Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Another 3 Bite the Dust. Crockers & Redington 7/30/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Another 3 Bite the Dust. Crockers & Redington 7/30/16
Yes, another 3 bite the dust, but, it wasn't that simple. This would be a day
of mistakes. Not real bad mind you, but mistakes just the same. 8)

I PM'd BobC in the middle of the week to see of he wanted to join me in knocking
these 3 off. He was in. We planned to meet at the Portsmouth PnR at 5 so I had to
be out the door at 4:15. Mistake #1, still in a fog, I left my map and the Redington
instructions I'd printed out on the kitchen counter. No biggie, when I met up with
Bob, he said he had his map. And I had the route via ATV and logging roads of Redington
plotted on my GPS. We're good.

We arrived the the trail-head parking around 8 and were ready to head out at 8:15.
Just as we were about to head out, a women from VT stopped to ask what we were
doing. We told her and she said that's what she'd hoped to do. It was kinda obvious that
she was hoping she could tag along with us but the gentleman we are just said, "We'll
probably see you up there. :roll: :oops: So we set off fro the trail and was soon at the
AT. This sign was about 25' up the trail. Not sure why they wouldn't place it right at the road.

The trail starts out with easy grades but soon turns to a steady, steep climb to South Crocker.
At one point the trail crosses and ascends for a short time, an overgrown talus slide with a
decent view north.

We pushed on and were on South Crocker before we knew it. This sign is not really on the
high point.

Then there's this sign. :D

To this, man made, view. I've seen better. :roll: :wink:

We to a quick look at the herd path to Redington, (which for some reason I took 0 pictures of)
then headed off for North Crocker. About half way on the climb up North C., we saw an AT survey marker.
Neither of us had happened to see one before.

Soon after, North Crocker.

There was some sort of a trail heading SSW of the summit. I decided to go down it a ways
to check for views. Which there were.

While I was down there, the girl we'd talked to in the parking area, (who's name was Sandy),
I arrived at the summit of N. Crocker. She got talking to Bob and I believe expressed a slight concern
about the route to Redington. Bob realized she really was looking to join us so he invited she to
tag along with us. She headed off a little ahead of us but we caught to her on South Crocker.
After quick snack we pointed out the well flagged herd path, (which she told us on N. Crocker
she didn't she on her first stop) to Redington. Figuring she was a bit faster, we let her lead. A mistake?
We'll never know. 8) About 10 minutes on the herb path, she ran into a couple she knew. Since they
decided to do Redington first, they gave us the low down on the route. First, being a cairn
coming up soon where we take a sharp left. Again, no picture. I really slacked on the pictures this trip.
Maybe Bob has one.
Anyway, the herd path got a lot more trail like. With a lot of flagging and tons of yellow blazes.
You can see Sandy leading us. :? :wink: But what you can also see in this photo, is the pile of logs that
get put across paths that are not the trail. Which we, all, stepped over.
D'oh #2. Right there was whee we should have gone left.

Even before we goofed, I said there's too many of these yellow blazes, they look more like they're
boundary makers. And there was this hint as well. No reason for it to be here other than marking
the AT boundary. :roll:

First to notice was our leader :wink: , Sandy. She said we're heading towards North Crocker. WHAT?
Then Bob looked, then I. SH*T! This little screw up cost us a mile and about 350' of extra elevation gain.
Thought Bob was going to give up for sure. 8)

The oops.

At this point, I bolted ahead because I was dying to see where we messed up. I got there and was sitting
on a rock waiting for Bob and Sandy. Meanwhile, another couple came along who was headed for Redington.
I explained I was waiting for 2 others after we'd gone a mile RT the wrong way, but didn't show them where.
I just said, "where do you think the herd path goes from here?" Which I was sitting directly across from.
They both pointed towards the boundary cut. So it's possible our screw up helped them.

