Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Cleveland NF vs White Mtn NF 
Sovereign Woodsman

Cleveland NF vs White Mtn NF
Got to hike in the Cleveland National Forest near Temecula, CA last week, and got to hike in the White Mountain National Forest near Bartlett, NH this week. Here is a visual comparative analysis:

They have warning signs:

We have warning signs:

I prefer ours. We did not encounter any mountain lions out west, we also did not encounter any adverse weather on Eisenhower Saturday.

They have stream beds:

We have stream beds:

I prefer ours. We have water.

They have trees:

We have trees:

I prefer ours. We have leaves.

They have flowers:

We have flowers:

Flowers on both coasts are beautiful. I have no idea how the west coast climate can possibly support the varied plant life we saw on our 4.5 mile trek but somehow they are able to eek out an existence.

Grateful to have the opportunity to experience such extremes of climate, terrain, vistas. But now I'm back to my usual stomping grounds. I was able to firm up some plans for my next west coast adventure which will include another trip to Yosemite. But that's another story for another time.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:53 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Cleveland NF vs White Mtn NF
Nice, but seemingly unfair (to Cleveland) comparison. I googled it since I've never been there, but there sure looks like some awesome hiking and scenery there. I had no idea anything like this was near San Diego. It really looks like a Yosemite-lite with a slightly more desert feel to it from what I saw. You must have picked the "Mt. Hale" of the west to hike!! :lol: :wink:

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

So are you saying I shouldn't bother going here?

Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:26 am

So, it I have to make a choice, I prefer hiking where I could freeze to death vs being eaten alive. 8)

Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:17 am
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
So are you saying I shouldn't bother going here?

Not at all Peter. It's a beautiful area - just a different kind of beautiful. I lived there for two years and never did quite adjust to the desert life.

The nice thing about it is that it's a quiet oasis pretty close to my brother's house. Within 20 mins or so of leaving his house we had boots on trail.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
sure looks like some awesome hiking and scenery there. I had no idea anything like this was near San Diego.

It was pretty cool, and ya gotta admit an interesting contrast to our East Coast territory. It's about an hour and a half outside of San Diego. It did not make me think of Yosemite, but if that works for you....

An interesting twist was that I was given the option of starting at the top and hiking down into the drainage and then back-tracking OR driving a little farther and starting at the bottom and hiking up to a viewpoint.

Let's mix it up I said. I'm on the opposite coast I said. Let's break with the norm I said. Same amount of work, right? I said. HA! Problem was that we were hiking back, in the heat of the day, uphill, when we came upon the tree with the incredible swarm of hornets or bees. I didn't hang around long enough to get up close and personal. I had 2 epipens but if those things decided I was a threat I'd be dead before the 1st dose coursed through my veins! Needless to say I ran past there and kept up the quick pace w/o stopping near enough to stay hydrated. I ended up with a nasty dehydration headache that lingered into the next day.

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:04 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
So, it I have to make a choice, I prefer hiking where I could freeze to death vs being eaten alive. 8)

I'm with ya on that one!

Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:05 pm

For sure its not a spitting image. Just reminded me a little of the high Sierra country, especially the drive east out of the park towards mono lake I think it was. Or maybe my memory is bad, it's been ten years s since my last trip to Yosemite. Nice scenery at any rate.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]