Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Acadia Vacation 2016. Days 1, 2, & 3...8/8, 8/9, 8/10 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Acadia Vacation 2016. Days 1, 2, & 3...8/8, 8/9, 8/10
No time for lengthy TR's so these will be short and to the point.

Day 1
A short and sweet hike as usual was the plan for thee first day. Conners Nubble was this
years first day since Becky has yet to hike it. So we arrived at the visitors center around
10:30 and caught the 10:55 bus to the Bubble Pond lot. Which was closed. I asked the bus driver
why but she didn't know. :roll: I knew it was a tiny lot so didn't even think of trying to
park there at that time. So once there, it was off on the carriage road, thin Eagle Lake Tr.,
and finally Bubble Tr. to the summit for Conners Nubble. The blueberries were ripe and
sweet everywhere but they were the best just below the summit of Conners. Plump, juicy,
and sweet. We ate quite a few but didn't fill any containers. No way to cook any goodies.
We finished up by hiking the .1 mile of the Bubble Tr. to the carriage road to the bus stop.
Which arrived just as we got there. :D

It was a nice cool day, slightly overcast at times. I'll take it though. How's the saying go?
A crappy day in Acadia beats a nice day in the whites. 8)

Click Pik 4 Pix

Day 2

Tuesday the 9th was the pick of the week weather wise. I figured peak-bagging some of the
best peaks I/we have left of the 26 was in order. But on the hike Monday, Becky asked if we
could do the same traverse we did a couple years ago. She was referring to the Beehive to
Sieur de Monts Spring. And taking the bus back to the car. She really loved that hike and she never
picks the hike. She also did not want to go to the summit of Huguenot Head on that hike so
she still needs 8) , it. I was perfectly fine with doing that again but asked if we could add
Gorham Mtn. to it. Since she couldn't remember that one in 2010, she was fine with the little extra.
So that was the hike. We drove to the Gorham Mountain lot, and headed off first on the
Gorham Mtn. Tr. for Gorham. Then on to the Beehive, which we both love, then Champlain,
Huguenot Head, ending at Sieur de Monts Spring. Arriving at the bus stop just as the bus was
coming, again. :D

Beautiful day and Becky got another A26 by summiting Huguenot Head. :) And it was some
quality pool time once back at the hotel. :D

Click Pik 4 Pix

Day 3

Wednesday the 10th had the worst forecast. Which wasn't all that terrible. Increasing clouds
with a 60% chance of showers and T-storms after 1:00 PM. So maybe something not great on
views and, hadn't done yet. 8) Mansell and Bernard was the plan. I figured we could easily get
those done before any rain moved in. We did a counter clockwise loop. The basic route was the,
Long Pond Tr., Perpendicular Tr., Mansell Mtn. Tr., Great Notch Tr., Bernard Mtn. Tr., Sluiceway Tr.,
and a few others near the end back to the lot. 4 or 5 junctions near the end, it got a little
confusing.

Take-Aways. Definitely not Acadia's finest for views. But I loved the Perpendicular Tr. It's
another of those great stone staircase trails through some awesome forest. Just beautiful.
And 2 more of the 26 in the books. :beer: And as the day before, we got a quick swim in
before it rained. Which it did and pretty good for a couple hours. Can't complain as it's
desperately needed.

Click Pik 4 Pix

Last edited by JustJoe on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:48 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Acadia Vacation 2016. Days 1, 2, & 3...8/8, 8/9, 8/10
That's a nice little hike over Gorham to hugenot head. I did those with my fiance last month. But In Two separate trips. I should have thought to do it this way aad utilize those busses. One of these days I'll get around to that trip report. :roll:

Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:53 pm

The pics don't work for me. Picasa actually no longer works period, at least for me, maybe others have better luck, but if you linked them from there that might be why. I have a little family blog I've done for 10 years now and none of the Picasa links work from the first 7 years!! :evil: :evil: :evil: Google has officially and completely done away with it and replaced it with Google photos or something like that. Fortunately I've used flickr for the last 3 years, because anything linked from Picasa now just gets this...
Quote:
404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

I'll hold comment until i see the pics. 8)

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:49 pm

Hmmm, I thought it was Google Photos but it may just be my achieved Picasa web albums with a different look.
I did it that way because I can still upload with my Picasa3 on my computer. It's the only way I could add
captions as I always do. I see no way to add captions in Google Photos. I'll try the link in Google Photos and
see if that works. But I looks like I may have to look for another medium.

