Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 4/23/16 Mt Shaw to Mt Roberts traverse 
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

4/23/16 Mt Shaw to Mt Roberts traverse
Just catching up on some reports I've meant to post....

Garry and I have done the Mt Shaw/Black Snout/Tate Mtn loop a couple of times in the last few months, and each time when we were up around the Mt Shaw summit, we saw that a sign pointed the way to Mt Roberts, a little over 5 miles away. So we hatched plans to do a traverse from Shaw to Roberts last year, and finally got to it in April.

We spotted a car at the Mt Roberts trailhead and set off from the Mt Shaw trailhead on the Mt Shaw trail. This trail is pretty familiar to me by now, it's my 3rd trip, and went as expected. Just getting up to Mt Shaw is probably 95% of the elevation gain for this roughly 12.5-mile hike, so we knew it would be fairly easy after we tackled Shaw. There's a long steep section before a section of carriage road, and then you're on the summit of Mt Shaw. Views were ok today, but have been better on previous trips.

After having a snack on Shaw and talking to the only other hiker we'd see at this end of the hike, we doubled back and headed for the High Ridge trail. We didn't know exactly what we'd be facing for elevation gain along the way, we just knew from past trips that from this sign it was - well as you can see - 5.3 miles to Mt Roberts.

The trip over to Roberts turned out to be very easy, with minimal and very gradual elevation gain over a few bumps. The entire trip is on carriage roads that mostly looked like this.

We stopped to check out the views at the Faraway lookout spot, but somehow we missed the summit of Faraway itself...I guess we should have done some more research because it must have been on a spur path. But from what I've read, there's not much to see except some towers.

Reaching Mt Roberts around noon, we were treated to some great views. If only I brought along a real camera, I could show them to you! Unfortunately I've just been taking pictures with my iPhone lately, and sometimes they're good, sometimes not so much. This one is the best of the lot.

Below the summit of Roberts, we ran into a large noisy Meetup group, and some very chatty ladies were departing from the group early, so we descended a lot faster than I would have liked, just to get away from the noise. One more view of the lake on the way down, and we were back at the car.

The whole trip took a little more than 6 hours, and turned out to be a great way to get in a 12+-mile day without a painful amount of climbing. We'll probably do this again sometime, but in the other direction, to avoid any more crowds on Mt Roberts.

All the pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHskA2Z15B

Tue May 10, 2016 6:12 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: 4/23/16 Mt Shaw to Mt Roberts traverse
I hate hiking those damn carriage roads in the Ossipees. The views from both Shaw and Roberts are great however. You aren't missing much on Faraway. Depending on who you ask and which maps you look at the area with the antennas, although higher, is not the true summit of Faraway Mountain. That lies in the woods somewhere off the trail just above the viewpoint. Here's a look at what you missed out on from a trip there last fall if you care. http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8979

Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 pm

Re: 4/23/16 Mt Shaw to Mt Roberts traverse
Well, you at least confirmed where the spur was...we did stop to look at that cylinder on the ground and I had a momentary thought about checking out the spur trail, but at the time I didn't realize that led to Faraway's summit. Anyway, looks like no great loss.

Wed May 11, 2016 8:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]