Bob and Sandy got here so know there was 5 of headed for Redington. When we all got to the old clear-cut
in the col, there was a bit of confusion where the herb path went from there. This I did remember from
the directions I'd left at home. Left on a logging road, then a right back into the woods. It was a bit further
up the logging road than we'd all thought but the gentleman of that couple found it first. Here, I just
RoBoJo'd it to the summit. Enough already. 8)

WTF! I didn't even need to come here. I've been cheated by a minimum of 16' :evil:

Once everyone else had arrived and signed the log, rested and fueled up, we talked about how
we all wanted to get back to the cars. The gentleman of the couple said he'd talked to a local who said
there was a way through some clearing with cairns to logging roads that was 4-5 miles back to the parking
Area. (Turns out this was the official/unofficial way off Redington.)

As I mentioned, I plotted what I thought was the official/unofficial route off. Bob was dead set in his
decision. He was not going to climb S. Crocked for a 3rd time. I explain to the others that I could not
guarantee there would not be a slight bushwhack involved as I saw on G.E. a spot where the 2 roads
I be using did not connect, At least that's how it looked. Which did make me wonder why this would be
an option as most probably wouldn't want to bushwhack.

What we decided was Bob and I were going for the logging roads, the rest were going to re-climb S. Crocker.
But we I did decide to go back to the logging road in the col as I was 100% sure it was the same road we wanted.
And, hadn't seen the herd path heading to the ATV road. Again Sandy lead, and again, made a wrong turn.
But this time it was good. It was the herb path Bob and I wanted. So the rest turned back and Bob and I
continued down this herd path which soon turned into the ATV trail we wanted.

Then we came to the junction with a great looking logging road. Right had cairns. Which was the route longer 3rd way,
I thought back to the cars. Left was more direct and the way I'd plotted. Again thinking this was the right way. D'oh #3!

The road was great though.

But in this photo, you can see how it dead ends. Which, I was pretty sure it would. I just thought there
herd path connecting this with the next road I saw on G.E.

No pictures of what happened next. We heading in. I had the I wanted to go way-marked. The woods were
pretty bad. We were in drainage with boot sucking mud. As bad woods often do, they dictate direction. So I was
slightly of coarce but manged to force my way to where the 2nd road should be. Nada? All I could think of
was that it's visible on GE because it's grown in with tall, but very green saplings making it appear road like still.
So now it was just get down as fast in the shortest line to CVR. I'd been in much worse but these were pretty
nasty woods. I was letting the F-Bombs fly but it was more because I felt I let /bob down. He really doesn't
care for this at all. The woods, after about a half mile started openning up a little. I looked to my right and what
do I see? The Road. Missed the beginning of it by 100 yards. :(

After that it was clear sailing to CVR and the car. This road was overgrown in spots but that had a herd path
probably from moose, down the middle.

And just shy of 8 hours, done. And we still beat the others. Sandy did appear jsu as we were ready to head out.

It's a crap shoot looking at things like ledges and logging roads on G.E. and have them turn out as
you as they look. But I've never totally missed something. :roll: I'll never know what I did wrong.
Could have been as simple as a poor signal right when I was in that spot.

All I know is, if someone connects those 2 roads, it would be a great route. :D

All'n'all, still a great day. I did have second thoughts about not doing the Bigelows and Horns on
Such a fine day but it's good to have this one in the books.

The official/unofficial route off Redington is in red.

Click Pik 4 Pix

Last edited by JustJoe on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Another 3 Bite the Dust. Crockers & Redington 7/30/16
Ah, the Redington stories never fail to provide a chuckle or two. Everyone wants to follow the yellow-blazed "trail", but I've not heard of folks following it nearly as long as you guys did! When I did it first in 2012, I specifically did not even follow the cut, as I didn't want to join those stories! Where we intersected the boundary cut we poked around the woods directly across and found a continuing herd path quite easily. When doing it last winter with Tim, Chris, Whitney and co., we followed a route Tim had on his GPS which followed said cut for a few dozen yards then cut to the left back into the woods. Sounds to me like there might be a number of herd paths in there.

