Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Peak-Bagging in Acadia...Part II 6/19/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Peak-Bagging in Acadia...Part II 6/19/16
Sunday was the second of 2 gorgeous days in Acadia. Clear as a bell
again and actually chilly with the stiff breeze I had all day. The plan for
this day, was to hit another 2 on the 26 list. But even more important was
doing a long (for Acadia) hike. Becky can't seem to differentiate hiking in
Acadia vs the Whites. She doesn't look at the mileage or elevation gain, she
just counts mountains. So, Beech and Beech Cliff, she's beat. What? Really?
I've said it beofre, she's into this whole relaxing thing on vacation. I just don't
get it. :roll: :lol: So Sunday called for many miles and mountains. And I say
mountains with a grain of salt. 8)

Here's the hike. First, Pemetic and Day were the 2 peaks I needed. So I,
Started at the Bubble Pond lot

and climbed Pemetic.

Next I descended the south side of Pemetic using the Pemetic east Cliff Tr. Very Steep.

Now up The Triad. We went there last year on a dismal day. Had great views this day. :roll: 8)
Then down, and up Day Mtn. Great views there too. :roll: :roll: :P

Then it was Quickly back down to the carriage road from Day.

Next, a short carriage road walk to the Triad-Hunters Brook Tr. up and over what I'd call
a west sub-peak of The Triad. Better views from it.

This continued down a couple different trails I think to Jordan Pond.

Then a nice walk along the east shores of Jordan Pond.

The fun climb up to South Bubble.

And the classic view.

Bump. On North Bubble now with a similar but different view. I like this one better.

I continued from there on The Bubbles Tr. down the north ridge. Which was very nice.

Last up on the hit list was Conners Nubble. Went there last year and thought
it was a cool little bump.

My plan was to continue down The Bubbles Tr. to Eagle Lake Tr. then back to the
parking lot at Bubble Pond. But I really wanted to finish by 2:00 PM and probably
couldn't if I did. So I went back down to the carriage road for an easy downhill walk
back.

But about half way there, I got slightly clipped by a 7ish, year old boy flying
down the road 4 abreast with 3 others. Parents no where in sight. They've no idea
how lucky they are. :evil: The parents that is. :twisted: This happened just before the
Jordan Pond Carry Trial so I decided it was best for all concerned, 8) , I get off the
road here.

The south end of Eagle Lake.

And Done!

My GPS read 12 miles and 3350 elevation gain. But G.E. came up with 10.7 miles and 3100'
I'll just split the difference. :D

Either way, a great day and a great little loop. :)

P.S. A little birdie told there's another Hike-NH'er enjoying Mt. Desert Island right now. :wink:

Last edited by JustJoe on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Peak-Bagging in Acadia...Part II 6/19/16
This looks almost like the loop me and Derek did a few months back. Some great views to be had. Your trip looked quite a bit nicer with all the greenery now. There are soon to be two other hike NHrs up there within the next few weeks as well. We need a temporary rename to "Hike Acadia".

Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:06 pm

thegibba wrote:
This looks almost like the loop me and Derek did a few months back.

Yes. This...

...looks an awful lot like this :D

Man, you get the best weather up there! I enjoy making loops in Acadia like this. I can't believe Becky can do one mountain up there and call it good and not want to just see more more more! I really enjoyed the trails from Conners Nubble to North Bubble. I don't think Gibba enjoyed it quite as much as I did. He was either toast, or ready to go home...or both. I too like North Bubble's view better than South.

Shot in the dark, is it Bob who's up there? I know he wanted to go last year but didn't make it. Maybe this year they did?? Slight thread hijack here, but speaking of up there, if anyone else is up there the second week of July and wants to meet up for a hike, or drink around the fire, or whatever let PM me and let me know. I'll be up there all week with the family and usually get a day off for a bigger hike for good behavior! :D

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'd say both at that time. The section along able lake headed towards Connors nubble was annoying . The drive home I was not looking forward to. Whatever. We have our off days. Those trails will get their due eventually. I was a good section of trail. I just wasted it on a poor mindset.

Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:59 pm

Granite Guy wrote:

Yes. This...

...looks an awful lot like this :D

And here I thought I came up with this loop on my own. Didn't remember that one at all. :?

So Whst's the track heading up Cadillac? Is that where the wall was? :wink:

Granite Guy wrote:
I can't believe Becky can do one mountain up there and call it good and not want to just see more more more!

Like I said, she literally counts mountains, not mileage. Definitely a physiological thing with her.
And as I also said, she's into this weird thing called "relaxing on vacation." :roll: 8)

Granite Guy wrote:
Shot in the dark, is it Bob who's up there? I know he wanted to go last year but didn't make it. Maybe this year they did?? Slight thread hijack here, but speaking of up there, if anyone else is up there the second week of July and wants to meet up for a hike, or drink around the fire, or whatever let PM me and let me know

It could be that elusive Bob guy. 8) I most likely will not be heading back up until
we head up the second week in August. There is a slim chance I may head up solo again
on the 4th weekend since I have Tuesday off I'd head home that day to miss the mass
exodus. :shock:

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:42 am

The little track is where we hit wet, steep ledges on the West Face trail and we thought it would be better to turn around, so made up the second half of the loop on the fly. We did our version of the CC, you went CW (CC version http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9150 ) but we skipped the Triad, South Bubble (and the kids on bikes! ) and added in a few trails for relining purposes instead. Another great thing about Acadia, you can just head off on the trails with no plan and decide as you go where you want to go and how to get back. Starting this weekend until Columbus Day you can do all kinds of traverses without a car spot using their propane powered Island Explorer buses. I'm looking forward to a few of those this year to get to my 100 miles.

Peter's right. The place definitely looks better in blue/green than brown/grey! :D

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:18 am

Granite Guy wrote:
Starting this weekend until Columbus Day you can do all kinds of traverses without a car spot using their propane powered Island Explorer buses.

We use that all the time when we are there. Mostly from the hotel into town and back but started a couple years ago using it for the very reason you mentioned. Works great for that. :)

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:26 am
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Nice reports Joe. I got to Acadia on Monday the 20th, the day after your second day. We mostly did some flat stuff because due to some physical issues, my wife can't really handle much elevation gain - Ocean Path, Compass Harbor trail, Jordan Stream trail, Jesup Path (which starts at the Wild Gardens of Acadia). Did some biking on the carriage roads once. Kind of a half Bar Harbor tourist/half Acadia vacation. I'll put up a brief TR later, been either too busy or too lazy to do much with TRs lately, though I have 2 or 3 White Mountain trips I should probably post...

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]