Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Finishing the Acadia 26 and more AKA "Suds on The Bubbles" 
Sovereign Woodsman

Finishing the Acadia 26 and more AKA "Suds on The Bubbles"
What do you do when your alarm doesn't go off at 3:30 AM and you wake up at 6 AM? You still drive to Acadia National Park for a day hike! I accidentally set my alarm for 3:30 PM. I woke up at 6 AM to a few unanswered texts. I drove up to meet Derek and figure something out along the way. Camden was on the plate, but still in the air. Turning right along the I95 and 16 split one decision was made. After I picked him up at the packie at the roatary the song I had on was Volbeat's "Warrior's Call". The lyrics "feel the pain tomorrow" made the decision. 261 miles some Zac Brown and other random fun country songs and 4 and change hours from my doorstep via China towards where the mountains meet the ocean. The drive up was fun and full of energy. We parked at the pulloff between the bubble TH and the one for Jordan Pond and The Bubbles Trailhead. We needed the redline.

4 and whatever hours later. The finish is in sight.

S. Bubble was left intentionally off our last trip here to finish on a great day. the five hundred and whatever ascent to S. Bubble in .4 was a jarring wake up for the day. Evolving views over Jordan Pond dominated the view Southward. Not a bad way to start the day. A rock scramble or two tossed in for good measure.

Off to the races along the most uneven staircase made. Rockefeller would be rolling in his grave.

the last .4 to the finale of the mighty Acadia 26

A workout for the lungs and body

Not too long after you top out on some nice ledges that overlook Jordan Pond with Views towards Penobscot Sargent and Pemetic. What a great day to Finish the 26. The patience to avoid a dark and dismal evening last time coming from N. Bubble to a rather unremarkable ending paid off. Even if I was late from the gate this morning. :roll:

There was a younger group up there enjoying the day. No big crowds. One lady asked Derek for the best way down.

26/26

Derek graced me with the Acadia NP patch which has plans for modification. More to come on that later. We celebrated in the only way we could.

I took this one from Derek because I don;'t have a picture of me!

Life is freaking awesome!

We spent some time soaking up the views in more than one way along the ledges. Acadia on a good day is better than other days on a great day. On the way down we passed a family and their children who were interacting with some NPS workers on their lunch break. They were certainly doing some back breaking work hardening a trail. One of the younger ladies was asking about getting a job for the NPS. The guys were great answering questions hanging out on a ledge trying to enjoy their time in the woods. This is one of those jobs that as long as you are wearing the badge you are on the job regardless if you are on the clock or not. You have to love this to do this. As I said to myself out loud looking at N. Bubble "there's 25!" he knew what I was talking about and started asking me questions about my time in the park. My favorite section of trail and so forth. He really didn't blink about our day trip up here. He knew it was worth it.

I'm not sure exactly what they are doing here. Perhaps someone can fill me in. Looks like a trail. Looks like they are digging out the rocks and building a nice path. I could be completely wrong. They are doing some tough work to make a trail.

Time to move on though. We didn't drive 4 and whatever hours to hike a mile or two. Since it's Acadia, we walked through some fantastic forest to our next destination. Derek's plan for the day was up and over Cadillac down to the height of land between it and Dorr and back up the South Cadillac ridge over the ridge between Pemetic and the Triad. back to Jordan pond and a gravel path to the car. More or less. the whole deal is about 10 miles and 3 grand of gain. We headed down towards Eagle lake via the Jordan Pond Carry trail towards Eagle lake where we saw some loons and great views towards Connors Nubble. We didn't make quick work of this due to the loons trying to evade us and duck under water and swim faster than we could hike.

long boardwalk

froggies!

We came across a family riding their bikes through the carriage roads trying to make sense of them getting back to Jordan Pond House. I can sympathize. The signs suck on the carriage roads. You can come to an intersection and signs will point you in two different directions to the same destination. It could be done better. Weather or not it is done for historical reasons is another story. The signs still suck. They asked Derek if he was a warden! Apparently, he looks like he knows what he is doing. At any rate, I let them take a picture of my AMC map of the area that has both the carriage roads and trails on it and they went on their way.

Next up was the trail that sent Derek and I back the last time. Cadillac's West Face Trail with its sloping and often wet and slippery ledges. The rocks here may as well be ice if they are wet. It's probably a good thing that we did turn back because further up there is a nice ledge that if you did slide, you would take a fall you wouldn't want to. The first ledge though, that did turn us back looked a lot meaner when slippery. This time it was just a 10 foot drop. The last time it may as well looked like Huntington ravine. We made quick work of this trail. It goes up about a thousand feet in just under a mile. There are plenty of evolving views over towards Pemetic and towards the Bubbles and bubble lake. A few places where the use of hands are needed but nothing crazy. It's one of those trails that if you are warmed up, Its steep enough that you don't even really notice the gain.

Bubble Pond

Once again

The ledge that sent us back the last time. It had fewer teeth this time.

