Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Tripyramid via Brook Trails 05/29 
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Tripyramid via Brook Trails 05/29
Not really a unique trip, so I wasn't going to post a report, but there haven't been many trip reports lately, so I figured why not, especially since I FINALLY got to do some hiking over Memorial Day weekend. My wife and I headed north after work on Friday, fighting the crowds all the way to Concord. It was clear sailing after that, but we were worried about getting a campsite. No need to worry: not only did we get a site, but we were able to snag our "regular" site at Passaconaway CG:

Strange, but the campground wasn't full on any of the three nights. Saturday we had a long bike ride on the Presidential Range Rail Trail (nice!) and a short hike to Ripley Falls. Sunday was the day we planned to do a longer hike. I thought we were going to do Chocorua, and I also suggested Hedgehog and a few others, and then almost as an afterthought, Tripyramid. Much to my surprise, my wife expressed a desire to climb Tripyramid in order to bag a 4000-footer. This was a first; she has never had any interest in peakbagging, in fact she has missed several 4000 foot summits by a quarter-mile or less. In any case, I readily agreed. I had climbed Tripyramid twice before, both times via the slides, but there is NO WAY my wife was going to climb the North Slide, so we decided to use the Brook trails: up via Sabbaday Brook Trail and down via Pine Bend Brook Trail. It's a loop I was always interested in anyway. We stashed a bike at the Pine Bend Brook trailhead, then drove to Sabbaday. It was early and the weather wasn't great, so there was nobody else at Sabbaday Falls. It was nice to visit the Falls again, but we didn't take any pictures, then we started up the rest of the trail. This is a very nice trail. The first 4-plus miles are very moderate and easy walking. The only challenge is the water crossings, of which there are many. Only the first few are a little tricky, though I wouldn't want to hike this trail in high water:

And some blowdowns presented minor obstacles:

But much of the trail looks like this:

A cool tree, growing out of a huge stump:

We knew we weren't going to get any views, because it was cloudy and hazy. But it was still a nice hike, made more enjoyable because of the flowers, including trilliums ....

... and a nice patch of violets:

... and a yellow flower that we couldn't identify:

... and even the hobblebush looked nice:

And the brook is really nice, though this section has taken a beating, probably from Irene or Sandy:

The trail got MUCH steeper for the last half-mile up to the ridge, with some slippery slabs:

Some ice near the top of the trail:

When we reached the ridge, we ate lunch, then headed over to Middle Tripyamid, which I remembered as having some decent views. But not today - this is the best we could get:

Then we backtracked over to North Peak, where it wasn't worth taking any pictures, but we took a short break, then headed down the Pine Bend Brook Trail. We didn't think this was as nice as the Sabbaday Brook Trail, but it wasn't bad. There are MANY brook crossings, and we did a few extra ones when we missed turns in the trail, but they are generally pretty easy. Beginner gymnastics skills are useful in one section:

Then a quick bike ride back to the car. So there were no views to speak of, but it was a nice hike nonetheless. 10.5 miles and 3250' of elevation gain. And we saw fewer than ten people all day. Chocorua would have been a lot more crowded and we still wouldn't have had any views. And 4000-footers 8 and 9 for my wife. Now she has her eye on some of the other easy ones - Tom, Jackson, Pierce, ... I'm OK with reclimbing those peaks.

Last edited by hophiker on Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Tripyramid via Brook Trails 05/29
Nice nice. Those flowers on Sabbaday Brook Trail look really cool! Ever since I did Mt. Mitchell/Craig, I've been on the lookout for wildflowers on the trail.

Still gotta put on my man pants and do the North Slide at some point :lol:

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

You should do the North Slide. If I did it, you should have no trouble. We liked it, and I'll be the first to admit I ducked into the woods from time to time when the going got rough.

Hophiker, thanks for posting this! I was considering it; it would have to be on vacation, I don't feel like driving home after that.

Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:02 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Awesome seeing spring bloom out there. I think this route was my 2nd or third trip up a 4k. The sabbaday Brook trail was a nice walk in the woods. As was pine bend. I'd love to hit up the slides but I'd have a hard time wasting a great day on some wooded humps. Some day....

Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:31 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Hey now, don't withhold trip reports because they're not unique... even if it's peaks people have climbed before, I always enjoy reading about the unique perspective and photos each person provides. So thanks for sharing. I did the Tripyramids via the slide loop, but I do need to do a couple of other side peaks (Fool Killer and Scaur) that will take me on these trails.

Oh, and thegibba, you do realize that even on "wooded humps" that if you climb the SLIDE route, you will be in the open with views :wink:

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:30 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

The wildflowers seem to be a couple weeks late this year. Cool that they have arrived in force however. Between your report and Joe's they all seem to be peaking at once. I've never seen a patch of violets that big. The yellow flowers are trout lily.

I'm thinking the weather forecast (which turned out a little better than I expected) scared more than a few campers off. I know the forecast of rain early Monday it made us cancel our plans to camp for the weekend. Sounds like it kept things relatively quiet for those who chanced it.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:45 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks for the tr. Glad you posted it. I've wondered about that approach - mostly b/c I like water crossings. Like the bike spot idea too. I have to do some trail work in that area so just might work this into my weekend.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:52 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I was thinking of this for this coming Sunday, but then I saw Birthday Boy's flowers (thanks, Joe). I'll save it for later this summer.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:30 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Even though its peaks are for the most part "wooded humps", I really like Tripyramid for some reason. I love the slides and the ridge walk, and there are SOME views from Middle and South. And I like the views OF Tripyramid from Waterville, especially from Osceola Vista CG.

As krpayer said, the views from the North Slide are good, and if the weather had been decent, we would have gone down to the top of it to get the views. I actually started down, but then I saw how steep it was and decided I didn't want to climb back up after not getting any views.

I think the weather forecast did probably scare off some people. Listening to the forecast on Sunday night, we fully expected to be packing up in the rain on Monday morning. We heard about ten drops of rain during the night, but Monday actually ended up being the best of the three days - sunny with blue skies. I don't know how they could have gotten it so wrong. We took advantage of that to do a quick hike out to Church Pond, which was great, except for the biggest crop of mosquitoes I've ever seen on the way out there. I had to put on a fleece just to save my arms, even though it must have been 80 degrees.

hiker0200 - I don't think the North Slide is as bad as the Guide makes it seem. Yes it's challenging, but it's really fun. And you sure did "put on your man pants" to drive to NC and VA. Wow! I was down there last summer and loved it, but I could NEVER do that much driving over such a short period of time.

Kathy - easiest bike spot ever. About a mile, fairly flat. I thought about walking it, but figured the bike spot would save a little time. I would recommend leaving the bike at Pine Bend Brook and parking at Sabbaday vs the opposite. There's no lot at Pine Bend Brook; you have to park on the side of the road. Sabbaday has the big lot, of course.

Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]