hike territory I'm thinking sooner than later."

I guess if you're going to go there often it's worth the $50. But I doubt I could never pull the
trigger on a day hike to Acadia.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:14 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:

I guess if you're going to go there often it's worth the $50. But I doubt I could never pull the

If you go twice it was worth the purchase of the annual pass.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:39 am

thegibba wrote:
JustJoe wrote:

I got my Lifetime Pass for $10 last year so I'm good to go forever. :D

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
thegibba wrote:
JustJoe wrote:

I got my Lifetime Pass for $10 last year so I'm good to go forever. :D

Well ... You got me beat! :beer:

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:16 am

JustJoe wrote:
The worst part is, I have to go back and walk around that house to red-line.

The AMC map actually shows two trails going in front of and behind the house, although if you are redlining Acadia National Park proper the one behind is indeed the one you'd want. But if you are sticking to your guns about no Precipice trail don't bother, you aren't missing much. Some pine trees and a view of the back of the house on your way out to the old gate house parking area. The Trails Illustrated and Map Adventures maps don't show it, but as you said, I don't think they mind. The path was pretty worn when I used it.

More nice wandering though. I have never been down the lower Day Mtn Trail to Hunters Cliff, since it's not in the park and I didn't need it for redlining I figured it can wait. Hunters Beach was a great spot to hang out however and I'd like to go there this way next time.

20/26. What's left? And nice pic of the dragonfly in flight. At first I thought it was your first bald eagle up there but upon closer inspection it was definitely a dragonfly! :D

Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
JustJoe wrote:
The worst part is, I have to go back and walk around that house to red-line.

The AMC map actually shows two trails going in front of and behind the house, although if you are redlining Acadia National Park proper the one behind is indeed the one you'd want. But if you are sticking to your guns about no Precipice trail don't bother, you aren't missing much. Some pine trees and a view of the back of the house on your way out to the old gate house parking area. The Trails Illustrated and Map Adventures maps don't show it, but as you said, I don't think they mind. The path was pretty worn when I used it.

More nice wandering though. I have never been down the lower Day Mtn Trail to Hunters Cliff, since it's not in the park and I didn't need it for redlining I figured it can wait. Hunters Beach was a great spot to hang out however and I'd like to go there this way next time.

20/26. What's left? And nice pic of the dragonfly in flight. At first I thought it was your first bald eagle up there but upon closer inspection it was definitely a dragonfly! :D

Bald, Cedar Swamp, Parkman, Acadia, St. Sauveu, Flying
. Didn't even realize Hunter's was out of the park.
As far as red-lining goes, I have no hopes to actually complete that list. I just reference it from time to time
when I miss something or am deliberately using new trails.

And you must have great eyes because I saw. nor can see, a dragonfly.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:05 pm

JustJoe wrote:
And you must have great eyes because I saw. nor can see, a dragonfly.

You can see it more clearly in the original with the magnifying glass. This is as good as I can do with a low res download. Peter doesn't call me eagle eyes for nothing! 8)

Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:51 pm

I never would have spotted that.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]