You really have to stretch your legs on some of these scrambles

the way pitch pines grow branches is peculiar.

The quick jaunt over to Cadillac along the Southern Ridge Trail is spectacular. These hills seem so much taller than they are with nothing around for reference. Topping out at 1528 feet. Cadillac would be barely perceptible from the heights of other much higher peaks in New England. But here these "hills" are just as majestic.

On the ridge towards Caddy

Its no wonder people come from all over to hike or drive up to here.

from up here you can see most of the park backdropped by the Atlantic.

Yet bigger plans were on tap for the day. 4 PM and some mileage to go. After a small break we headed down the Gorge Path to the height of land between Door and Caddy. This .4 drops about 500 feet over nice ledges with views towards Bar Harbor. It's a slow trail for sure but there was no rush. The 4 and a half hour drive home did still loom in my head however.

The A Murray Young path has a few facets to it. At the height of land is a beautiful stroll. But quickly devolves into a rocky mess (while still fun!) as it descends into what what we called Death valley. You could call It Widowmaker Valley. The crumbling shelves on the side of Dorr do give a bit of pause to where you are going. One rockfall looked kinda fresh. This is about as "wilderness" as you get in Acadia. The variety of trails here still amaze me. For good measure we redlined the 400 yards beyond the junction with the Cannon Brook Trail. Leave no stragglers! Since the trail followed a brook, this was the only time we managed to see any bugs. This actually may be a first for me here. They still weren't bad. I may have gotten a bite in but never needed to swat anything away from my face.

The Cannon Brook trail, another unknown to me. Climbs back up to the Cadillac South ridge trail to the Featherbed. It goes 800 feet up, following another brook with a small gorge and many water courses. By now the elevation was starting to get to me a bit. The scenery still made you forget every step up. Golden Hour lighting in Acadia is better than anywhere else I have been. It's just a royal treat.

At the featherbed, Derek Mentioned he wanted to hit up the Eagles Nest or whatever. I looked to my right and saw an imposing wall up towards Caddy. I took a break at the featherbed since it has a nice bench with relaxing atmosphere. We both dropped our packs. I thought he took a right up the cliff wall, but he went left and went up towards another ledge. Because it's Acadia, the views never stop. We both went in different directions and still had views to kill for.

The Featherbed

The other way where Derek went

Pemetic and rain the background.

It was here we made our way out. with only 200 feet of gain in front of us we cracked the second set of bottles. We should have rethunk this one. The Cannon Brook Trail goes down rather steeply and has a section with iron rungs. No drops were spilled in the making of this TR.

The Cannon Brook trail and the Jordan pond and Bubbles trails end and begin at an odd area. I think this was to avoid a carriage road walk. It seemed odd to have them meet without a junction 20 yards from a carriage road. 200 feet of gain over a touch of a mile, we made short work of this. While not really a memorable trail compared to what we had done earlier. It made for a pleasant end of day stroll through great mossy woods.

Popping out at the end of Jordan Pond to see where we started the day capped off a great hike. We had a national Park to ourselves at this point. This won't be the case after this coming weekend. We hung out here for a bit because, why not? I wasn't exactly enamored with driving home. May as well just soak it up.

The walk out was flat and fast. We motored on out back to my car using the Jordan Pond Path. The sun may have sent on my 26 today. But the Moon rose on other goals here. People often want bang for the buck hikes. There are limitless options for that here. Great food, great beer, great hikes. Whatever your ability, Acadia has something for you.

The drive home was well stressfull. We stopped at subway for some food. Interesting thing of note here. The subway in Ellsworth is open later than the Dunks. Driving back along rt 3 with my emergency Redbull kicking into full gear. A deer decided to cross the road. Slowed down considerably. Then his buddy though it was also an awesome time to cross the road. In the end, my brakes locked up making the squeel from hell noise. Let off the brakes and made a maneuver around the second deer. Perhaps derek remembers this differently than me. The adrenaline pretty much kicked in and did what it needed to, and my car did the same. I did however drive quite a bit more cautiously the rest of the way back. I ended up seeing another deer in the median when we eventually hit up I95S. A lot of police vehicles around a flipped jeep just outside of Portland. I'm not sure what happened there. We ended up swapping at a rest stop so i could get a 15 minute cat nap before my drive home from the packie. The few days after I kept seeing images of the deer in front of me. Obviously it traumatized me a bit. I just may end up taking it a bit easier on the Podunk roads.

here are the rest of the pics

https://flic.kr/s/aHskAKTNiZ

Last edited by thegibba on Tue May 24, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue May 24, 2016 2:41 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Finishing the A26 and more
I generally take pictures of people hiking like this and add the caption, WTF! :wink:

You 2 definitely have, "True Grit". As much as I love the place, no way in hell will I ever be able to get
myself to do a day trip there. Congrats on the 26 finish. :beer: But how did not do South Bubble early on?
Was that planned from the beginning? I think that was like my 2nd or 3rd hike there. Saw the view of
Jordan Pond from it on a postcard and said, I need to go there! :D

Tue May 24, 2016 3:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

There really was no planning. It was kind of a "hey, you need this so let's go so this loop". We were .2 or whatever on our last trip from finishing it but whatever. We will eventually get there. Besides. There were no suds to have on the bubbles then. :D

Tue May 24, 2016 3:25 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Finishing the Acadia 26 and more AKA "Suds on The Bubble
I find it sadly disturbing that they need a sign warning you not to throw rocks off the ledges because of climbers below. What is wrong with people!? :?

