Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Yet another Monadnock report 
Master Mountaineer

Yet another Monadnock report
I decided to visit Monadnock Sunday. The place was crawling with people... but as always, I made sure to take trails that the masses avoid. You know what I hate most about Monadnock? It's not all the people... it's all the women who shower up and hose themselves down with body spray before hiking. Every time one of those women walk buy with their strawberry-mango gag-a-maggot pungent bouquet, I make a secret wish that every black fly within 100 miles locates them quickly. What an awful smell...

I went up Cascade to Spellman. If I've never mentioned it, Spellman is THE BEST trail on the whole Mountain.
Flowers are really taking off:

I ran into this guy named Paul. He retired last year, and has been hiking since. It was his 75th trip to the mountain this year. When I ran into him, he'd already done over 10 miles for the day, yet he accompanied me for a good chunk of my hike. Cool dude - I'm sure we'll see him around here some time given that his retirement marks the beginning of his extensive hiking career.

I stopped frequently to admire the ledgy goodness on the Spellman. Topping out, I bushwhacked over to the Thoreau Bog, then over to the Town Line peak. Town Line summit reminds me a lot of Welch/Dickey with it's flat, broad ledges and little scrubby plants:

Town Line also offers one of the best views of the Monadnock massif. You can pick out Monte Rosa peak and Dublin peaks, as well as other little features.

A couple weeks ago, I finally found Pumpelly Cave. Being of the opinion that you can't really say you know where some place is until you've gone there twice, I went back just to make sure I know how to get back there.

All in all, it was a beautiful day to be out. 70 degrees, nice and cool, bugs aren't bad yet...
I spent about 5 hours on the mountain, and maybe saw a half dozen people after I got off the main trail.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Mon May 16, 2016 1:16 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Yet another Monadnock report
Well this is creepy. Sunday I was on Monadnock too (we used Pumpelly). Because of your report not long ago we went looking for, and found, Pumpelly Cave as well. Like two ships passing in the night I guess. :lol: I am surprised we didn't cross paths! :D

Brian

Mon May 16, 2016 5:29 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Someone please explain to me what is so interesting about this "cave". I'm really not trying to be a dink, I just don't get it. When you're done with that explain to me what's so interesting about Monadnock?! :D Okay okay, I am trying to be a dink there. There's a lot of cool history and features worth exploring on the mountain I will admit. The "cave" however I just don't grasp.

Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

GG, I think it's mainly. Sometimes it's just fun to look at a thing. Say you've looked at the thing. Move on. :)

Tue May 17, 2016 1:03 pm
Master Mountaineer

It's the history, GG.
The story of Jason Pumpelly and his friend building a hideout on the mountain.
Their ashes being scattered there.
The fact that its over 100 years old and still there.

It's the same reason some people here bushwhack for miles to get to an old railroad camp just to shoot a couple pictures of rusted metal

Who needs actions when you got words?

Wed May 18, 2016 5:56 am

iagreewithjamie wrote:
It's the history,

And this is what it is for me too. Not so much the history of the cave, per se, but of that whole region. I don't hide the fact I m a HUGE history buff, and that corner of New Hampshire has so much of it. What is more is I maintain that, if any area of this state resembles that iconic vision of classic New England.....white steepled churches on quiet town squares, covered ridges standing over serene flowing water....this past of the state is the best example. Monadnock itself holds all kinds of interesting spots and secrets. It may not have a lot to look at in regards to distance views, but to stand on the summit looking out at three states (sometimes 4) and think about all the history that has passed down there is enough to give me pause sometimes. :D

Brian

Wed May 18, 2016 6:24 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Ahhhh... I see. I was unaware of the actual history of the place. It was nothing more than a glorified clubhouse in all the previous reports I've seen. Nobody ever mentions the historical aspects you just did that are associated with it. The Eagles Nest too or whatever else is up there. No clue about who or why there either. The background facts certainly give it a lot more meaning than just some drunken college kids from Keene State building a fort, or whatever I thought along those lines. I'll have to look into it more. Thanks.

Wed May 18, 2016 7:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]