Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bumbling Up The Beehive - 4/30/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Bumbling Up The Beehive - 4/30/16
After the bigger afternoon hike and lunch we wanted a quick, fun hike before dinner. My wife has wanted to hike one of the famous iron rung routes for a while now and the Beehive seemed to be just what we were looking for so we drove down Schooner Head road to the Saterlee trail, planning to loop over the Beehive and catch a sunset from Great Head. I grabbed my stuff, went to take a picture of the trail sign and told her to lock it up. Then the conversation went something like this...

Her: "You have your keys??"

Me: "Of course I have my keys. Do I look stu..."

Her: "You don't have your keys. I see them on the front seat."

Me: "@&$*%#!!!"

Well, no problem, I'll just call AAA. Problem, no phone service where we were. Ok, the park entrance booth is not far, I'll go see them. Nope. It's after 4:30. They've gone home. Well, I can pry open the top of the door and push the lock button with a long whittled stick. Problem was, the stick worked just fine, but so did the anti-theft system that won't let you unlock the door with the button if it is pried ajar. Ok, well, someone must have a coat hanger, but half a dozen people came and went, none of which had a coat hanger. Ugh. It was now 5:30 and we had a 9PM dinner reservation, so, it was either walk 3 miles to town for help (and miss out on a hike!) or go to the last resort. I was about to smash the small back door side window out when I decided to try and cut the gasket out instead, and after about two minutes VIOLA!! The gasket was out and I pried the window loose, wiggled it for a bit and slid it out, reached in and unlocked the car. Not a lot better than smashing the window, but a small victory for this moron. And the best part was we still had time for a hike! 8)

Highlight of the drive there was a fox leisurely hiking the Schooner Head Path and letting us drive alongside him slowly for a bit

Looking for dinner

Scratching his back on a tree

What are you looking at??

To save maybe 20 minutes we drove the park loop road right to the Beehive trailhead and started up with the setting sun. We hit the trail junction and passed the sign that warns of the possibility of death and destruction and immediately began scrambling up the ledges. The first few are fairly straight forward, and then we came to the first obstacle that gave my wife pause. A small iron bridge over a cleft in the rock shelf, but she hates bridges and didn't like the look of this. I went first to show her it was safe and then she followed, taking the lead from there. The iron rungs begin and you make your way up a series of ledges, rock shelves and walls with the aid of the rungs and rails.

Finally on the trail after a minor hold up

Glimpse of the Beehive from the start of its trail

You have been warned

Let the games begin!

The small metal bridge that gave a few moments of pause

Then the iron rungs come out in force

Occasional pleasant rest stops and views are almost constant

Gorham Mountain and Otter Cliff peeking out

Looking back down the trail. Possibly my point of no return. I don't think I'd enjoy going down this one

Somewhere around there is the point of no return, or at least the point where it is just easier and quicker to keep going up. A fall is going to hurt either way. In the busy season you're likely to have 100 people behind you and no where to go anyhow. The series of ledges with rungs continues and the exposure increases as you just climb up like a kid on a playground. If you don't mind that kind of thing it's quite fun, but it also gets easier every time once you know you can trust the rungs, bridges and handholds. Then we came to the small wooden bridge across another cleft, with a much larger drop beside and below it. She didn't like this one at all and paused for a minute telling herself she couldn't die there, or so she said. Again I went first offering her a hand but she wanted nothing but space so I backed up and she made her way across easily. More of a mental challenge than a physical one I guess. On the final ledges before the summit things flatten out and you're greeted with a great view of the Ocean Drive area of the park as well as Schoodic Head in the distance.

More rungs

More rock shelving to keep things interesting

Looking out near the the little wooden bridge

Another in the continuing series of monkey bars

They just keep climbing

Flattening out near the summit

Great view of the eastern shore/Ocean Drive area of Mount Desert Island

A few more steps and you're on the summit, which has views the other direction towards Champlain, Cadillac and Dorr Mountains in the heart of the island. We continued down to the Bowl in the orange glow from the setting sun, arriving just in time to watch the sun dip behind Cadillac's massive South Ridge from the side of the pond. After that it was a quick half mile back to the car, passing a couple nice views up at the Beehive bathed in evening light, complete with the only two other people we'd see making their way up. We watched for a bit, my wife amazed that she had just been there, and then hurried along to get ready for a nice dinner.

Top of the Hive

Champlain from the large summit ledge

Gorham Mountain from one of many viewpoints on the way down

Headed for the Bowl in the evening sun

Life is good at the Bowl

The Bowl at sunset

Sun dipping behind Cadillac's South Ridge

Looking back up at the Beehive

Can you see the little people and wooden bridge??

One last look from the trail junction

I don't personally find the exposure that bad on this one, but as a first timer my wife did, and she's no stranger to the trails. She had previously stated a desire to also hike up the Precipice Trail, but after climbing it's little sibling here I'm not sure she wants to any longer. Better to find out now than halfway up that one for sure. The night hike before this had been her scariest hike to date she said, but the exposure of this little 500 foot peak topped that, so I guess I really pushed her mentally on these hikes, but she got through both and was at 21 out of the 26 mountains in Acadia after this. I think this one would be fun for a lot of people, even most people, but I can see why it might not be your thing also. Hopefully this report gave you a good enough look to decide that for yourself if you haven't already. It's definitely an Acadia classic.

