Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part III) - 26 & 26 More 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part III) - 26 & 26 More
Our third hike of the week found us headed for St. Sauveur Mountain, which is the peak I finished my Acadia 26 on and the one my wife would be finishing up her list on also. Sort of by coincidence it was the final peak in my second round, so maybe now I should start the Acadia Grid! :twisted: I also needed part of the Valley Peak Trail for the redlining, so the route we took was the Man O'War Truck Road to that trail and then the St. Sauveur Mountain Trail to the summit. The truck road is nothing to write home about, but it's a nice wooded stroll, mostly downhill in that direction, and all the girls could walk/run/skip/race their way through it without needing a close eye on them, so along with blueberries near the beginning it made a leisurely start to the hike.

Starting out on the Acadia Mountain trail

Man O War truck road takes you easily to the Valley Peak/Cove trail junction

Once at the Valley Cove/Peak Trails junction we took the Valley Peak Trail up. No other options at the moment, as the Valley Cove trail is closed until the perigrine falcons depart. Valley Peak is pretty steep and eroded in spots down low, but nice quiet woods away from the crowds, and eventually after about half a mile some really nice open ledges atop Eagle Cliff with both views, and more blueberries. A nice look down on Sommes Sound and Flying Mountain from the cliffs above Valley Cove. We even saw and heard the perigrine that make the place home zipping about. From there it was a short climb to the top and the last summit of the 26 for my wife. The kids were overly excited for her, and my oldest took a few pics with my camera before we all sat down and had a long snack/water fight in the hot mid-day sun. Eventually we took the St. Sauveur Mountain Trail back to the trailhead, which is a nice pitch pine/ledge filled trail that eases its way down to finish the 3.5 or so mile loop.

Glimpses of Sommes Sound on the fairly steep, wooded climb to the top of Eagle Cliff

Near the top of the cliff things begin to open up

Nice view atop Eagle Cliff

Looking down on Flying Mountain, the lowliest of the Acadia 26

Glimpse of Acadia Mountain up the sound to the north

The kids thought the lobster buoys looked like rainbow sprinkles on ice cream

Another finisher in the books for the Acadia 26!

I joined her for my second round finishing shot, which my 8 year old did well on I thought :D

And of course the kids got in one too

Everyone got some ice cold Coke Zero to celebrate family style 8)

The promise of candy on top is a powerful motivator too :wink:

St. Sauveur Trail was a nice, moderate exit.

So that was that. Another 26 finisher in the books, and she didn't even catch on that she was doing the 26 until she was around #20! :wink: So I guess the kiddos are next up in the family, but my two oldest each only have ten and my youngest has yet to climb up and down anything all on her own, although she could do a couple like Gorham, Beech and South Bubble easily enough if we picked the right trails. We just haven't got that far yet, but it will happen eventually over the years I think. And that's one of the great things about Acadia. There are spectacular hikes for people of all sizes and abilities and with enough return visits just about anyone can hike them all eventually. Some so simple even a three year old can get some wow views in from mountains like those to start up their hiking career early on. You can bag a peak, or two, or three and still have time to do other stuff with your day, or you can string together as much as you want and hike all day long. No hike there of any size has ever let me down.

Later in the day as a bonus hike we took the Quarry Path half a mile from Blackwoods Campground down to Otter Cove to beach comb, where we skipped rocks and found a bunch of nice sea glass, as well as a few shells, rocks, crabs and whatever else caught the kids eyes. Nice little trail that I think is new, or at least newer, since I've stayed at the campground for years and never knew it existed. It connects to a few other trails that seem to do nothing more than go to "town"/the market in Otter Creek, so I still have to hike them for redlining. :? On the way back we even had a deer stroll slowly across the path 30 feet in front of us. It stopped to stare at us but then some noisy people came from the other way, oblivious that it was ever there, and scared it off. But the kids really liked seeing that, and of course, to finish off the hikes for the week, even the side of the road in the campground is filed with blueberries! :D

I don't recall this trail existing until recently but it's a nice half mile path to Otter Cove

It ends at the Park Loop Road on Otter Cove

Great spot to beach comb, skip rocks or just get your toes wet and relax

Lots of sea glass and crabs lying around

How many hikes can you find these on?! :D

We saw this deer a day before, but since I didn't get a picture of the one on the trail, here's a deer. They all look alike

Right on the side of the campground loop road. My wife said dogs probably peed on them, but I thought they tasted fine.

One last night under the stars for the week and that's all folks! :cry:

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part III) - 26 & 26 More
Granite Guy wrote:
Our third hike of the week found us headed for St. Sauveur Mountain, which is the peak I finished my Acadia 26 on and the one my wife would be finishing up her list on also. Sort of by coincidence it was the final peak in my second round

Not buying the whole coincidence thing. 8) :wink: But congrats to you both. :beer:

Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:41 am

JustJoe wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
Our third hike of the week found us headed for St. Sauveur Mountain, which is the peak I finished my Acadia 26 on and the one my wife would be finishing up her list on also. Sort of by coincidence it was the final peak in my second round

Not buying the whole coincidence thing. 8) :wink: But congrats to you both. :beer:

Thanks, but really, with Norumbega and St. Sauveur being my last two peaks the first go round, it did come down to those the second time, since I've done most of the others more than twice already. And having accompanied my wife on all of hers those were all she had left also. St. Sauveur has a lot of nice trails, features and views on it so I'll be back there sooner rather than later, but there's really no reason to go back to Norumbega unless someone I'm with is peakbagging, so it may be where I finish round 3, should that ever happen.

Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:01 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Congrats, u sure do like Acadia! I cannot believe how much ur girls have grown! I feel like time flies! U had great weather!

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:29 pm

hiking lady wrote:
Congrats, u sure do like Acadia! I cannot believe how much ur girls have grown! I feel like time flies! U had great weather!

Guilty as charged! :D It is amazing how fast life goes by, especially when you try and stay busy, but it makes for a lot of great memories, for us and hopefully the kiddos too.

Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]