Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 South Moat 4/17/16 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

South Moat 4/17/16
The weather I'm sure everyone noticed, was super fine today. J and I decided to try out South Moat. We've decided to get a National Park pass since we have a couple trips coming up this year that we can use it, so it seemed like a good two birds situation.
The parking area for the trail head was pretty full so we parked in the picnic area down the road a bit. The Forest Service is doing a lot of logging work in the area so be prepared for a bit of torn up area to start, and stick to the left so you and a timber truck don't get acquainted. More info on that here: http://data.ecosystem-management.org/nepaweb/nepa_project_exp.php?project=28840

Park pass is a go! Polar Bear? Eh. Ok.

Up there some where.

I won't go to crazy with pictures. You've all done it a bunch I'm sure. There's that brook you cross with a bridge. The brook which tumbles down down down some steep sided woody bits. Beautifully clear, almost blue water.

There's a bunch of these around.

And then you get to the up part. And that just goes on for awhile.

Rock when wet and red, pretty slippery. Play like your five and treat it like hot lava floor.

All that leads to great views.

There were unfortunately other people around, a lot. *shudder* ;)

All that done back down down down.

We went and looked at a fricken big rock at the Madison Boulder Natural Area.

And then went to Hobbs Brewery for a beer, food, and a reminder that we have not had enough rain.

Besides its wonderful views the one observation I'd make about South Moat trail, is that the erosion on the upper portion in the tree line, is starting to get bad. Or almost to getting there bad. Not Mt. Major bad. I'm not sure if the Forest Service is in charge of maintaining the trials or if it's through the volunteer efforts of people. No ice. No snow. Dogs off leashes. Some behaved. Some not. No kids. No biting bugs. My legs got sun burned.

Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:28 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: South Moat 4/17/16
It's a nice peak to hit up for sure. The more pics the better IMO. yeah sure it's just a bridge. But it's a moment in time. I can't wait to hear about to national park adventures. Be sure to take a lot of pictures. We only get so many years on this earth. So many less to be able to hike what we can.

The no ice is good to hear. It's a sign of life. The buds have finally begun to pop down south. Soon we won't have to look at sticks all day.

I feel we have had plenty of rain... On Thursdays. It's due to the high winds and lack of greenery this time of year. That is one big rock!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:03 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Thanks for the TR. I have not been there. We've talked about it. Perhaps over vacation week. I like your "play like you're five" comment. I am often saying "OK. Hike like you're ten" and power up this hill or jump to that rock or kwitcherbitchin or whatever. :lol:

Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:28 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

That one certainly earns the "V" in the 52WAV designation. I think the view from North is even better should you ever want to go there also. Both times I've been to South it was winter, so a summer trip will happen eventually, probably with the kids in a couple years to see it when it's greener. There were some major league ice floes there a this winter on the upper ledges. I'm actually surprised they are all gone already. But this winter was a bust and I'm ready for some spring green, wildflowers, mud, showers, crowds, bugs...

Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:52 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

GG - You HAVE TO GO in the summer! There have been blue berries the two times we went.

Pirr - We like your pictures, you often have good shots of the little things in life!

Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:39 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I need to use your style of TR reporting for my blog.

We went up there

Some good views

Longer way back down

Done. Nothing wrong with that but it made me chuckle.

Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:27 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Kathy wrote:
Thanks for the TR. I have not been there. We've talked about it. Perhaps over vacation week. I like your "play like you're five" comment. I am often saying "OK. Hike like you're ten" and power up this hill or jump to that rock or kwitcherbitchin or whatever. :lol:

We were passed six times going up and three coming down. *sigh* We're definitely the "hike at your own pace" crew and powering up a hill may mean a two minute water break right after. :D I think as a transverse North, Middle, South would be lovely. Especially in greener weather. And if you come from the other side, you can poke at the Views and Brew list as long as you get a beer after or before. I think when we go back, we'll come up Cathedral Ledge / Mineral Site or Diana's Bath.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:09 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Cool to see what that section of trail looks like. When Derek and I did it a few months ago it was covered in sheets of ice and by headlamp. A worthy peak for sure. If you can for some bikes in your car. A bike spot for the full traverse seems fairly doable. Then You can grab the views and brews list with a great day in the hills. Nothing more satisfying than a great hike with great local food and brew to cap it off.

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]