Anyway, congrats on the finish. I can only imagine how many miles the car racked up on this quest. :D

Brian

Tue May 24, 2016 5:33 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Hey, nothing sucks like the boring Maine Turnpike after dark after such a great trip. Glad you both made it home safely. There's nothing like encounters with large animals while driving.

Small animals on the trail is a different story - I loved your frogs. Reminds me of the old Bud commercial from years ago.

Tue May 24, 2016 6:48 pm

I found it strange that you finished on a mountain most people get to right away. It was another great day in Acadia (are there any other kind there?! :D ) and even with the late start turned into a fun trip. The ride home could have been worse. We were very close to recreating the scene in Tommy Boy. Apparently deer like the alternative and more enjoyable route to Acadia just as much as humans. But all's well that ends well, even if it ends at 2AM. A few pics from my perspective. Most look the same, but I do love my panoramas! :D

The route. 10.0 miles with 3300 feet of elevation, mostly gained steeply in three chunks. Puts me about halfway to my goal of hiking 100 miles in Acadia this year to celebrate it's centennial anniversary.

Coincidence that the spring green and color of the new double IPA from the Atlantic Brewery matched?? Conveniently came in 4 packs. One each to celebrate the 26th and one for the end of the day.

The leaves and blueberries are coming along nicely

How could I not include this one :D

Trying to push off Bubble Rock. No luck.

View from South Bubbles ledges

Eagle Lake

Loons, but no eagles, in the lake

Bubble Pond nestled between Cadillac and Pemetic Mountains

The "NH" rock 8)

Nice views along the West Face Trail

VFTT of the east coast

Headed down into "Death Valley"

We took a lot of valley trails thinking we'd see wildflowers. Not so much. Just a lot of these...

...and a few of these

Looking up Cadillac's South Ridge from my favorite ledgy bump

Dusky shot of the Bubbles

Moonrise was not in the plans. What is it Beckie likes to say?? If you want to hear God laugh tell him your plans?? Something along those lines.

Tue May 24, 2016 8:08 pm

JustJoe wrote:
As much as I love the place, no way in hell will I ever be able to get
myself to do a day trip there.

If you're going to "GG" Schoodic and friends you're going to have to do a four hour ride, like it or not. :wink:

Tue May 24, 2016 8:15 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
JustJoe wrote:

If you're going to "GG" Schoodic and friends you're going to have to do a four hour ride, like it or not. :wink:

It's that damned last 45 miles or so off 95 that's the killer. :P

Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 am
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Granite Guy wrote:
JustJoe wrote:

It's that damned last 45 miles or so off 95 that's the killer. :P

Take the route we took. Go up route 3. It softens the blow a bit and it's more scenic. Drops you right off in Ellsworth. Plus you get to cross that neat bridge.

Wed May 25, 2016 6:53 am

What he said. Try this way through China sometime Joe, or anyone going to Acadia. You'll pop out in Ellsworth right before the split to either Acadia or Schoodic. It will avoid the stretch you don't like as well as 70 miles of I-95. It's 15 miles shorter overall and while the maps say it takes 5 minutes longer I find its actually quicker, since the road is a lot like route 16 to the whites and traffic flows 5-10 over the 45-55 mph posted speed limits. Lots of nice scenery too, from the coast to the inland hills and Penobscott River. I know I prefer it.

Wed May 25, 2016 7:06 am

I don't doubt you but when do the math on Google this is what I get.
The traditional route. 260 miles, 4:16. That route. 246 miles, 4:27.

Wed May 25, 2016 9:19 am

Strange. I don't know how they figure it. My iPhone says it uses Tomtom for the maps. Either way, 5-10 minutes longer at the speed limit so I'm taking exit 113 when I get there. Try it. You'll like it. Might even day hike there more often. :wink:

Wed May 25, 2016 10:49 am

New Hampshire wrote:
I find it sadly disturbing that they need a sign warning you not to throw rocks off the ledges because of climbers below. What is wrong with people?!

I spent all morning trying to remember where else I've seen a sign like that. Then it hit me. The hike you just posted on. Only other place I recall seeing it. How's that for a coincidence?! :D

Wed May 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Awesome, guys. I admire the dedication required to make this a day trip!

Wed May 25, 2016 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]