Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Table Mountain via Attitash Trail 7/30/16 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Table Mountain via Attitash Trail 7/30/16
Didn't die or get bored! :) J injured his foot right before our Shenandoah trip. We took it easy for a couple months to let that heal and because I was finally done with the second job.

Today we hit Table Mountain! It was the last reported/talked about trip that sounded interesting to me so off we went today to check it out. I was surprised that Bear Notch Road, which is what you take to get to Attitash Trail, was a road-road! I was expecting gravel and pot holes. Nope, paved with a double line. Great places to pull off for beautiful views. The trailhead parking was tight but could hold at least 7 cars. Trail was in great shape. Easy to follow, with light blazing. It was a gradual rise before a bit of scramble near the top. The weather was perfect, cool and no humidity or bugs in sight. Our start was late, near noon. We passed about two groups going up. Ended the day with a dip in a river, and then a quick walk around White Lake State Park Loop Trail.

I'm going to be a lazy girl. You can find all photos here https://plus.google.com/+SMazur/posts/PJHUSmEEJwR

We did go to Shenandoah. https://plus.google.com/+SMazur/posts/8Wm6fJkbnum

And had a long weekend in White River Junction, a trip to Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site , and the Marsh - Billings - Rockefeller National Historical Park. https://plus.google.com/+SMazur/posts/4BUSyotctDd

We'll be off to the Isle of Haut, Campbello Island, and Bay of Fundy in about two weeks. I'm ready for long vacation, green paths, and rocky coasts. Pics to come.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:32 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Table Mountain via Attitash Trail 7/30/16
Pirr wrote:
We'll be off to the Isle of Haut.

Lucky you! Did you manage to get the campsites or do you have other plans? I didn't get the dates I wanted for Duck Harbor so haven't been yet. Might try it as a day trip in September before they cut the ferry boat service back. It just looks like such a great place to spend a night or two. Can't wait for that report.

Your reports above were all nice too. Table Mountain has a lot of scenery that looks like White Lake. :wink: Nice views too from the ledges. The fire damage in Shenandoah is kind of sad to see, but it did a nice job of viewscaping a few of those areas. How long did the train ride take? Seems like a nice way to catch some zzzzzz's before and after a trip like that.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:14 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Table is indeed a bit of a gem. Come to think of it, I did it on a less than spectacular day, so maybe some time this fall a re-visit is in order when the foliage is popping. 8)

Brian

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I haven't been to Shenendoah since 1983! Two years before Prema was born! Hope to make it back someday.

Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:19 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:
Pirr wrote:
We'll be off to the Isle of Haut.

Lucky you! Did you manage to get the campsites or do you have other plans? I didn't get the dates I wanted for Duck Harbor so haven't been yet. Might try it as a day trip in September before they cut the ferry boat service back. It just looks like such a great place to spend a night or two. Can't wait for that report.

Your reports above were all nice too. Table Mountain has a lot of scenery that looks like White Lake. :wink: Nice views too from the ledges. The fire damage in Shenandoah is kind of sad to see, but it did a nice job of viewscaping a few of those areas. How long did the train ride take? Seems like a nice way to catch some zzzzzz's before and after a trip like that.

We'll be taking the Ferry out for just a day hike before getting back into the car and heading to Campbello where we'll stay for two days. https://www.nps.gov/roca/index.htm J and I aren't campers. Both lacking in the gear or desire. Him a bit more then me. I'm working on him though to see if we can maybe get to the overnight camp trip at some point.

Table was awesome and I've already said we should go back and continue on to Big Attitash. NH, I think that would be a great fall hike. It really was startling how well the trail work was done, and how unnoticeable it was from one direction. I was looking at stuff near there, has anyone done the Burnel Trail to Tremont? Pretty sure I've heard the Sawyer Brook/Pond Trail mentioned before.

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Quote:
I haven't been to Shenendoah since 1983! Two years before Prema was born! Hope to make it back someday.

You should go back! Shenandoah was very different. And the lack of "views" like we have here was startling. Some of that, was of course the fact that we couldn't hike longer/higher due to J's injury. I'm sure there are some great, quiet hikes with views. The train trip either way was an all day event. It was a lovely way to get to your destination and see a bunch of the countryside. The worry about missing a connection though was bad, the food meh, and the chance of being stuck is a thing. I'd still do it again, and I think we're planning on taking a East to West coast along the Northern US trip soon.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:47 am

Pirr wrote:
Table was awesome and I've already said we should go back and continue on to Big Attitash. NH, I think that would be a great fall hike.

If it makes a difference, Mt. Attitash is wooded and viewless. It is an OK hike, but I would hate for you to do it expecting something great and not getting it.

Quote:
I was looking at stuff near there, has anyone done the Burnel Trail to Tremont? Pretty sure I've heard the Sawyer Brook/Pond Trail mentioned before.

It is a decent hike. More mellow, but no matter which side you come up from the climb to the summit of Tremont is one STEEP bugger. Owl's Cliff along the way also has nice views. I will also warn you, if you are using Sawyer Pond trail to access Brunel bring water shoes. You literally have to wade across the river, which has no rocks above water. Rob Brook could be an alternate option, but is also much longer.

Brian

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]