Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Mt Abraham, ME. 5/28/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Mt Abraham, ME. 5/28/16
I had something else in mind for last Saturday but a look at the temps for the day where
I wanted to go were way too hot. I did plan on giving the 67 another go in a couple weeks.
For the heck of it I looked at the temps up there and they were a little cooler and breezier.
That along with a trail conditions report that said nearly snow and ice free.

So let t be written, so let it be done.

Google was saying 3:15 for a driving time and it was close. No idea prior, but 2 new bridges on
Rapid Stream Rd. gets you right to the trail-head parking for the Fire Wardens Trail.

Having said that, Rapid Stream Rd. is by for the worst piece of crap road I've ever driven. And I've
done at 50+ miles on forest roads in pursuit of the NH200. Not to mention several trips on Success Pond Rd.
Actually more like 100+ miles on dirt roads. My teeth are still chattering. I hope CVR is not that bad.

With an early on road start, I was on trail 7:45.

The first significant thing you come to is the old fire wardens cabin site. The only thing there now is this.
I guess it's pretty cool having a bathroom half way into your hike. :roll: 8)

Pretty much immediately after that spot, the trail starts to climb. Steady and steep. I used
to hate trails that are a slow gradual approach in then a straight up. I actually prefer this now.
You get a nice warm up period then you're not knee busting all the way out.

The climb.

It was starting to heat up pretty good now, much do to steep climb. And the BF's were getting pretty
annoying. But wait, do I see clearing ahead? And maybe a breeze and some views.:beer:

Temps dropped at least 15 degrees. BF's, gone. Views, that would be a yes!

At this spot there was also this sign. Now idea why it's being called the AT here. The blazes are all blue
which as far as I know means leads to the AT. At least it doesn't say AT, can't git theya from heeya. 8)

The trail now goes through a huge talus field. Get views from trail but very lose footing.
Old broken guys need to take care in here. :shock:

Nearing the summit, the Diapensia lapponica was in bloom.

And shortly after, the summit was in site.

First up, just a tad below the summit, this.

It may have been mentioned in reports I may have read but really don't remember. It appears to be a
very elaborate shelter made from a ton of summit stone and the roof of the cab of the old fire tower.
Pretty cool.

And last but not least, the summit. unfortunately it was very hazy and distant views were not to be had.

Hmmm, it appears to be higher over there. I should check it out.

Glad I did. This looks very Franconia Ridge like. Although as far as I can see, there's no official trail
past this point.

Hmmm, now it looks higher back there. Funny how that works.

I spent about 30 minutes on the summit with no one else around. Very cooling breeze and despite the haze
I was loving the views. Here's a cool view down to Farmers Mtn.

Having made such good time on the drive and hike, I was anxious to get heading down and home
early. The last shot I took before reentering the woods. Black Nubble is the dark green peak in the middle.

So, I left the house at 4 AM and was home by 5:30. A much shorter day than I thought it would be.
I had been struggling on my last couple hikes but manged to do this one in good time.
That, and the drive went surprisingly well. Great pick for this day. :D

Click Pik 4 Pix

Tue May 31, 2016 9:27 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Mt Abraham, ME. 5/28/16
It looks a lot nicer over there than it was in NH Saturday! Hot, hot, hot! And viciously buggy, with no breeze :( Abraham is a great peak, good to see you finally got it. As for the bridges, yes they are less than 1 year old (they weren't there in Jan 2015, and I remember reading they were put in some time last Spring/Summer), and the road is garbage. The last I was on it, the CVR was no where near as bad, not even near as bad as Success Pond Road. Granted that was a couple years ago now, but I'm thinking you will be OK. Abraham is the best of the CVR 6-pack though, I've got to say ;)

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Tue May 31, 2016 11:25 am

Love Mt. Abraham. That long rocky ridge looks like it should have a trail on but alas it does not. :( I too thought that second bump looked higher from the summit. It's not, but it's a nice look back. That might be where I looked up that if something is below the horizon from your vantage point it's lower than you, and vice versa.

I know in the past you have said you are done with lists. If that's still the case you don't need to worry about CVR. Unless you're checking those off the list there's nothing up that road that's worth the drive, be it in good shape or not.

Tue May 31, 2016 12:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Glad to see another Abraham report! Love that mountain!

I hear ya on Rapid Stream Rd. Past the bridges, it was wretched. Had to go 2-5 MPH that whole way to avoid bottoming out. Once on the mountain, though, I didn't see anyone else that whole hike!

As far as CVR goes- I did 30 MPH on that road at one point, in a small Kia Rio. If my car can make it, anything can :lol: !

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Tue May 31, 2016 2:06 pm

madmattd wrote:
It looks a lot nicer over there than it was in NH Saturday! Hot, hot, hot! And viciously buggy, with no breeze :(

Hence the first sentence of the TR. I love it when things work out. :D

Granite Guy wrote:

I know in the past you have said you are done with lists. If that's still the case
you don't need to worry about CVR.

No, actually I said last year when I did Saddleback and The Horn I'd decided to try
and finish the NE67. If for no other reason than it was something to do. Since I'd been
drawing blanks when it came time to thinking up a hike for the weekend. :?

Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:50 am

JustJoe wrote:
That's it for list's for this hiker. I can no longer look at hiking as I do, going to work on Monday mornings. And that's how lists make me feel sometimes.

The force is strong in Maine. It only took 18 months to suck you back into the list. 8) Next thing you know you'll be doing a day trip to Schoodic.

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:32 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Those clouds make these gorgeous photos even more beautiful. Now, does anyone think a Corolla may kill itself on that road? I hope not, because now I really want to go there!

Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:02 pm

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Those clouds make these gorgeous photos even more beautiful. Now, does anyone think a Corolla may kill itself on that road? I hope not, because now I really want to go there!

I zoomed on the original photo of the parking area. That silver car is a Toyota, and a small one.
I'd bet it's a Corolla. You just have to pay close attention to what's coming up and go slow.
You should be able to make it.

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:56 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Now, does anyone think a Corolla may kill itself on that road? I hope not, because now I really want to go there!

I know someone that took their Corolla up Sandwich Notch Road in the last year...they survived, and Rapid Stream Road, while bad, isn't anywhere near as bad as SNR from what I've heard at least!

My Trip Reports: http://mattshikes.blogspot.com/

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:36 pm

I haven't driven the road in about 5 years so nothing I say is up to date, but then it took some work to get to the trail head even in a 4Runner. The bridges were the worst part. But they've been replaced so maybe not as bad. We actually had to park before the last one and walk because I couldn't get through the washed out dip before it. That's always an option. Go as far as you dare and then park and walk the rest if the car can't make it. Sandwich notch road last year was nothing compared to the mess this one and CVR were, but again, it sounds like they have both been fixed up since my last trips up that way.

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Don't tempt us on Sandwich Notch Road! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:02 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Nice report Joe, just catching up on my hike-nh reading. I did this hike with Amy (who you know) and Sue a few years ago, it was Amy's NE67 finish. The road was so bad that Sue, who drove, refused to drive it in her Camry so we parked way down and started walking. We got lucky and some people came by in a pickup and drove us to the trailhead. Almost thought we were going to have to bail on the hike because we got caught in a brief hailstorm.

Let me know when you want to do some more NE67...I think a weekend trip might be in order. I still need North Brother (hoping to get that in August on my upcoming BSP trip), Sugarloaf and Spaulding (which you know all too well), the Bigelows, the Crockers and Redington.

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:30 pm

BobC wrote:

I still need North Brother (hoping to get that in August on my upcoming BSP trip),

If you do, we will be all tied up on the 67. :wink:

Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]