Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Today - Tecumseh 
Sovereign Woodsman

Today - Tecumseh
Well, since G-squared isn't hiking out at Pawtuckaway or in Maine with the Gibba, and Spencer isn't across the border to the north, Kathy must be on one of the 48.

Yep. Cathie and I were both a bit tired of wind and icy trails, I am battling a bit o bronchitis, she had only hiked Tecumseh once and we wanted a quick,
easy light pack kind of day so we headed out an hour earlier than usual in hopes of beating the crowds. It worked. We hit the trail at 6:30 -
from the resort side as Tripoli Road is still closed - and saw only the three young guys from Boston that we'd traded lead on most of the way up.

The first little stream crossing was a tad tricky - the rocks were all covered in ice. Cathie picked her way across. I had waterproof boots on so I just plowed through.

Water flowing or frozen. Either way you got your fix today.

First of two "major" crossings. We were fine. Enough dry rocks to hop on

Icy just before the drop down to the 2nd crossing. Cathie spiked up here. I waited til the river and just went straight to the Hillshound Pros.

2nd crossing

Icy steps across the river

Getting into the steeps. Changing underfoot and surroundings

Ice covering the rock steps

Say what you want about lowly Tecumseh, it's got one of those higher mountain flat traverses that you gotta work for to enjoy. I love these

We zigged instead of zagging, and took a right at the fork

Cool "Christmas" Tree at the summit

Osceolas, Carrigain and Washington, yes?

Zoomed

Up and out early. Beat the hoardes. Got a workout. Nice views. Good conversation. Great company. A win win win win win win for me.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:33 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Today - Tecumseh
Ya gotta love those anonymous lawbreakers!

I am looking forward to doing the backside when they open the road and the ice is gone.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:47 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Kathy wrote:
Well, since G-squared isn't hiking out at Pawtuckaway or in Maine with the Gibba, and Spencer isn't across the border to the north, Kathy must be on one of the 48.

Thanks for keeping the world from spinning off its axis!

Kathy wrote:
Yep. Cathie and I were both a bit tired of wind and icy trails...

...so with plenty of trails without ice to choose from, we picked one with ice anyhow! :roll: :P But thanks for the report. Gibba ad I were putting together some sort of a Sandwich Range traverse for this week. Pretty sure I'm not interested if screwing around with ice like that with so many other options in full spring mode already. Maybe not, but pretty sure...

Beckie and Prema wrote:
Ya gotta love those anonymous lawbreakers!

I am looking forward to doing the backside when they open the road and the ice is gone.

I'll donate to their bail fund if they ever get caught. I too can't wait to head up the back side when the road opens up and see the new and improved summit views.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:33 pm
Leg Burner
Leg Burner

I'm pretty sure we had wind and icy trails today. Great hike though! Nice report.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:48 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
Kathy wrote:

Thanks for keeping the world from spinning off its axis!
You're all welcome! :wink:

Kathy wrote:
Yep. Cathie and I were both a bit tired of wind and icy trails...

...so with plenty of trails without ice to choose from, we picked one with ice anyhow! :roll: :P

Yeah. Called this one wrong. I knew you'd pick up on that! It's all good though.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

I wouldn't mind too much seeing Tecumseh on a halfway decent day as long as we can do something else as well. The viewscape at the top should be revisited.

Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:03 pm
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Granite Guy wrote:
I too can't wait to head up the back side when the road opens up and see the new and improved summit views.

Just how long have the views been "improved"? I moved away to California for a few years, and didn't hike Tecumseh when visiting NE. But, since I've been back (2013) IIRC the views were improved. But, maybe it's been since then. Anyway, can anyone pinpoint when the viewshed was opened up?

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:00 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Here, someone has a timeline going for the viewscaping.

http://www.scenicnh.com/blog/2013/08/mt-tecumseh-summit/

Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:56 am

I certainly don't agree with whoever is doing this, or anyone taking these matters into their own hands. But if a view is the ability to see from a certain spot, there's no debating the ability to see from Tecumseh is certainly being "improved".

Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:45 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

thegibba wrote:
Here, someone has a timeline going for the viewscaping.

http://www.scenicnh.com/blog/2013/08/mt-tecumseh-summit/

Thanks for posting that.

It's rather odd that someone is complaining about too many views. Of all the reasons we humans climb, doing it for the views ranks right up there. When was the last time you were on Carrigan on a clear day and heard someone say "Nope, I'm not going up the fire tower. I'd rather stare into these trees."

Oh well. To each his own.

Last edited by Kevin Rooney on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

well there are people who hike up Waumbek 70 some odd times... There are those who willfully hike up some nice 360 degree view peak on socked in days. The world takes all types i guess.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:40 pm

I'm with Kev on that one. Does anyone hike up Tecumseh now and say how hideous the view is, do an about face into the trees and say "Ahhhhhhh. That's more like it!"

As I mentioned above I am not for a free-for-all of viewscaping. This one is nicely done however. No half trees and stumps all over. Were it not for the hand of man clearing summits for towers, logging or indirectly through forest fires burning wooded peaks to the bedrock (like Monadnock. Burned to the bedrock by farmers trying to get rid of wolves I believe) there would would be pitifully few views to be had in the eastern mountains, the Whites included. In 100, 200 years or whatever they will mostly grow back too. So enjoy them while you can. 3/4 of the 48, 52, ledges, cliffs, slides, viewpoints etc etc will be wooded to the tip top again before we know it. Well, we will be dead by then, but you get the idea.

Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:30 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Jennings Peak has that feel of being reclaimed by nature. The tightly packed, young pines and scrubby brush that you meander through to reach the couple ledgy bits. I don't know the history of Jennings, but it feels like it's been left along for awhile.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:32 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Kevin Rooney wrote:
It's rather odd that someone is complaining about too many views. Of all the reasons we humans climb, doing it for the views ranks right up there. When was the last time you were on Carrigan on a clear day and heard someone say "Nope, I'm not going up the fire tower. I'd rather stare into these trees."

Oh well. To each his own.

Fair enough, but I personally would have zero, absolutely zero, problem with this and similar situations around the Whites were it done through the system, and the FS has not been averse to this. I don't think it's a stretch to say many others who aren't happy with this feel similarly.

Otherwise, it's a singular human being (or a few) deciding for the masses, those being the rightful owners yet they have zero say in it. My fear in not opposing illegal view clearing is that it encourages others to just start doing anything they feel like, potentially with negative effects (such as half-stumps, or issues with erosion). I admit I may be wrong as I tend to look very pessimistically at outcomes, but I strongly feel the need to share what is my personal opinion.

God knows I'd love to see the Garfield Shelter view put back to the way it was 30 years ago, but the thought of me just sneaking in there and doing just that appalls me.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:42 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Salty wrote:
My fear in not opposing illegal view clearing is that it encourages others to just start doing anything they feel like.....and....that appalls me.

Well said by my twin avatar. I'm with the Salty one. Too many people in the woods as it is but that's a bitch-fest for another forum.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next