As for your road route down, as soon as you started describing what you were looking at I knew what you were attempting. Good to know it isn't a particularly good route. I got bit by the same bright green line that looks like a road on the satellite imagery but is really a crap load of young, dense spruce on the other side of that valley coming off the Abraham-Spaulding col. Good times (not). The "usual" route off Redington goes really quickly, despite being out of the way. But it does mean 4-5 miles of logging road walking back to the metal bridge parking lot :\

EDIT: Interesting, I was looking at the satellite image of the "oops" again. You can see what looks like the path down to the view you wandered down a ways on from North Crocker appears to intersect the AT boundary cut, and the cut continues North (likely to Rt. 27). Still curious about the reason for that path off the summit. My theory has always been a town boundary, but looking at the topos that doesn't look right.

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Reddington strikes again! :D My story is similar, only we didn't follow the AT boundary nearly as long. It is an odd way of marking the trail I think. It's obviously not done for the whole length. Wonder why they do it there specifically? Something to to with the Naval Training base?? We took the old wardens road down off Reddington to the logging roads, but turned left when we should have turned right from there. Pretty sure we hit the same dead end you did, but rather than whack through it we went all the way back up and exited the correct way on the roads. Live and learn I guess. If I'm with anyone who ever hikes this one I think I can do it mistake free now.

Also, the only other place I have seen those exact AT markers is between Pico and Killington. There were three or four along the way IIRC.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:09 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

The "oops" part was easy to understand when you keep in mind that we were following a herd path...so we probably didn't think much of those small logs that someone had put down to block the way. We weren't expecting a clear trail so I guess we just stepped over them and kept going without thinking anything was amiss. I had been doing so well up to that point in the hike, I hadn't felt tired at all, until we had to re-climb that extra 350' or so....I guess it was just psychological, but it took away some of my will to hike. :D I was definitely slowing down by the time we were on the final approach to Redington.

As for the bushwhack, I knew there was the possibility it wouldn't go well all the way down, so going through those thick woods really wasn't that big of a deal. Joe is being hard on himself because he's done a lot more solo bushwhacking than me (I'm always the follower on a bushwhack), and he felt like he screwed up. But we were always going down and we knew we were heading towards the road, so we just had to power through it.

I don't have many photos that are different than Joe had, so I'll just post a few. All in all, it was a great day, with fantastic weather, and the hike was easier than I thought it would be (even counting the bushwhack part).

Oh, and if anyone is going up there, I should point out that the road that I always see labeled on hiking forums as the CVR (Caribou Valley Road) shows up as Caribou Pond Road on places like Google Maps or other navigation apps. It's 1 mile past Sugarloaf ski area, on the same side of the road, and there's no road sign, just a steep grade sign that is facing in the opposite direction if you passed Sugarloaf on the left.

Joe in action on one of the steep sections

The Bigelows...sure looks like it would have been a nice day to be over there 8)

Joe stops to check out a section of trail early on as we break out into the open

Honestly, I really was happy to make it to Redington...don't judge by my expression.

All the pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bcusolito ... 670258046/

Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:34 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Reddington strikes again! :D My story is similar, only we didn't follow the AT boundary nearly as long. It is an odd way of marking the trail I think. It's obviously not done for the whole length. Wonder why they do it there specifically? Something to to with the Naval Training base?? We took the old wardens road down off Reddington to the logging roads, but turned left when we should have turned right from there. Pretty sure we hit the same dead end you did, but rather than whack through it we went all the way back up and exited the correct way on the roads. Live and learn I guess. If I'm with anyone who ever hikes this one I think I can do it mistake free now.

Also, the only other place I have seen those exact AT markers is between Pico and Killington. There were three or four along the way IIRC.