Now, to figure out the Google photos link.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:35 pm

OK. The link goes to Google Photos now and seems to work. I signed out and got the same
error message. After switching the link, I signed out again and it worked for me. Minus the labels
as I mentioned. May add the in the comments.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:01 pm

Everything works perfect now, captions and all.

JustJoe wrote:
It was a nice cool day, slightly overcast at times. I'll take it though. How's the saying go?
A crappy day in Acadia beats a nice day in the whites. 8)

Something like that! :D

If there's a finer pair of 500 foot mountains out there than the Beehive and Gorham I haven't seen them. That is a great route for sure. Maybe the Beehive needs to be added to the hike-nh views list. Hmmmmm. The blueberries are crazy. They were late this year but seem to have really come around nicely. Bummer that I missed many of them a month before. :( Stonework on the Perpendicular trail is amazing. The CCC outdid themselves on that one. The Razorback Trail down is pretty awesome too but isn't conveniently placed for peakbaggers with Knights Nubble in between it and Bernard. It's not a lot of re-climbing to get back to it but there's no real reason to with other easy exit options. Worth going back for eventually however. I love the green spruce woods on those western peaks. Great pics as always. Can't wait for more...

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Bloody Google and finally KO-ing Picasa. I'm now trying to decide a new route, one that WON'T close on me, so probably going to self-host on some web space I already have. Sigh.

Nice pics as always Joe. I still need to get up to Acadia...

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:05 pm

madmattd wrote:
I still need to get up to Acadia...

:shock:

Gibba and I are again in discussions to get up there for the Precipice trail among others now that the falcons have flown the coop. If you are available whenever it comes together we can remedy the above mentioned problem! :wink:

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:11 pm

madmattd wrote:
Bloody Google and finally KO-ing Picasa. I'm now trying to decide a new route, one that WON'T close on me, so probably going to self-host on some web space I already have. Sigh.

I'm still trying to figure out their reason for this. Only thing I can come up with is the look of the albums is more updated. Sort of looks like Flickr albums now. But they could have left everything else the same. I see absolutely no plus side to Google Photos.

Heck, as far as I can tell, there's not even a slideshow option. :roll:

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:18 pm

They could have even left all the links working to old albums and pics at the very least and just not allowed any new ones. All the click4pix links are now useless. Knowing that they would do that and screw up who knows how many blogs, trip reports or whatever I wouldn't use them again. Not that Flickr can't do the same thing to me down the road, but I know for sure Google thinks nothing of doing it.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
All the click4pix links are now useless.

Crap, never thought about that. :( But to add to what you said, I first started with WebShots. That went bye-bye in 2010 I think.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

All this is why I am looking at other options now. I've been burned a couple times now like this, though this is the biggest. When Google started Plus, they really wanted it to be better than Facebook. But they were way too late to the party, and it never gained much traction. And at least when it was new, it was pretty limited, I never did anything with Plus, and don't plan to. I couldn't find an easy way to share a link to photos (other thank right-click, save link location - Picasa had a great and simple way to choose your size). Google has made a history of just dropping services and leaving folks in the lurch. They did at least warn they were shuttering Picasa a long time ago, though they implied old links would still work... jerks.

GraniteGuy: I don't think I will have the freedom to make said trip (fall is very busy for me, especially this year), but let me know anyway, you never know.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:07 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

From what I've looked at. At least the embedded pics in past reports are still good.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
From what I've looked at. At least the embedded pics in past reports are still good.

Blogs still work too. It might just be links to full albums?

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:11 pm

madmattd wrote:
thegibba wrote:

Blogs still work too. It might just be links to full albums?

It is just the links to full albums that don't work. Unfortunately on a lot of Joe's, my and others older posts we just posted a pic or two and a link to the others. I started just flooding the things with dozens of pics a couple years ago like a blog post, since most (myself included) are probably to lazy to click the album links all the time! :D

Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next