Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part I :D ) 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part I :D )
Back from the annual summer vacation up there and have sorted through the pics for this years edition of Eight Days in Acadia. Bet you all just couldn't wait for more Acadia reports!! :lol: Anyhow we started the week off last Monday by waking up after a drizzly Sunday to the sound of all the cars starting up to go catch sunrise. I had no plans to but once the kids snuggled up with mommy I decided there was no room for me and headed out quickly to do see what I could see. Once on the road it was clear the summits were all still cloud capped from the clearing rain clouds, so I decided to stay low and go to Otter Cliff, where I had the place to myself to watch what there was of a sunrise across Frenchman Bay as it rose above Schoodic Peninsula. Nice spot and a very short walk from the road to the lower cliff area. One I will return to for a better show some day.

Sunrise from Otter Cliff

Rising above Schoodic

Great Head and Egg Island Light

Nice spot to do yoga

Sun is up. Time to move along

After that I went to the nearby Compass Harbor Trail, which is a half mile long path that winds through the former estate of Acadia's founding father, George Dorr, who worked to put together the lands that would become the beginnings of Acadia, at the time known as Sieur De Monts National Monument. He was the parks first superintendent and lived in a "cottage" built by his wealthy parents on the lands this trail now follows.He spent much of his inheritance and the next 28 years of his life improving and expanding the first national park east of the Mississippi. When he died he left his lands to the park, but sadly the house was destroyed. The lands however remain and the trail heads out to Dorr Point on Compass Harbor, a beauty of a spot looking out at the Porcupine Islands. From there it leads to the foundation of the house where many of the ideas for what would become this awesome little National Park, eventually re-named Acadia, were born and raised. The woods are nicely taking over, but the foundation remains with nice brickwork still holding up on what must have been patio or deck floors. After that I shortly joined the Schooner Head Path and finished the loop back to the car to get the day under way.

The man himself

Nice little wandering path

Compass Harbor

Dorr Point

Compass harbor from Dorr Point

Flowers and Sols Cliff

Granite Staircase used to lead up to the house

The foundation is all that remains

The brick patios are holding up well however

Must have been quite a view once upon a time

But what once looked like this...

...now looks like this

A few of the rhododendrons still remain also, but that's about it

After breakfast we headed for the Hadlock Ponds Trail, which has a quarter mile or so of bog bridges on it as it follows the shore of Upper Hadlock Pond, which we circled and then headed for the Goat Trail up Norumbega Mountain. The trail is pretty darn steep, but short, climbing over 500 feet in half a mile up steep ledges, occasionally with the help of wooden steps and views across the notch. The kids moved right up it like little mountain goats, finding the first blueberries of the trip near the top. Mostly still greenberries on this mountain, but a few nice blue ones to wet their appetite, and in a week or two this one will be bursting with them. Once it hit the ridge we climbed more gradually and views of the higher peaks to the east were frequent and nice as we made our way to the top, where a sign greets you on a mostly wooded summit to let you know you have arrived.

Headed out along Upper Hadlock Pond

Kids loved the bog bridges. I loved the views.

Bridge of a different kind along the trails

Headed up the very steep and fairly rough Goat Trail

Not sure what this is, but mixed in with them were the first blueberries of the trip

Still more green than blue on this mountain. Maybe this is natures way of rationing them to passing hikers

My 5 year old (and 3 year old) love them!!

My 8 year old loves to pick them but doesn't like them at all

Enough scenery to keep it interesting

The top. Add it to her Acadia list! :D

Doesn't count for her. Only made about half of it on her own. 8)

From there the trail follows the long summit ridge through nice pitch pine with some decent views scattered about. Sometimes towards Sargent Mountain, other times towards Sommes Sound and the western mountains. Blueberry hunting took forever, with little success this time, but eventually we began to drop and came to the junction for the Golf Course Trail, which makes for a slightly longer loop as it drops down and out of the park through quiet woods before meandering right through a golf course as promised. Very lightly used and not blazed after leaving the park, it made for an interesting route to Lower Hadlock Pond, where we followed the trails back into the park proper and back to the car along Hadlock Brook before going to town for an ice cream as a reward.

Nice pines along the half mile long summit ridge

Occasional views, like this one to the east...

