Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 A Bluebird Day on "Kathy's Mtn" 3/26/2016 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

A Bluebird Day on "Kathy's Mtn" 3/26/2016
You've heard of Walton's Mtn. Now there's Kathy's Mtn as well. Better Known as the easiest
NH4K to climb. :wink: Which, as it turns out, is why I was there. 8)

I needed to force myself to get out Saturday. Personal and physical issues have all but robbed
me of my ambition. So pretty much all week I'd been telling myself if the weather was kind, I'd
drive up and hike, "Kathy's Mtn". Weather wise things seemed like a go so I decided to go for it
but do a much later, for me, start. Left the house at 7:00 AM. Drove up under gorgeous blue skies
until the dreaded, Franconia Notch Pea Soup appeared. That that continued right into Crawford Notch
and the trail-head. :evil: I've been burned by Crawford Notch cloud magnet many times. But since
I was there more for the fresh air and a badly needed workout, I said screw it and headed out,
now 10:00 AM. This unusual late start helped in the end.

As everyone knows, the trails pretty much non-stop ice flows this year. I started with spikes but
switched to crampons after a mile. You now by the other thread I started how that went so I won't
get into it other than to say, life changing as far as the hike went. It

It was still overcast, overhead when I got to the Mizpah Cut-off. I knew it was closed but I'd never
been up to Mizpah Spring Hut and figured this would add more time and possibly allow the clouds
to pass. And sure enough, about a quarter mile from reaching the hut, Bam! Blue skies
everywhere. :D It was like someone flipped a switch. I'd been hearing a helicopter the whole time I'd
been hiking and figured it was doing hut work. When I got to the hut, there were guys in hard-hats
all around. But as I approached, they said the helicopter was inbound and I needed to just move along.
They basicallly said because of the tight drop zone they could not allow anyone to be within 100
yards of the area. So I just mosied along. Really want a picture though. :x

The climb from the hut was much steeper than I thought it would be. I kinda kicked the crap out of
me. For some reason I though the hut was close to the elevation of "Kathy's Mtn", and it would just
be a ridge walk. D'oh! Note to self for the umpteenth time, read the guide when there's a possibility
of hiking a new trail. Image

Finally reached some open ledge with nice views to the south. Then a cool alpine none with a view
of Washington over "Kathy's Mtn". Very cool, more new to me stuff. Then finally, "Kathy's Mtn"
Bluebird skies and a small under-cast in the valley. Maybe 6 people there while I was.

The descent was a breeze thanks to the crampons. On the descent I finally did something I've said
on almost every trip on Crawford Path, took the spur to Crawford Cliff. My personal opinion is, if
you're not red-lining, don't bother. But it did allow me to get a couple shots of the helicopter.

Great day to be out. A special thanks to Kathy for granting me access to her mountain. 8)

Click Pik 4 Pix

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:01 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: A Bluebird Day on "Kathy's Mtn" 3/26/2016
What's this Crawford cliff? I don't remember any spur trail on the Crawford path on Kathy's mountain other than for Gibbs falls.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:14 am

thegibba wrote:
What's this Crawford cliff? I don't remember any spur trail on the Crawford path on Kathy's mountain other than for Gibbs falls.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:21 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Duh. I went up it a little bit just past the damnwith my nephew but not all the way. On e bright side of this winter. There is no monorail.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 am

The hike from the hut definitely has some quick elevation gain to the summit when you look at it.

I too thought it would have just been a continuation of the drab stroll that is the trail between Jackson and the hut. Looks like a fantastic day out even if it was just Mt Kathy. Hopefully that's the kind of thing that gets you motivated again and moving past your issues. Kathy tricked me into thinking there was a BobC like undercast from up there. Not that it was a bad little patch in the notch, but I may have to harass her about that now! :D

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:31 pm

Granite Guy wrote:

Kathy tricked me into thinking there was a BobC like undercast from up there. Not that it was a bad little patch in the notch, but I may have to harass her about that now! :D

Don't get me wrong, under-casts are great. I waited a long time, and was dying to see my first one. Now I've seen several, of which 3 were incredible. But the problem is, they block the view. :roll: :wink:

Plus to be fair to Kathy, when I started my hike at 10:00, the entire area was socked in. If she got above it early, she probably had a more complete under-cast.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:29 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
even if it was just Mt Kathy.

STOP THAT! :x :?

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:05 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

JustJoe wrote:
Plus to be fair to Kathy, when I started my hike at 10:00, the entire area was socked in. If she got above it early, she probably had a more complete under-cast.

Thank you Joe. Sheesh.

We were on the summit when you were at TH. By the time we got over to Willey there was just a wisp of cloud coverage, which is probably what you were greeted with at the summit.

And, really? In all your hiking you've only seen 3 undercasts? WOW. I've been lucky. They do block the view but it's cool to be above the clouds and not be in a plane. I think.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:08 pm

Kathy wrote:

And, really? In all your hiking you've only seen 3 undercasts? WOW. I've been lucky. They do block the view but it's cool to be above the clouds and not be in a plane. I think.

No, I said 3 spectacular ones. And now that I think about it, 4. But including ones like I had Saturday, maybe 10-12 all together.

Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:14 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Joe, If it's any consolation, I don't remember it being that steep between the hut and the summit. Memory is an interesting thing...

Great undercast. We were going to do the cliff last fall, but were late coming down and wanted to grab a spot on the side of the Kanc to watch the lunar eclipse, so we did not make it to the cliff. So now we know what we missed.

Happy to see you back in business again!

Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]