Hike-NH.com
http://forum.hike-nh.com/

Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016
http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9346
Page 1 of 1

Author:  HardcoreIdiot [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

http://hchikingnh.blogspot.com/2016/08/ ... -loop.html

I needed some easier hikes with not so much elevation gain so these five hikes with Brian fit the bill.

Greg

Author:  New Hampshire [ Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:33 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

Best conversation ever:

"The Church Pond trail isn't a loop anymore."

"Then why is it still called the church pond loop on the map?"

*dig out map and looks* "Oh."

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Author:  JustJoe [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

So, over the course of the day.......9 miles and 2430' :roll: You seem OK to me. :wink:

Author:  madmattd [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

New Hampshire wrote:
Best conversation ever:

"The Church Pond trail isn't a loop anymore."

"Then why is it still called the church pond loop on the map?"

*dig out map and looks* "Oh."

:D :D :D :D :D :D


I winced when I saw loop mentioned, and the mileage listed looked about right for my recollection of the old loop distance. Based on the stories I heard from the last few years it was open, I'm glad I haven't gotten to it yet, and now don't have to do the loop :) Thanks for the beta though. This kind of day trip is something I have in mind for a similar day: lazy feeling, don't want to climb too much, but do want to check some miles off. I did something similar over Memorial Day weekend in Pinkham Notch, haven't done the Kanc trip yet. I call this kind of day "ADD Hiking". Drive, hike for a mile or two, drive a little more, hike a mile or two, etc.

Author:  hophiker [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

I've done all those hikes, though not in the same day. That makes for a pretty full day. I too made the mistake of hiking the entire Church Pond Loop last year, and I wasn't sure I was going to make it out. I thought I might get sucked into the swamp and never see the light of day again. It's clearly marked on the sign that the East side is decommissioned, but I completely missed it. I wouldn't do that part again, but I love the rest of the trail and have been back several times since.

Author:  Granite Guy [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

These are all good hikes for one reason or another. Some more exciting and some more educational obviously but all were interesting to me. I did the Church Ponds loop when it was still a loop. I don't recall it being overly wet or muddy, but I also don't recall that part adding anything to the hike, so no big loss. The Boulder loop is a great little hike IMO. Those view ledges are a great place to have a picnic or just hang out for a while and a nice birds eye view of the Kanc. Falls Pond is a nice spot and the Kanc could use a few more little hikes like these. Something around Lily Pond on big bridges perhaps?? A trail that follows the Swift River for a ways?? More hikes for when big hikes aren't in the cards for whatever reason.

Author:  thegibba [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

A cool and different series of hikes. Nothing crazy. But an interesting way to fill out a day. I hope you get over your bout of malaise and have good luck in CO.

Author:  New Hampshire [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

madmattd wrote:

I winced when I saw loop mentioned, and the mileage listed looked about right for my recollection of the old loop distance. Based on the stories I heard from the last few years it was open, I'm glad I haven't gotten to it yet, and now don't have to do the loop :) Thanks for the beta though. This kind of day trip is something I have in mind for a similar day: lazy feeling, don't want to climb too much, but do want to check some miles off. I did something similar over Memorial Day weekend in Pinkham Notch, haven't done the Kanc trip yet. I call this kind of day "ADD Hiking". Drive, hike for a mile or two, drive a little more, hike a mile or two, etc.


We were having a pretty great day up until we saw that river crossing, and then began following the trail after the pond that basically disappeared a few years ago. Lesson learned....buy up to date maps. :lol:

Thankfully the loops that came after made up for the miserable soaking we got. Plus just lounging on the rocks at the river crossing was very nice.

Author:  New Hampshire [ Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

Granite Guy wrote:
The Boulder loop is a great little hike IMO. Those view ledges are a great place to have a picnic or just hang out for a while and a nice birds eye view of the Kanc.


And I felt bad because I think I voted no for it on the views list. But when Greg and I got out to the ledge I realized we never made it this far the last time out there. But good to know my vote did not do it in and it now holds a spot on there. 8)

Brian

Author:  JustJoe [ Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:23 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Kancamagus Redlining 7-16-2016

New Hampshire wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
The Boulder loop is a great little hike IMO. Those view ledges are a great place to have a picnic or just hang out for a while and a nice birds eye view of the Kanc.


And I felt bad because I think I voted no for it on the views list. But when Greg and I got out to the ledge I realized we never made it this far the last time out there. But good to know my vote did not do it in and it now holds a spot on there. 8)

Brian


I wish I had pictures from it in 1966'ish. I'll bet the views were even more open. I don't recall much about the hike at all. Seeing it was 50 years ago. :shock: :( 8)

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/