Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Mt. Washington from the east- 4/10/2016 
Sovereign Woodsman

Mt. Washington from the east- 4/10/2016
I originally planned to hike the Rockpile from the west side, but it was socked in when I was driving through Twin Mountain, so I drove north toward route 2 for other options. Near Appalachia, the mountain was in the clear, so I decided to approach from Pinkham Notch. Rolled into the PNVC parking area around 9:15 AM and still got a good spot. Kinda helps when it's 22 degrees at the trailhead 8) .

At 9:35 AM, I headed up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail with the goal of getting to the start of the Lion Head Trail. Wore microspikes most of the way. The LH winter route was closed, summer route was open :D . Got there around 10:35 AM and headed up. Not long after starting up Lion Head, I switched to Hillsound Pros and whipped out the ice ax. Going up, I mostly used it like a walking stick. I passed a couple groups heading up, and not long after, I hit treeline. The cold and wind ramped up, but the skies were almost crystal clear! Like this...

Once past treeline, my pace slowed dramatically, but I was still making good time. When I got past the Lion Head, it was a flat walk for a bit, then the climbing ramped up again. Eventually, I made it to the upper junction with Tuck's. From here, it was a steep 0.4 mile climb to the summit. Tough, but I made it :D ! Summit arrival time: 12:35 PM, 3 hours after starting.

The summit had a few groups of hikers on it, but it was otherwise mellow due to the cog railway and auto road being closed. I spent a good 40-45 min. eating lunch and chatting with fellow hikers. Eventually, I had to go back down. At 1:15 PM, I started back down to PNVC.

Not long after going down, I looked at my left foot and saw that one of my crampons was missing :?: . It slipped right off my foot and I didn't even know! I looked around for it, but I couldn't find it in all that snow, so I said screw it and went back down without it :( . Put a microspike on the other foot to compensate.

Other than that, the descent was uneventful except for the below treeline part of LH. One area in particular was VERY hairy- it was a steep hairpin turn that was all solid, slick, glacier-like ice. Really wished I hadn't lost that crampon :x . I stopped to think for a few, and decided to inch myself down using my ice ax to maintain support and not wipe out. It worked, thankfully. After that, I carefully made my way back to Tuck's. From there, it was an easy hike down to the car. Got from summit to car in 2 hours flat.

This was a fun and exciting but gnarly hike! Cold, snowy, icy, and windy, but with clear skies and great views, which doesn't happen a lot on the Rockpile. Still kind of bitter about the lost crampon, though :evil: . Guess a trip to REI is in order... this time though, I'm going for the Kahtoola K-10 trail crampon. Heard good things about it 8) . Roundtrip distance was 8.8 miles with 4,250 ft. of gain, and it took 5 hours not including my summit break.

Here's the video recap: https://youtu.be/hobbJrao940

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:22 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Mt. Washington from the east- 4/10/2016
hiker0200 wrote:
Not long after going down, I looked at my left foot and saw that one of my crampons was missing :?:

Sounds like an "Oh *poop*!" moment for sure. Glad it turned out alright. Looks like a spectacular day up there. Mother Nature was looking out for you. Didn't want you to climb it from the crappy west side again. East is always better.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:46 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

FWIW, EMS is having a 20% off sale, with free shipping on orders over $29. The puts Hillsound Pros at $63.20, a good deal.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

GG: Between my recent hikes up Bondcliff, the Bigelows, and now Washington, it looks my streak of cloudy days on big hikes is starting to reverse itself :D !

Kevin: Is the sale online only, or in-store too? When I buy something I actually wear, I like to make sure it fits before I actually buy it, so I don't usually buy clothes or crampons online...

NEFF: 31/50
NEHH: 75/100

Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]