Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Better late than never. Lafayette & Blue Job 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Better late than never. Lafayette & Blue Job
Been pretty busy so no time for TR's. Not going to be much for these 2 either.

Saturday 4/16/16 = Lafayette via the Skookumchuck Trail. And to be more
precise, used the old section both ascending and descending. I like it much
better.

Pretty uneventful. Needed crampons at 3400' on the Skook but took them off
at the junction with the GRT. Could have used them on the last steep pitch of
N. Lafayette but managed. Did not hang around long at all once on Lafayette.
1, I wanted to be done early, so I wouldn't have to rush to get to the awards
ceremony. 2, after having the summit to myself for 5 minutes, I heard that dreaded,
Hon, Hon, Hon! OK, I'm out of here! 8)

Click Pik 4 Pix

Blue Job Mountain 4/18/16

Slowing picking away at the NH Fire Tower list, Becky and I did Blue Job Mountain
last Monday. Decent little hike. The hike from the tower to the bald sub-peak to the
north was very Acadia like. Not to shabby. Views aren't anything to write home about
but open and ledgey is always fun. The tower was manned on this day but he wasn't
letting anyone in. Which I'm sure was because he didn't want a dozen school aged kids in there
which were on the summit when we got there.

Note: I do not want to take away from what Kathy did. This was not a school outing.
These kids were from what looked like 4 families of friends. And the kids were running rough shot.

Note 2: Just remembered another little tid-bit. As far as I can tell, there's no official trail over
to Little Blue Job. The bald peak. We took what we thought was the trail off the summit to head down
and spotted that through the trees. There was a dozen or more herd paths and trails over there.
I just got lucky picking one that connected up down low with the orange blazed trial. The map on the kiosk
just shows one loop. Up one side and down the other. Not sure if there's a more detailed map out there.
I can't seen to find one. G. E. shows what I mean by all the trails.

Anyway, an OK little hike.

Click Pik 4 Pix

Last edited by JustJoe on Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:16 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Better late than never. Lafayette & Blue Job
We want to go there, too! But having finished physical therapy and being 98% better, I'm staying way til that slick spot goes away! Good to see you had a great day. Sunday there were more than a few cars in that lot.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:10 am

My original plan was to take my daughter up Blue Job yesterday, but wound up wandering around Odiorne state park and going to see Zootopia in Portsmouth instead of Barrington. It's on my list of places to bring the kids this spring however. Good to see its still in good shape. We've walked down the jeep road before, but didn't realize it was actually still used as one.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Oooooo! I forgot to look at your Blue Job photos this morning. Is that turtle pond on the sub peak? I could use that as a bribe to get my granddaughters to go up there. They liked Massabeisic (Audobon) yesterday, but thought the walk was a little long. But they loves the turtles in the indoor exhibit and they loved the snake on the way to the lake. Nice trip! Lucky you!

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:19 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Couple of cool hikes on a couple of cool days. Can't quite go wrong with the drive to any TG going up Lafayette.

That fire tower list. Is that the 90 some odd one that are, were and could have been maybee sorta? You should already be a good way through it with all the hiking you have done.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:27 am

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Oooooo! I forgot to look at your Blue Job photos this morning. Is that turtle pond on the sub peak? I could use that as a bribe to get my granddaughters to go up there. They liked Massabeisic (Audobon) yesterday, but thought the walk was a little long. But they loves the turtles in the indoor exhibit and they loved the snake on the way to the lake. Nice trip! Lucky you!

Update: Ran into someone hiking yesterday that made me look at my Southern NH Guide.
I usually get on myself for not checking out a planned, new hike. This is one time I'm glad I didn't.
This is form page 270 of said guide. Note the underlined excerpt.

Ooops! 8)

thegibba wrote:

That fire tower list. Is that the 90 some odd one that are, were and could have been maybee sorta?