...and this one to the west

The lightly used Golf Course Trail...

...which leaves the park boundaries for a bit...

...and wanders along a golf course

Back at Lower Hadlock Pond and into the park where it got a little cloudy

Finishing up along Hadlock Brook

Not a bad first full day to the trip. A good breeze kept things cool, as the temps were unusually high all week for up there (84-86 every day) and bright sunshine was the name of the game. Total mileage for the Norumbega hike was about 4.5, which is one of my kids longer hikes to date, but still only about 1000 feet of climbing. It was the longest hike we had planned as a family for the week and I wanted to get it out of the way while their legs were still fresh, and everything went according to plan. The Compass Harbor hike was a nice bonus mile for the day and an interesting redlining jaunt for me. That's the end of the trip report, but a good start to the week, and don't you worry, there's more where this came from. Stay tuned! :D

Last edited by Granite Guy on Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia
And I thought Megan (3 year old granddaughter) was the only person in the universe that did not like blueberries!

Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:

Not sure what this is

Mountain Laurel I believe. And I love to see the pics of your girls hiking in their skirts and dresses. So cute.

Keep up the trs from this place GG. One of these days I'm gonna get me over there.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:52 am

What? We have another 7 of these to deal with? Your title lead me to believe all 8 days were in this one. I feel cheated. :evil: 8)

Looks like a good first day. :)

Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:34 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Re: Yet Another 8 Days In Acadia (Part I :D )
Great first day, looking forward to the rest....
The girls are adorable as usual.

Terry

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:34 am

Beckie and Prema wrote:
And I thought Megan (3 year old granddaughter) was the only person in the universe that did not like blueberries!

Actually I think our fellow forumites Greg and Peter also don't like them. Their loss. More for us! :D

Kathy wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
Mountain Laurel I believe. And I love to see the pics of your girls hiking in their skirts and dresses. So cute.

Keep up the trs from this place GG. One of these days I'm gonna get me over there.

I think I knew that at one point. Tough getting old. :( But I'll keep posting. Maybe one of these days I'll give you enough of a reason to go check out the place yourself! :wink:

JustJoe wrote:
What? We have another 7 of these to deal with? Your title lead me to believe all 8 days were in this one. I feel cheated. :evil: 8)

Looks like a good first day. :)

Fixe the title for ya! 8) I wouldn't force eight of these upon the place, but there will be a couple more. A little less hiking than usual this year. It was unusualy hot (for up there) and second we were bust watching whales (live ones this time! :D ) doing the horse drawn carriage ride, jumping waves at the beach, etc etc etc...

Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:42 am

That's funny. I was actually thinking about doing a carriage ride this time. I know Becky will go for it. 8)

Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:53 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Nice report. I don't know how anyone can get into that water. Was it up to its typical summertime high of 55 degrees?
Kids will swim no matter how cold it is, I guess.

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:03 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Beckie and Prema wrote:

Greg is not a huge fan either, though after gobbling a bunch of nice sweet wild ones up on the Boulder Loop Saturday he may have relented. Still, those tasteless giant ones they sell at the grocery store are so disappointing when compared to ones picked, and eaten, right then and there. :D

Brian

Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Joe the carriage ride was nice. We wanted to do the 2 hour bridge tour, but it was full. They said it usually fills up weeks in advance, so we ended up on the Day Mountain Loop, which was nice, but it was hot, so one hour seemed perfect for that day. If you do want to do one book in advance. You can cancel up to three hours before and not be charged for anything.

hophiker wrote:
Nice report. I don't know how anyone can get into that water. Was it up to its typical summertime high of 55 degrees?
Kids will swim no matter how cold it is, I guess.

Probably because it was in the 80's every day that week, but the water was warmer than usual. All the way up to 57! 8) I'm usually the one who goes in the ocean with the kids, but even my wife (who never goes in the ocean past her knees) went body surfing in the almost tropical waters! :D

New Hampshire wrote:
those tasteless giant ones they sell at the grocery store are so disappointing when compared to ones picked, and eaten, right then and there. :D

Brian

So true. My kids wont touch the store bought ones. They'll eat them fresh picked from local farms, and love them right off the mountainside. Really it's hard to blame them. Wild berries are natures candy. We loaded up on them today! 8)

Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]