Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fire Tower at Pawtuckaway 
Sovereign Woodsman

Fire Tower at Pawtuckaway
HEY!!! I was hiking today - and I was not on an AMC 48 4K peak.

Alright. Alright. Settle down now. I'm not sick. I was not kidnapped or brainwashed or otherwise coerced to hike elsewhere.
I went voluntarily, of my own free will.

Today was Day One of my school's intersession. This is 3 days of out-of-the-classroom experiential learning
opportunities for our students. I generally run my own trip rather than attach myself to another's. I try to keep
the cost reasonable (some trips/options cost hundreds, some thousands of dollars - mine is $70 and we provide
breakfast foods, drinks and lunch every day except hike day). Day one is a hiking day. As we never know who we'll get
we keep it short and sweet and head to Pawtuckaway. Pretty much guaranteed an ice-free outing that even the
most sedentary kid can handle.

Road still closed to vehicular traffic
so we hoofed it down to the trailhead

Trail was dry, sky was blue, kids were chattering, birds were singing...brook was babbling.
Life is good.

Pretty cool glacial erratics all around. This is bigger than it appears, but the other shot has some of my students
in it so I won't post that though they provide the scale

Take a couple dozen teenagers, remove the technology, take them into the woods,
add a smidge of old fashioned good clean fun and you have a cool outing

We lucked out with Kevin in residence in the tower. Not only did he point out all the landmarks, from the John Hancock Bldg in Boston
to Mt. Washington's summit cone peeking just above the horizon he gave us a lesson in triangulation when he spotted smoke toward Agamenticus.
How freakin' cool is it that my sophomores in Geometry were assessed on that exact process just last week????
To see them excited about the practical application of what they thought was useless information and skills made. my. day.
Being paid to spend a beautiful day in the woods didn't hurt either.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Fire Tower at Pawtuckaway
LOVE the kites! Other schools should do stuff like this, too.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:15 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Just had this wierd dream that Kathy hiked something other than an AMC 48 peak. Oh wait. What the...??!!! :D

Very cool outing it sounds like on a pretty amazing day weather-wise. The real life application of their studies is really neat. Mount Washingtons summit cone is even cooler. I don't know how many times I've been and never knew you could see it from there. One more reason to go back if I needed one. You just can't get all this on Hale, or any other 4K for that matter! :wink:

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:18 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Just had this wierd dream that Kathy hiked something other than an AMC 48 peak. Oh wait. What the...??!!! :D
:P :P
You just can't get all this on Hale, or any other 4K for that matter! :wink:

:P :P

Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:32 pm

Well, I mean, they don't have working fire towers so...

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:11 pm
I Spend All My Time on This Forum
I Spend All My Time on This Forum

Good old 'Tuckyway. The only place I can say I ever got temporarily lost. :D To be fair it was only the third hike I had ever done, I was (foolishly) using the State Park map and expecting it to be correct, and then there was a matter of a burst beaver dam (I later learned) that placed a whole new body of water in an unexpected place that led to the initial confusion. When one expects to find a trail and instead finds a dead end at a large pond....well, you get the idea. :oops:

Brian

Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:21 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

This looks great, Kathy. It's awesome that you're getting teens out into the woods and using their lessons to really bring home just how awesome it is to connect the real world to book learnin'. I hope you spark some real passion in some of your kids with things like this. Great pictures! :)

Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:31 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Pirr wrote:
This looks great, Kathy. It's awesome that you're getting teens out into the woods and using their lessons to really bring home just how awesome it is to connect the real world to book learnin'. I hope you spark some real passion in some of your kids with things like this. Great pictures! :)

Thanks Pirr. I do love my job. The pay sucks, I justify it with the knowledge that I am paid with the kids' reactions and boy was that time in the fire tower one of the most rewarding. When the too-cool-for-school kid came up to me today after a tough challenge and told me that between yesterday and today he has had more fun than he can remember having ever in his life it made it all worth it. I know I am making a difference. One more day. Then I get a week to recharge.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:15 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

^.^ High five teacher! Good job. Edit: Also agree with the kites. I can't think of anything cooler then getting kids to fly kites on a mountain top. That had to be so much fun.

Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:20 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I too will add a high five to my avatar mate for giving the kids such a great experience. I'm sure it will stick with some of them to become a life long hobby.

Though we didn't call such things "out-of-the-classroom experiential learning opportunities." We called them the less wordcrafty "field trips." :P

Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:49 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

My 6 year old granddaughter calls all these types of excursions field trips. Sometimes she is envious because the little one goes with Grammie to these kind of places while she is in school (kindergarten). I don't think they're quite ready for the nice trip you had (there was almost an insurrection at NH Audobon yesterday :lol: over the small walk they took, until they saw the snake :D ). I know there's a shorter way to get there than the way Prema and I used to take, maybe we'll do that with kites some day.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:12 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Salty wrote:
We called them the less wordcrafty "field trips." :P

HA HA. Well, I work in Bow-topia, one of the more affluent school districts in our Granite State. It is more than a field trip mostly because
I have to submit a curriculum, learning plan and get school board approval (as do all the trips offered during intersession).
We are one of only a handful of schools that run this program. I know Bedford does (they are modeled after Bow), and
John Stark from Weare does the same though they do only day trips, no overnights. I am toying with the idea of putting together a trip
to the Grand Canyon for next year. Think about it: I get another teacher - preferably a male - to get on board. We work out the cost for 12:
2 adults, 10 kids. We then divide that total cost by 10 and that's what each of the 10 students' fee would be. Hmmmm.......

Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:43 am

Kathy wrote:
Salty wrote:
We called them the less wordcrafty "field trips." :P

HA HA. Well, I work in Bow-topia, one of the more affluent school districts in our Granite State. It is more than a field trip mostly because
I have to submit a curriculum, learning plan and get school board approval (as do all the trips offered during intersession).
We are one of only a handful of schools that run this program. I know Bedford does (they are modeled after Bow), and
John Stark from Weare does the same though they do only day trips, no overnights. I am toying with the idea of putting together a trip
to the Grand Canyon for next year. Think about it: I get another teacher - preferably a male - to get on board. We work out the cost for 12:
2 adults, 10 kids. We then divide that total cost by 10 and that's what each of the 10 students' fee would be. Hmmmm.......

You do realize the Grand Canyon is not an AMC 4000 footer, nor in NH, right?? :wink:

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:13 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kathy - GO FOR IT! You and the kids deserve it.

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:37 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
You do realize the Grand Canyon is not an AMC 4000 footer, nor in NH, right?? :wink:

SH*T!! It's not??? :o

It's on MY list. That's the only one I'm working on right now, Senor Smarty Pants!!

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next