Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Door to Dorr to Door - 4/30/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Door to Dorr to Door - 4/30/16
After the little night hike we tried to sleep in the next morning, but I guess our internal alarm clocks are just too used to getting up and getting going, so we had a large and leisurly breakfast before walking out the door of the hotel again and heading for the trails. About a mile of strolling on streets brought us to the Great Meadow Loop trail where we headed into the park. That, and the Jesup Path, took us to Sieur de Monts spring. In 1916 Acadia National Park first gained federally-protected status when President Woodrow Wilson accepted 5,000 acres on Mount Desert Island as a gift to the American people and it was called Sieur de Monts National Monument for a few years, before changing to Lafayette National Park and finally Acadia National Park in 1929. But enough of the history lesson, these trails provided some nice easy wandering, usually with crushed stone pathways or long boardwalks through the woods with informational boards every so often, as well as some views of Dorr Mountain and what lie ahead for the afternoon.

The Great Meadow Loop trail was our way into the park from town

Some nice early morning strolling on the Jesup Path to warm up the legs

Dorr and Kebo Mountains

After a quick visit to the spring house we continued on to the Kane Path, which follows the shore of the Tarn, a small shallow pond, providing more almost level walking but with much rougher footing on the carefully placed boulders and slabs of rock. Nice views across to Hugeunot Head and Mount Champlain, and more views in stick season once we joined the Cannon Brook Trail, where the footing continued to be fairly level but evolved to more earth and bog bridges as it followed the brook and passed a few small ponds.

Sweet Waters of Acadia at Sieur de Monts spring

Don't look so sweet to me

This spring actually bubbling up from the ground looks much more appealing

Monument to Acadia's founding father

Kane Path along the Tarn

Beaver pond view of Huguenot Head and Champlain along the Cannon Brook Trail

Finally after about 4 miles of flat, mostly easy walking we came to the trail junction for the Dorr South Ridge Trail. The next 1.3 miles were constant pitch pine forest and bare ledges to wander along, with panoramic views around every turn once you got higher up, especially of Neighboring Cadilac and the coastal area and islands east and south. Only moderately steep, it climbed about 1000 feet in the 1,3 miles and levelled off at the top where the bare summit ledges were topped with a large rock cairn/pile. Nearby ledges provided more great views to the north over Bar Harbor, Frenchman Bay, Schoodic and the Black Mountains and Schoodic Head. We stopped there for a long time and had a snack hidden on a side ledge where we listened to the occasional sounds of people celebrating their climb, or complaining about how hard it is to train their dog, but mostly nothing at all. Just soaked in the views and the sunshine on a perfect spring day.

Starting up the Dorr South Ridge Trail

These little guys appear to love pitch pine cones

Continuing up the trail as views open up

Cadillac Mountain coming into view

Juvenile eagle soaring overhead

Champlain Mountain and the Ocean Drive area

Almost there

Summit of Dorr Mountain

We found a nice quiet spot to relax and enjoy just past the top

Schoodic Head and Egg Island Light over Champlain's shoulder

Bar Harbor and Island with the sand bar out at low tide

From there we headed down the Dorr South Ridge trail, which was similar but not as filled with views and more heavily travelled it apeared, although we only saw 4 people on both trails. Near the bottom we connected with the kebo Mountain Trail and made the few hundred foot climb up the mostly wooded mountain before descending pleasantly to the park loop road, where we connected with the Kebo Brook Trail. It's not in the AMC guide book but makes a nice alternative to a road walk back to the Great Meadow loop, which we finished off before finally taking the sidewalks back to town.

Headed down towards bar harbor

Great Meadow, Kebo Valley Golf Course and Bar Harbor among other things

Next stop, Kebo Mountain!

The pitch pine covered summit of Kebo, not on the official Acadia list

A slight VFTT at the moment. It should be blocked in a couple weeks

Saw a couple deer along the Great Meadow Trail

A final look back at Dorr and Cadillac as we head back to town

Totals door to Dorr and back to door were 8.5 miles with maybe 1500 feet of elevation gain. Much of it was just flat wandering on streets and paths, with about 3-4 miles of what you might call "real" hiking sandwiched in the middle. Great views and historical sites along the way, and in season you'd also pass the nature center and native american museum near the spring. Views, as with most of Acadia, were spectacular and plentiful. Not the very best trails in the park, but not too shabby for a mid-day outing right from the hotel door.

Wed May 04, 2016 6:09 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Re: Door to Dorr to Door - 4/30/16
Well, if anyone ever wants TPBM to be "the longest boardwalk you have ever seen" you have us covered! Man, that is crazy long! :shock:

Wed May 04, 2016 6:42 pm

New Hampshire wrote:
Well, if anyone ever wants TPBM to be "the longest boardwalk you have ever seen" you have us covered! Man, that is crazy long! :shock:

That's only part of it. Measured it on Google Earth. 4/10 of a mile of boardwalk to be exact.

Wed May 04, 2016 7:42 pm

What, no Ladder Trail? 8) Jesup Path was a pretty neat little walk. But I started from the other end and basically turned around here.

Never thought of starting from town before. Really cool idea. May have do do this very same hike with Becky this year. Might add a wrinkle. Have to wait until August though. :(

Thu May 05, 2016 6:33 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Another good one! I love when you come up with these great ideas I can use!
it makes my planning so much easier when you have it all mapped out!

Thanks,
Terry

Thu May 05, 2016 9:07 pm

JustJoe wrote:
What, no Ladder Trail?

You mean the stone stairway from hell trail?! Literally, like 1000 of these...

...and one of these!...

How does that get named The Ladder trail?! But no, not this time. I did want my wife to speak to me at dinner that evening! :lol:

pgwido wrote:
Another good one! I love when you come up with these great ideas I can use!
it makes my planning so much easier when you have it all mapped out!

Thanks,
Terry

You're welcome! Glad someone can use my ideas. I'll keep them coming. :D

Thu May 05, 2016 9:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]