Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Peak Bagging in Acadia. Part I 6/18/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Peak Bagging in Acadia. Part I 6/18/16
All my planets were aligned this past weekend. First, it was Becky's weekend on.
Second, the weather gods were very kind. Since I went up there for the first time
in early June last year (broken), I wanted to get there this year same time before the
masses hit and everything is so green and the air is clear. Watching the weather for
a couple weeks, I'd planned on taking Thursday and Friday off and do it. But my not
trusting weather 3 days out, I was beat out on taking Friday off by 2 others. :evil:
Really wanted to do this on week days. No matter, it turned out just fine. Still a tad
early for the weekends to be crazy. :)

So here day ones plan. Since Becky wasn't with me, bushwhacking was in order.
I really doubt she cares about the Acadia 26 since she's not all that interested in
what she has left for the 52WAV. Anyway, MacFarland and Youngs were the plan. But I
planned to add a wrinkle to it. Since I missed the more open ledge and possibly high point
on Great Hill last year, a return visit to that was worked in. Plus, looking at it on G.E., it's
westerly neighbor Brewer, looked like it may have some open ledge too. Hell, doesn't
everything in Acadia? :D

I left home at 3:00. Was planning on 4:00 but the little kid in me wouldn't let me sleep. 8)
I decided to check out GG's and thegibba's route on the way there. I'm not sold. :wink:
It was good early morning Staurday but I think it may have been trouble Sunday afternoon.
Those coastal towns can be killer. But, as thegibba said, this is cool.

I arrived at the parking lot on Rt. 233 for the carriage road at the north end of Eagle Lake at 8:30.
This was the hike/whack in a nut shell. I road my bike up 233 to Duck Brook Rd. Then about
.5 miles up Duck Brook Rd. There, I stashed it and started my whack of Great Hill. Next, I
back tracked to Duck Brook Rd, walked south for a bit, and started the whack up Brewer.
Which did not have as open ledge views as I thought it might. Figuring that out on G.E. is a
crap shoot. Then, I bushwhacked down to the carriage road between it and MacFarland.
Did another short walk south and started the whack for MacFarland and Youngs. But I slabbed
north and hit Youngs first. Then I followed the well defined herd path tp MacFarland. Lastly, I had
planned to whack due east, straight down to the carriage road and to the car. But Why waste a
perfectly good herd path. 8) I ended up hitting a forest road, then out to 233. Where I had
a .5 mile road walk to the car.

Although it was nice to do a fairly lengthy bushwhack with some OK views. I'm torn whether I wasted
an awesome day for great views on Acadia's finest.

Some shots along the way.

The side of Duck Brook Rd.

From the top of Great Hill

The little I got from Brewer.

Just below the summit of Youngs.

View from MacFarland.

The route.

Anyway, I think, this makes 15/26 of the Acadia 26.

Click Pik 4 Pix

Last edited by JustJoe on Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:47 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Peak Bagging in Acadia. Part I 6/18/16
Everything is so beautiful, but, man, that turtle is the BEST!!!!!!

Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:23 pm

JustJoe wrote:
I decided to check out GG's and thegibba's route on the way there. I'm not sold. :wink:
It was good early morning Staurday but I think it may have been trouble Sunday afternoon.

This may be true. I think whenever I use it it's either really early in the AM, later at night, or I'm with the family and between bathroom breaks, snack breaks, stopping to go up the observatory or whatever I wouldn't necessarily notice it was a slow go. I still like it, but Labor Day Weekend may not be the best time to use it.

I've thought of attempting Brewer before, but alas it is a whack, and not on the list, so, after hearing it has little in the way of views why bother! :D There is an abandoned trail up Youngs that started on Breakneck Road. I have yet to find it or any real information on where it actually started, but plan to explore a lot of the abandoned trails and sights of Acadia once the redlining is finished so maybe someday I'll find it. Great Hill looks, well, great! :D I need to get there. Any of the routes you have used easy enough for an idiot like me with a wife and three kids in tow to find our way up in a few weeks?

Shame about the weather too, but with all your stars aligning and Becky needing to work ( that's funny right there! :lol: ) did you get to camp and enjoy the stars in those cloudless skies?

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I'm even more excited to hit up Acadia in the coming weeks! How many "great hills can we fit on "the list". I'll vote a yes on this one also.

Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:45 pm

I think I messed up on the time I left home or arrived. Because I know I was
in the visitors center parking lot in just over 4 hours, 7:45, thinking I made
great time.

As far as taking the same route home, I just remember my first trip there, Becky's
second. I let her talk me into a romantic drive home via Rt. 1. Duplicating what she
did with an X boyfriend. :roll: Not knowing (no GPS or smart phone) the best way to get
back to 95, I had a nice 7 hour ride home. We're literally, lucky to be still together
after that day. :evil: I think what saved her is she got me to go there in the first
place. After I insisted it was just a tourist trap and not worth the effort. :roll: 8)

GG, I saw no evidence of a trail on the route I took up Youngs. And no to the camping.
I love the place we stay up there and it was the last chance to get their best, $80 cheaper. :D

Last edited by JustJoe on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:22 am

4 hours from Ipswich?! :shock: See, you can day hike here more often now! :wink:

But yeah, whatever you do skip the 1/1A route unless you're just out for a cruise or want to see some lighthouses. Going through Brunswick, Rockland, Camden... Traffic hell in summer. I might just want to drive myself off that bridge after 6 hours of that just to get to it!!

Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]