Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 5/14/16 Mt Cube 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

5/14/16 Mt Cube
On Saturday Garry and I, along with his son Jeff, decided to return to the same neighborhood as last week and hike Mt Cube. I had last done this hike as a traverse in November 2014 with Joe, Becky and Desi. This time I just did it as an out-and-back on the Mt Cube trail, which is also the AT.

We had great weather all day, but there were a lot of bugs, and lots and lots of mud - probably 2/3 of this trail had some of the muddiest conditions I've ever seen on a spring hike. There were also a lot of people, much more than I'd expect on this hike. We saw 25-30 Dartmouth students coming down the trail who had started hiking in Hanover at 2:45 AM, and were headed to Mt Moosilaukee....a few of them clearly weren't going to make it and were hobbling. In addition to those students we also ran into about a dozen other hikers on the trail.

We got to the main (south) summit just before 11:00, and conditions were perfect - a slight breeze to cool us off and nobody else on the summit.

The peak we hiked last week - Smarts Mtn

After spending about 20 minutes on the summit, we cleared out and made some space for some noisy young girls that were approaching the summit from a different trail. We then headed over on the spur trail to the north summit, a fairly short trip that offers some great views towards Mt Moosilaukee.

Upper Baker Pond in the foreground, Moosilaukee in the background

Town of Wentworth, NH

This hike was about 7.5 miles, and I think about 2400' elevation gain. I really enjoyed it, this was the first time I've been there in weather that was warm enough to be able to spend some considerable time enjoying the views.

All the pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAjrgQX

Sun May 15, 2016 9:01 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: 5/14/16 Mt Cube
Long hike, mileage wise for such a summit but nonetheless on my list. Moved closer to the top now. Thanks Bob. Muddy you say, how were the black flies?

Sun May 15, 2016 9:33 am

They were pretty bad....you couldn't stop for long. But I figure anywhere you go at this time of year, it's going to be the same.

Sun May 15, 2016 9:46 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy, the North summit is actually really nice. Mostly open ledge, rock, cliffs etc with encompassing views of the Whites. It's a great spot. With a car spot you can traverse Smarts and Cube. The area is bursting with wildflowers in season. Here's a look at Peter's report from a traverse of sorts. http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8557 From the sound of it the Cross Rivendell trail is a much nicer option than the AT north, as well as about 3 miles shorter. And from Bob's other report I'd say that's the better way up Smarts.

Sun May 15, 2016 10:30 am

BobC wrote:
After spending about 20 minutes on the summit, we cleared out and made some space for some noisy young girls that were approaching the summit from a different trail.

Says the crotchety old man. :lol: Bob, if you start yelling at clouds too we are going to have to have a serious talk..... :twisted:

Sun May 15, 2016 5:16 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

<3 Cube. Especially from the AT side. We went in September last year and it was pretty awesome. We made a loop out of it and ended up on some pretty interesting abandoned roads and fields after getting down from Cross-Rivendell.

Sun May 15, 2016 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]