Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 "Springtime" on Mt. Agamenticus - 4/3/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

"Springtime" on Mt. Agamenticus - 4/3/16
It sure doesn't feel like spring out there! :( But after the nice coating of snow we got Sunday morning I decided to head out and make the most of it with a quick hike around a local favorite, so after lunch I headed for Mt. Agamenticus yet again. They're really working hard on improvements to the trails and signage here lately so I guess it's time for another report from the place. The winds were howling all day, but somehow the snow managed to stay frozen to the trees down low, although the tops were frequently blown clear of snow (which of course fell on me) throughout the day. I started on the Ring Trail and took that up, only to take the Rocky Road Trail down again, passing some vernal pools on the way to the Porcupine Trail. From there it was out and up the unnamed alternate route to the 555 foot high summit of Second Hill, passing the scenic little gorge along the way that is usually dry, but today had some water tumbling through it.

Hopefully the last helping of fresh snow cones for 2016

The wind was blowing a steady 25mph yesterday

Somehow the snow all managed to cling to the trees, at least down low

The vernal pools must be wondering what the heck is going on with the weather this week

The little canyon near Second Hill had some little falls flowing today

Scraggly lonely pine near the summit

Bonus ocean views until the leaves come back

Turkey vulture doing a summit fly-by

After the summit of Second Hill it was on to Third. You have to go down through the notch between them and then climb 300 feet to the summit. It used to be a challenge of sorts to find this hill but signage and trail maintenance has improved greatly over the last year or two and now it's easy to find and you actually have three or 4 routes to pick and choose from. I chose the Ledge Trail which is my favorite and unique with the large expanse of open ledge in the middle of it. Not open enough for views mind you, but plenty of bedrock to walk along to the junction with the Third Hill Trail, and from there it was a short walk to the towering 526 foot high summit.

More vernal pools in the notch

New sign at the base of Third Hill

Nice woods on the lower Ledge Trail

Couldn't be the Ledge Trail without some ledge

Summit ledges of Third Hill

I took the north branch of the Third Hill Trail down and made the trip back on the Ridge Trail around the summit of Second Hill to meet up with the Porcupine, Chestnut Oak and Sweet Fern Trails that would bring me to the summit of First Hill, aka Mount Agamenticus. The winds were pretty blustery up on the open summit 692 feet above sea level, and clouds obscured the nice open views to the north, but the coast was in the clear with the bright blue covered in whitecaps to the horizon. The Blueberry Bluff trail is a favorite of mine on this little mountain so I took it down to the Ring Trail and took that to the car and called it a day.

Headed down the Third Hill Trail

Balanced rock

Split rock

Ridge Trail working its way around Second Hill

Then pleasantly up a shoulder of it

Back on Porcupine

Sweet Fern was a ski trail, and this is at the bottom of it

Part of the universally accessible Big A trail is completed

Blustery summit with the old ski lodge (now a learning lodge)

The Atlantic and Third Hill framed by the old ski lift

VFTT of Second and Third Hills

New summit platform on First Hill

Another local favorite in the distance

Pretty crazy weather for April, but it made a hike I've done a lot new and different. The trails are always the same but never quite the same and I always enjoy the hiking the Big A has to offer. It can be busy at times but yesterday on my 6 mile hike (only about 1100 feet of elevation gain on the roller coaster route) I saw only two other hikers, one trail runner and a guy on a fat bike. Not bad for a spring outing, although only the calendar says it's spring. For the last couple days Mother Nature has said winter isn't ready to give up just yet. I like snow, but at this point hopefully leaf buds and wildflowers are right around the corner.

Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:35 pm
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

Re: "Springtime" on Mt. Agamenticus - 4/3/16
There's something about gray overcast days, that seem to work well as black and white photography. Great pics.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:31 am
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

local favorite in the distance? Monadnock?

Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:40 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

kpmmbm wrote:
local favorite in the distance? Monadnock?

Blasphemy!! :D It's actually Pawtuckaway. Not sure you can see Monadnock from York. But I'm sure you can see it from Pawtuckaway, so maybe. Not like there's much else between the two.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:50 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

AND NO TICKS!!!!!!!!!

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]