Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 5/22/16 Ferry Way and Peverly Pond trails 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

5/22/16 Ferry Way and Peverly Pond trails
On Saturday I did a couple of very short hikes in the Great Bay National Wildlife Refuge in Newington, NH.

I did this hike a couple of years ago, actually just coming across it by accident while trying to find something in Newington but never wrote a trip report. It's too bad because I had some better pictures (which I've now lost) of the former weapons storage facility which is here, when there were some old buildings still there. Now they've all been taken down, leaving just grass and concrete surrounded by a barbed wire fence.

The longer hike here is on the William Furber Ferry Way trail, which starts next to the weapons storage site. Once you get past the creepiness of this abandoned site, there are some nice woods to walk through on this 2-mile loop.

Along the way we say several people bird-watching, and a couple of guys were kind enough to point out that there were some owls overhead - 5 in one area, to be exact, though my wife and I only spotted 3.

Around the mid-point of the loop, you come to a nice resting spot that is at the point of the old ferry site. In 1694, William Furber started a ferry route between Newington and Durham, across what is now called Furber Strait in Great Bay. Across the strait from this point, you can see Adams Point and the Jackson Estuarine Laboratory in Durham.

Looking into Great Bay

After we finished with the Ferry Way trail loop, we went to the other side of the parking lot to do the half-mile Peverly Pond trail. Nothing too exciting here, just some nice woods. The part of this that I find amusing is that the entire trail is on a boardwalk. There are a couple of benches along the way, and a short spur ending in a small viewing platform that looks out onto the pond.

A description of the Ferry Way trail is online here (*note this link doesn't work because of the period, so highlight the whole thing, copy it with control-c, including the '.pdf', and paste into your browser with control-v): https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Furbe ... _Aug2014(1).pdf

All the pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAj22ba

Sun May 22, 2016 4:37 pm

Re: 5/22/16 Ferry Way and Peverly Pond trails
Hello, you had me at "weapons storage facility". Yes, I am a typical man. I make no apologies. :lol:

Sun May 22, 2016 4:48 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

I went here a couple years ago also.. Then, about a month ago I tried
To go back, but for the life of me could not find that parking lot. Things just didn't
Look the same, and there was a lot of road construction going on. i followed the signs for the refuge but, never saw the parking lot.

Terry

Sun May 22, 2016 8:30 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

That is a nice spot on the bay. Not as nice as Adams Point, but nice. My kids love the boardwalks, although like you said there isn't much to see otherwise on that one. I assume there muse be something worth seeing in the pond once in a while since they built a blind, but never when I'm there. The Owls are cool too. I've had one (or more?) out on the yard recently at night. LOUD!! :shock: Some pics of the former weapons facility in an old report of mine here (since you lost yours :wink: ) http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?t=5381

Terry, they re-did the Woodbury Ave exit off route 16 but it's finished now. If you just take the one at the Redhook Brewery, take a right and go all the way to the end at the water tower and then another right and take Arboretum Drive it will take you right to the parking area.

Sun May 22, 2016 9:33 pm

Interesting to re-read your report, which confirms that at the time you first visited the Ferry Way trail, they didn't have a sign at that lookout point describing the history of the ferry. Now they do, but I forgot to take a picture of it. It's on a rock right near the platform. In fact, I did a little more digging online and found out that William Furber's name wasn't even officially part of the trail name until 2014:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/article/2 ... /407300330

Mon May 23, 2016 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]