Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Seapoint - Kittery, Maine - 3/20/16 
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Seapoint - Kittery, Maine - 3/20/16
The plan was to have the kids sleep at their grandparents so my wife and I could get up nice and early for a hike today on the first day of Spring. Well, my wife had a little too much fun at a party we were at last night and lets just say a hike wasn't in the cards this morning. So after sleeping in and going to lunch we decided to go for a seaside nature walk and sea glass hunting instead.

Seapoint in Kittery, Maine and out 1.5 mile wanderings

Seapoint is preserved through the Kittery Land Trust. It is a point of land that sticks out into the ocean, and has some nice beaches on either side. They are owned by the town of Kittery and while open to the public parking is restricted to town residents from mid May through August. In early spring however anyone can park there and enjoy the seaside scenery and beach comb for shells and sea glass, both of which there are plenty of here. We've been with the kids before and today went without them so we could spend more time numbing off and staring at the rocks looking for the shiny little half man/half nature made gems we like to collect.

Seapoint Beach at low tide. Seapoint itself is in the back right

Keep your eyes peeled for treasures in many forms

View north from Seapoint

The Nubble

The Isles of Shoals and a brave little sailboat

Seapoint Beach is more sandy, especially at low tide, and has a lot of dog walkers on it. Follow it out for 1/3 of a mile to Seapoint, which has a path/trail around the perimeter with nice views of the coast, Nubble Lighthouse up the coast, the ocean, and the Isles of Shoals on the horizon. At the other end of the trail is Crescent Beach, which is a cobblestone beach and has the nice seaglass if you are looking. Also a lot less people since it's farther out and hidden by the brushy point. We wandered both for a couple hours in the not so warm but relaxing sunshine, keeping and eye out as we went. You can go for almost a mile before you come to some rocky ledges and homes where you should probably turn around, so we did, and followed the then low tide line back.

Trail around to Crescent Beach

The cobblestone beaches always make the best sea glass

Just keep an eye out in the smaller rocks

Crescent Beach has a 20 foot high hill of cobblestones leading to a sandy strip at low tide

Sea Point at low tide

It was a nice little outing. Definitely in the nature walk category, but great to just stroll along with or without kids and mindlessly kill a few hours surrounded by the sounds, sights and smells of the sea. we even had pretty good luck hunting for the glass. If that isn't enough for you there are a few more miles of trails right up the street at Brave Boat Harbor in the Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge and the Forts (McClary and Foster). All of them fit into the nice and easy outdoor escape category and are always enjoyable visits when bigger stuff isn't in the cards for whatever reason.

Todays additions to our collection

Our ever growing collection

Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 pm
Flatfoot
Flatfoot

Re: Seapoint - Kittery, Maine - 3/20/16
Thanks for the trip report and the pics.That place is only about a 15 minute ride up rte 1 for me.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:57 am
Peak Bagger
Peak Bagger

Crazy, but I never knew all these places were in Kittery. I made it to all the forts you
reported on, Foster being my favorite. Now I'll head back and find Seapoint &
Brave Boat Harbor. It's perfect this time of year with no traffic or many people,
free entrance and easy parking. Thanks again for posting this stuff!

Terry

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:42 am

Well I'm glad these little reports can be useful to a few people. Maine has such a great variety of hiking trails and scenery from these little Oceanside spots, to the remote 4ks, the most rugged trails and spectacular scenery around on Katahdin, to where the ocean meets the mountains in Acadia and more. Just a fantastic place to hike whatever you're looking for. This is a great little spot, not much for trails, but you have to drive right past Brave Boat Harbors trailhead to get here. It's a nice spot with the 2 mile Cutts Island Trail. I had a report here on it a while back but it seems the pictures are gone. I'll update it later for future reference. Until then heres a link to the NWR's page/map if interested...

http://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Region_5/NWRS/North_Zone/Rachel_Carson/CuttsIslandTrails.pdf#a

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:09 pm

Looks like a nice shore walk.

I've a funny story about sea glass. I've mentioned Becky's family owns a vacation home on a small island off the coast of Mass. So sea glass collecting is something that's been a pastime her whole life out there. It got to the point where there were so many jars of it in the house that she dumped a few back at the beach. Figuring the tide would disperse it and give the young kids something to find. Her being in her 40's. About 2 hours later one of her (adult) sisters came back to the house saying, "Look, I scored big time at the beach today." Becky's like, I just dumped that there 2 hours ago for the kids. :roll:

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:21 pm

Sooooo... out of curiosity, which MA island would be full of sea glass? :D

We are getting more selective in which pieces we keep too. There's only so much you can do with the stuff. The really nice polished ones are still keepers. The others get tossed back for someone down the road. At this point we know the beaches that make the most stuff, the best stuff and aren't worth the visit.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Granite Guy wrote:
Sooooo... out of curiosity, which MA island would be full of sea glass? :D

Bakers, and it's private. 8)

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:24 pm

I'll just tell them that Joe sent me. That should work, right?! :)

Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:36 pm
Mountain Maestro
Mountain Maestro

just when I thought my York county list was complete, a new spot! nice report, looks like a fun place

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:12 pm

kpmmbm wrote:
just when I thought my York county list was complete, a new spot! nice report, looks like a fun place

That would be an impressive feat. Both the York and Cumberland lists are huge. There are dozens and dozens of preserves, parks, beaches and other places in each of them. Literally must be 50+ preserves and trails I can think of I have visited and probably that many more I want to and yet another 50 I don't even know about.

I fixed the picture links to the Carson National Wildlife Refuge trails in the area if anyone wants to look at some other places to visit in the area. Even if you don't, it's fixed for the future. 8) http://forum.hike-nh.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7486

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

We've been to the Carson. Really nice! Places like this aren't just good for kids, they're good for folks who for one reason or another need to stick to gentle elevation.

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]