Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Potash Mountain 6-19-2016 
Master Mountaineer

Potash Mountain 6-19-2016
We figured it was time to get back up north, now that life for us has calmed down a bit. We were looking for something that would be quick, but worth the trip, seeing how it was Father’s Day and the end of Laconia Bike week. We lucked out heading home and hit no traffic. We decided to head to Potash Mountain. We figured you don’t hear much about this mountain, so compared to Hedgehog (which we still need to hike), we were hoping it wouldn’t be crowded. Overall, this little mountain is a gem!
We got to the parking lot by 7:30AM got our gear ready and started to head out. There were only a couple other vehicles in the lot. Even at that hour the roar of the motorcycles could be heard going up and down the Kanc. The Downes Brook Trail is more like an access road for the 0.3 miles it takes to get to the Mount Potash Trail. Funny how it is Potash Mountain, but the trail to it is Mount Potash Trail.
Once on the Mount Potash Trail it doesn’t take long to get to the crossing of Downes Brook. With the lack of rain we have been experiencing, the crossing was very easy. At about 0.7 miles we came to the WMNF logging road that is another way to access the mountain if Downes Brook is unpassable. Continuing on the trail we hit a variety of trail conditions from dirt to boulders, to roots and open slab. The trail is in great shape and well-marked.
When we got to the lookout area, we were really happy with the choice of mountain that we made for the days adventure. The views though hazy were really nice. Passaconaway loomed close by. We took a short break taking in the views then continued on. When we got to the final push, the views behind us were great, but it was the first time we felt out heart rates kick it up a notch, that and the fact the temp and humidity were on the rise.
Up on the summit, there is a survey marker and an ‘X’ painted on the summit. Oh yeah and there was views galore to be had. Again they were hazy, but there were there. Shortly after we got there, we ran into our first hikers of the day. They didn’t stay long and we took our summit video and headed down ourselves.
We did see other hikers as we made our way back down, but by the amount of vehicles parked in the lot, we figured Hedgehog was a little more crowded that Potash. This was a great little hike and we may considered it as a winter hike next time.
For those interested in seeing the hike or trail conditions we did post our usual video on YouTube. Just click the link… Best viewed in 1080p60

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz0GLfvZFZM

Completed Belknap 12 in June 2014
NH 92 Fire Tower List 92/92
Our Videos: www.youtube.com/WeRmudfun

Last edited by WeRmudfun on Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:51 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Potash Mountain 6-19-2016
Cool. Didn't watch the whole video, computer messing up with YouTube links. :(

Are there as many blueberries up there as on Hedgehog?

Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:04 am
Master Mountaineer

Kathy wrote:

We saw lots of blueberry bushes on Potash. Can't compare it to Hedgehog because we have yet to hike it. I don't know what we are waiting for. :shock: :lol:

Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

We had a lovely view of Potash Saturday morning. Missed you by that much! :mrgreen:

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:44 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

WeRmudfun wrote:
Kathy wrote:

We saw lots of blueberry bushes on Potash. Can't compare it to Hedgehog because we have yet to hike it. I don't know what we are waiting for. :shock: :lol:

Wait til July. Bring a bucket. :wink:

Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:19 pm
Master Mountaineer

madmattd wrote:
We had a lovely view of Potash Saturday morning. Missed you by that much! :mrgreen:

Nice shot! :D

Kathy wrote:
WeRmudfun wrote:
Kathy wrote:

Wait til July. Bring a bucket. :wink:

Will do, thanks. :D

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

WeRmudfun wrote:
madmattd wrote:

Nice shot! :D

Now the question is, where was I? :)

Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:49 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Well let's see, unless this is a trick question it has to be from a 4000 footer in the vicinity of Mt. Potash, looks like from a rockslide lots of re looks like from a rockslide. I'll guess the Downes Brook slide.

I think Potash was my second hike ever. I've been a few times since then but not in the last 10 years. Nice to see it hasn't gotten overgrown like so many others seem to have. Might have to take the family up this one this summer.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:27 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Well let's see, unless this is a trick question it has to be from a 4000 footer in the vicinity of Mt. Potash, looks like from a rockslide lots of re looks like from a rockslide. I'll guess the Downes Brook slide.

Well that was too easy :) Yes, Patrick and I went up the Downes Brook Slide Trail (closed/abandoned since the late '50s). You can see it around 4:25 in Chuck&Cheryl's video. The slide was pretty easy going as it was actually pretty dry. The trail in the woods above? Holy cow can you say steep?!

I need to get to Potash (and Hedgehog) one of these days. It's been planned a few times, but yet to actually happen.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 am
Master Mountaineer

madmattd wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:

Well that was too easy :) Yes, Patrick and I went up the Downes Brook Slide Trail (closed/abandoned since the late '50s). You can see it around 4:25 in Chuck&Cheryl's video. The slide was pretty easy going as it was actually pretty dry. The trail in the woods above? Holy cow can you say steep?!

I need to get to Potash (and Hedgehog) one of these days. It's been planned a few times, but yet to actually happen.

WOW! You hiked that huh? Cool Like you we still need Hedgehog. It's been on the radar for a while.

GG: Potash is a nice little hike for the family, not overgrown at all. We really enjoyed the hike.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]