Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Powder Major's Farm & Forest 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Powder Major's Farm & Forest
Not so much mountain hiking this weekend with work and gardening going on. We did take the time to go and see the Powder Major's Farm and Forest.

"This property hosts an extensive, 10-mile trail system for horseback riding, hiking, cross-country skiing, wildlife watching, hunting, snowmobiling and fishing. It provides the wooded backdrop to the Tibbetts Field recreation area and is next to Moharimet Elementary School, offering many educational possibilities. It also provides the forested viewscape for the “scenic”-designated Cherry Lane and for NH Route 155."

Start out at Tibbetts Field in Madbury.

We ended up on the wrong side of world at first and walked around Madbury Elementary WICKED COOL outdoor trail ridiculous adventure theme park whatever it was. There were swings, and rope climbing things, and a tree climbing place, and and and... all kinds of cool stuff kids would loose their brains over.

The actual trail is on the far side of the soccer fields. You follow the lovely sand and gravel path.

We weren't able to find a map as such. Trails and roads wander and wind through this property. Lots of big pine.

Bridges take you across some watery spots.

At one point we hit an intersection of five trails converging. It was easy to see the signs of bike usage and human feet at times, but for the most part there were ferns and Canada mayflowers sprouting underfoot on the trails themselves and a thick carpet of undisturbed needles.

The Oyster River and Dube Brook are accessible.

There is some trail marking. We followed a yellow blazing for the most part, but also saw signs of blue blazes and property markings in red. I will definitely be going back to explore more of the trail network and hopefully get a closer look at the Oyster River.

I'm hopeful that the towns and Forest Society is able to complete the purchase of this property. It could rival Exeter's Oakland Town Forest or Stratham Park in size and diversity of trail. They still need to raise another $1.11 million by Oct. 31, 2016.

Trout Lily.

More info here:
https://www.forestsociety.org/project/c ... ast-region

Mon May 09, 2016 9:36 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Powder Major's Farm & Forest
I wanted to take the kids here today but didn't make it. Definitely want to see it soon just in case it gets developed. :( The trails and nearby playground area sound great. Soon enough we'll get here. It looks nice. Funny I drive right by it frequently and never even knew it existed. I'm usually pretty good about knowing of places like this but this one escape me so thanks for posting about it. Hopefully they raise the money to preserve it. Glad some of my "Moose Plate" money will be well spent if it does go here.

Sun May 15, 2016 10:41 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Thanks for the report. Between you and GG, I don't have to do any of my own research into local hiking spots. 8)

Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 am

Looks like a nice spot for a ramble. From time to time I enjoy a nice simple woods walk just to get away from the grind. 8)

Brian

Mon May 16, 2016 5:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]