Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Two Trips: Rye Town Forest & Northwood Meadow State Park 
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Two Trips: Rye Town Forest & Northwood Meadow State Park
We started the weekend with a quick walk around Rye Town Forest. It can be access from Parson's Field entrance off Washington Rd. It meanders around the cemetery and athletic fields. The only warning I'd give is that there are many dogs off leash in this area, both behaved and not.

This plot is made up of wide open easy trails that would be excellent for a family jaunt. They pass through many old stone walls, vernal pools, and old towering trees.

Green and water filled. Spring.

Take a seat.

Gnome bath.

A bit of boy scout camp.

Northwood Meadow is a small State Park located in Northwood, NH. We took trails when we could and access roads when needed. It has many steams and is the starting point of the Lamprey River.

Good start to a fun day.

Nature's trail blaze on the Lake Trail.

Dirty liar!!!

The White Trail connects over to the NALMC. Boulder bits along part of the NALMC trail.

Lamprey's humble beginnings.

Headed up to the overlook on Saddleback. Most of the trail were just a bit muddy. All water crossings were doable. Trails become small ponds up here in the spring.

"You go and do your business. I want to take a picture of this rock."
*Sigh* "Ok."
:D J humors me and my picture taking nonsense.

More trail.

While the picture doesn't do it justice, it was neat seeing the tiny white cap of Mt. Washington surrounded by peaks from the overlook.

One of the actual summits of the 1057 ft Saddleback summit. Wooded, thickly mossed and grassy, I think this would be a wonderful spot for a picnic and nap. From here one can take the Parsonage Trail onto the Parsonage Lot. We headed down this a little bit, but decided to save this for another trip.

Quote:
Parsonage Lot Trail
Approximately 900 feet east of the junction of Dashingdown Road and Old Mountain Road, the Parsonage Trail heads south, first crossing a small stream, and the slowly climbing to one of the Saddleback Mountain high points. This trail is on the Northwood Town Forest Parsonage Lot and was
recently maintained by Coe-Brown Northwood Academy students. Unlike many of the other trails in the region, this trail is a narrow foot path that is suitable for walking, and less suitable for mountain bikes. From the end of the Parsonage Trail, another foot path continues south into Deerfield where it meets up with the Saddleback Mountain Road on the University of New Hampshire Saddleback Mountain property. A view to the northwest was made possible by several view cuts in the 1980s and 1990s.
http://nalmc.net/uploads/Projects_EA__FinalReport.pdf

Clear waters.

We watched a group of trail runners blast across this last year in December. Snow, ice.... nuts.

Bottom of the beaver dam, Demon Pond. Little unnerving when you think about what's above.

Not so bad right?

Nope.. That's a lot of dam water.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:52 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Two Trips: Rye Town Forest & Northwood Meadow State Park
The pics are just grey "do not enter" signs for me. I'll try later from home. Maybe it's just my phone that has a problem with them.

Haven't been to Rye yet but my wife has taken the kids there. She said the same thing about the dogs. North woods Meadows was a great walk around the lake last fall with the kids. Probably pretty spectacular in peak foliage. Saddleback was also a great local hike. I've been up both from the park, and the closer access road that brings you to the loop trail. Loved the ledgey pitch pine covered top and found a few decent views from right near the actual summit.

Food for thought. It used to be known as being home to a timber rattler colony. Now NH only has one colony left that is killing myself off by inbreeding, but it's located in the general area I think. One turned up in a garage in Raymond a year or two ago and they don't travel more than a few miles from the den usually. Could the last one still be on Saddleback?? I don't know, but I watch my step when I'm there! :D

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:07 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Ahhh crap. I think I grabbed the links from the not shared area. Screw reposting all those.

Here's the album. https://goo.gl/photos/U2oZEa5Hz4pAMtxc7

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:51 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Pirr wrote:
Ahhh crap. I think I grabbed the links from the not shared area. Screw reposting all those.

HA HA HA. I hate it when you sugar coat things. :lol:

Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]