I'm sort doing, (will take years) where they are, and where they were. Basically the 85 here. Minus Croyden
unless I can get there. Might be half way there, who knows.
https://firelookout.ipage.com/lookouts/nh/nh.htm

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:10 am

The fields are private, but I don't think they mind hikers, as long as they aren't carrying out buckets full of berries.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

"Little Blue Job" is probably the best spot on the "mountain" -- the fire tower has better views in a couple directions, but LBJ is better in some others, plus it feels way cooler, and takes you by that little pond and IMO really takes it from "a quick trip to a fire tower with views" to "a surprisingly nice and varied little hike." And I don't know specifically about the private blueberry fields, but TONS of people use the trails over the LBJ, and I've never seen or heard of any issue, seen any signs that hikers aren't welcome, or anything of the sort, in being there probably 10 times. I'm as sure as I can be that there's no issue.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:14 pm

Grindboy wrote:
"Little Blue Job" is probably the best spot on the "mountain" -- the fire tower has better views in a couple directions, but LBJ is better in some others, plus it feels way cooler, and takes you by that little pond and IMO really takes it from "a quick trip to a fire tower with views" to "a surprisingly nice and varied little hike." And I don't know specifically about the private blueberry fields, but TONS of people use the trails over the LBJ, and I've never seen or heard of any issue, seen any signs that hikers aren't welcome, or anything of the sort, in being there probably 10 times. I'm as sure as I can be that there's no issue.

Matt (Walrus) was the one who mentioned this to me. I already don't remember exactly what he said
about a conversation he had with Steve Smith. The lack of no, no trespassing signs was one thing.
But all one can go by is what the guide says. And it clearly says avoid the blueberry fields and the
summit of Little Blue Job. But the fact that it is private land, it probably has to state that.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:36 pm

I don't know which edition of the guide you use. I have the 2nd and 3rd but not the newest one yet. But the AMC, while a great (and probably even the most comprehensive source for info) isn't the be all end all to trails and land use. Things change and they sometimes have their own agenda, as does everyone else, like the trail up Cabot for example. I don't see why they would have any agenda here and am not saying they do, but it's weird that 12 years ago the family that owns the property let the state build a trail there and the AMC still simply states it's private land. Maybe as you say they have to, but do they state this other places, like Monadnock? It's not something I recall reading often but maybe I just dont take note of it when I do.

http://www.fosters.com/article/20130801/GJNEWS04/130809952

Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:48 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Two paragraphs above the posted excerpt, in the more general description area, it says "In addition to this loop, there are well-beaten paths that run north to the currently active, privately owned blueberry fields on the north shoulder of the mountain (sometimes called Little Blue Job); these paths should be noted and avoided by hikers attempting to to follow the trail described here. [emphasis mine, of course]

I'm not at all trying to encourage anything that's shady, and have aborted or altered hikes several times in an effort to only be where I'm welcomed.

The SNH guide is so often SO limited in scope, that I don't find it of note that it mentions trails that aren't described, and it definitely doesn't specify that those trails/LBJ are off-limits, as it does, for instance, a portion of the jeep road that's mentioned in the paragraphs between your citation and mine. The guide has no problem clearly saying "Foot travel is prohibited" when it's the case.

Also, I haven't been there in a while, but the trail that goes to LBJ from the trailhead I remember even seeing some signs indicating some sort of conservation something or another, clearly intending to inform (and not in any way dissuade) hikers. I suppose it's not outside of the realm of possibility that a portion of trail between the "real" summit and LBJ are off-limits but a trail up to LBJ from the trailhead isn't, but again I've seen no indication that it's the case.

I hope this doesn't feel like I'm arguing with you Joe -- I'm really trying to say that I don't think you did anything wrong!

Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Steve has had to leave several trails out of his guides in the past based on land owner wishes. A general rule of thumb I follow: unless it is posted, don't go in or try and obtain permission beforehand. Just because others do it doesn't make it right.

Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:25 pm

HardcoreIdiot wrote:
Steve has had to leave several trails out of his guides in the past based on land owner wishes. A general rule of thumb I follow: unless it is posted, don't go in or try and obtain permission beforehand. Just because others do it doesn't make it right.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. All the NH200, 300, 500, High Point etc that you do specifically welcome hikers with some sort of posting and/or you have specifically obtained permission from the owners? Or are you saying if it's not posted as "no Trespassing" then it's fair game, just avoid the ones that are posted??

Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]