Wed May 04, 2016 7:41 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Bumbling Up The Beehive - 4/30/16
Those pictures are scary! I can't believe I did that (years ago)!

Wed May 04, 2016 8:10 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

We could resurrect that Wildlife photos thread with those fox photos! You really got his (or her) personality in those shots!

Pitch pine and ledges look great!

Wed May 04, 2016 8:16 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I really enjoyed this hike last summer. I'm with you... I don't feel like it's too exposed, but exposure doesn't bother me too much anyway.

I haven't done the key thing with my car in a long time, probably because I always lock the car with the key fob. I have locked my keys in the HOUSE multiple times over the last few years. I've had to come up with clever ways of breaking back in my house a couple times. Someday we'll have biometric eyescan locks so we'll always have our keys with us... at least until someone forgets their eyes on the kitchen counter :roll:

Wed May 04, 2016 8:32 pm

Yeah, from now on its the keys with me and the fob or spare key with whoever when we're 250 miles from home.

And really, this might just be part your fault Kris. If you hadn't shown me the Satterlee trail last summer I might not have parked there, and everything might have gone differently. Not sure why or how exactly, but it might have. I don't want to take all the blame for this one! :lol:

Wed May 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Love this hike. I also do not think it's overly exposed. But, I doubt I could ever do the Precipice Trail. No, I know I couldn't. But The Beehive is a blast. Like it so much, I did it twice one day. 8)

On a side note, go key-less. I love it. :wink:

Thu May 05, 2016 5:30 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Agree with all -- knowing it's reputation and seeing the sign, I was a little nervous about this one, but I went away wondering "what kind of uniquely stupid and creative thing might somebody have to do to die here?" I'm neither a nervous Nellie not a risk taking daredevil, and I thought it was fun but short is about all.

That said, my wife wouldn't have liked it either.

Thu May 05, 2016 8:59 am
Sovereign Woodsman

I thought about you today! I was in a rush to get home from using the self serve at the grocery store (bought berries for my granddaughter and had to be home in time for her), put my keys down and that was that! turns out they dropped down the coupon hole; all's well that ends well :lol: . All I could think of was your adventure!

Having lived in the Great City Of Lawrence (and we have improved, thanks to a great auto theft task force in the 90s) for over 3 decades there is no way in hell I would ever walk away from a vehicle without the keys in my pocket.

Again, what a great fox!

Thu May 05, 2016 1:40 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Great recap! The Beehive Trail looks like a hell of a lot of fun. Another one on the list for whenever the hell I get back to Acadia :lol: .

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Thu May 05, 2016 6:08 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

This one looks terrifying to me. Is there any other way up a normal trail?

Terry

Thu May 05, 2016 9:11 pm

pgwido wrote:
This one looks terrifying to me. Is there any other way up a normal trail?

Terry

Yes, the way up from the back side is the way everyone comes down. Almost nobody goes down this thing. If you go to/by the Bowl the trail is quite easy but still spectacular for views and scenery. It's the route used in the Beehive section of this report...

http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8708

Thu May 05, 2016 9:48 pm
Master Mountaineer

Granite Guy wrote:

Her: "You have your keys??"

Me: "Of course I have my keys. Do I look stu..."

Her: "You don't have your keys. I see them on the front seat."

Me: "@&$*%#!!!"

I have a rule: always lock your car with the key you're putting in your pack.
I don't allow myself to use spare keys, or rely on "the one I always keep in my backpack."
Just curious, do any of you obsessively check to make sure you still have your key at various intervals in the hike? Losing my keys is the thing I worry about most... maybe because I once lost them on a winter bushwhack.

Great report. I wish I wasn't too much of a chicken *poop* to hike this trail - looks like loads of fun.

Who needs actions when you got words?

Fri May 06, 2016 5:50 am

I am usually pretty obsessive about the keys at the trailhead. First thing I do when they come out of the ignition is clip them into the key ring in my pack. Then double check and lock the car manually. It's never failed until now, and I like the idea of locking up with the key. But once on the trail I don't think twice about them. It's hard to get them off the clip when trying so I'm comfortable that they aren't going to accidentally fall off. I think I'm going to also duct tape a valet key to the back of my license plate, keep a spare clipped in my bag at all times, or get one of those stupid magnetic boxes, that now don't seem so stupid. Worth a few bucks whatever solution I come up with.

Fri May 06, 2016 9:37 am
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

Your last few series of pictures have been beautiful. You either have a talent, a good camera or both. What are you shooting these pictures with? I need one (and some photography lessons)

Fri May 06, 2016 5:16 pm

Flash wrote:
Your last few series of pictures have been beautiful. You either have a talent, a good camera or both. What are you shooting these pictures with? I need one (and some photography lessons)

Well thanks. Hopefully it's a little of both! :D The pics are all with an older Canon Rebel T2i dslr with a couple different lenses. Used it for years before I got the Canon 60D, and then that lasted a few years before it took a drink last summer, and it hasn't been replaced yet, mainly because I'm almost as happy with the pics this one takes as I was with that one. It's also smaller, lighter weight, and a lot cheaper to replace if I dump another bottle of Powerade on it. :(

Fri May 06, 2016 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next