Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Twins + Galehead 
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Twins + Galehead
Solo tripped North Twin, South Twin, and Galehead on Saturday 6/4/16

The parking lot for this hike is on haystack road which is off route 3 going east, about a mile or so before Breton Woods.

The north twin trail is pretty awesome. I started at 7:50am on a mostly flat walk along the Little River for 2+ miles. After you break away from the river, continuing to north twin summit is a moderate/steep climb. I reached north twin summit at 10:30am (4.3 miles in 2hrs 40min). You can see Mt Washington from the lookout here. Kept going on north twin trail to south twin summit, reached that peak at 11:20am. (1.3 miles in 50min). Nice summit area and great 360 degree views. You can see Garfield and the Franconia ridge from the summit. Took the twinway trail .8miles to galehead hut (that .8 was harder than expected).. and stopped at the hut for a snack before continuing another .5 miles to Galehead summit. This summit is a small rock pile in the middle of thick trees, but there is a lookout close by with good views. Got to Galehead summit at 12:40pm (1.3 miles in 1hr 10min).

I went back on the same route, took some pictures on the summits, and stopped towards the end to soak my legs in the ice cold river. I left the Galehead hut at 1:10pm and was back at the parking lot at 5:45pm.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]