The cut on the Spaulding side of the valley is blazed like that too, and is no where near any sort of herd path. The blazing from this report on the cut also has nothing to do with the herd path, it long pre-dates it from what I've read. I've seen a couple town line boundaries while bushwhacking the 6-pack up there that were also extensively blazed like that. In those logging woods, I guess it makes sense to mark your land boundary clearly. I'm sure you've seen some of the WMNF boundary marks? You know, the ones that are blood red on every tree and rock that remotely touches the boundary? There isn't as much logging near the WMNF, but folks do seem to want to make sure you know you've crossed property lines ;)

As for the AT markers, there is at least one, and I seem to recall more, visible on the AT on the Bigelow Range between the 2 4ks. Also one or two near the Baldpates. I've yet to find one in NH. Yet :)

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Nice to know others have screwed up on this one. But the bottom line is, if my first mistake of leaving the information I had printed out at home. Mistake 2 and 3 probably would not have happened. 8)

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Matt, you must mean a WMNF boundary marker like this one that Captain Gibba met his maker on, turning our Cinco de Mayo hike into a Dia de los Muertos hike?! :D

Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:58 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
Matt, you must mean a WMNF boundary marker like this one that Captain Gibba met his maker on,
turning our Cinco de Mayo hike into a Dia de los Muertos hike?! :D

I'm seem a number of those. The only other time I've been far enough off the AT to see the yellow AT boundary
markers and cut was when looking for the crash site off Mt Success.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:57 pm

JustJoe wrote:
Yes, another 3 bite the dust, but, it wasn't that simple. This would be a day
of mistakes. Not real bad mind you, but mistakes just the same. 8)

Saturday morning a small, tiny, itsy-bitsy part of me felt bad for saying no to joining you guys. But I put the thought aside and steered the course I set for the day. now don't take it the wrong way but...now I am glad my decision not to go was validated. :lol: Of course had I gone I would easily have saved the day (says every person ever who isn't actually there in the moment. :twisted: )

Brian

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Matt, you must mean a WMNF boundary marker like this one that Captain Gibba met his maker on, turning our Cinco de Mayo hike into a Dia de los Muertos hike?! :D

Yep! I always thought those cairn piles painted red looked like a murder scene, apparently I'm not the only one! RIP Gibba ;)

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:51 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

For someone who isn't doing lists... :wink:

In all seriousness thanks for the heads up on this one. When I get around to doing these this should help me not getting suckered into wrong direction. It's funny though. You all went right over a brushed in "trail". I did the same thing going back to me car on the great gulf trail last month and ended up on ski trails. When I realized I was not on the trail I backtracked for a bit and shook my head when I got back to where the trail had turned. There were a whole bunch of branches that I just walked through.

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:04 am

thegibba wrote:
For someone who isn't doing lists... :wink:

I know I said no more but the 67 is very doable and it helps with the trying to figure
out what hike to do. :wink:

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
You all went right over a brushed in "trail". I did the same thing going back to me car on the great gulf trail last month and ended up on ski trails. When I realized I was not on the trail I backtracked for a bit and shook my head when I got back to where the trail had turned. There were a whole bunch of branches that I just walked through.

I know I've done this more times than I can count on actual maintained trails in the Whites. Some of those trails, especially Wilderness ones, have lots of step-over blowdowns, and you think nothing of stepping over another one... Usually it is easy to figure out though, as the "trail" peters out. Not so much when someone has chainsawed a cut miles long like the one by the Crockers! Hey, a crazy loopish hike idea: hike the Crockers (works best in this case via the AT from Rt.27) and take the herd path to Redington. Return via the herd path to the boundary cut and "yellow-blaze" back to route 27 and a short road walk back to the car :P (Note: this does not actually appear possible. The cut appears to end in a steep drainage/ravine a little North of North Crocker on the satellite imagery.)

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:42 am

Thanks for the heads-up Joe and Bob, we have these three on our target list for this weekend depending on the wx

Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:09 am

Pucknuts61 wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up Joe and Bob, we have these three on our target list for this weekend depending on the wx

No problem Bill. Always happy to screw up, if it helps others. :D

Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next