Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Jackson on a windy day 
Sovereign Woodsman

Jackson on a windy day
If you've done this peak, which I know all the regulars herein have, you know that coming from 302 it's a fairly tame approach until you step above the protective surround of the trees on that rock outcropping that some of us have to scramble up (unless we are somehow magically transformed from a sea creature evolved from a giant squid and have grown legs proportionate to our gargantuan size --- just sayin, the origin of the name, krake, is Norwegian for something unhealthy and/or twisted. But that's a different thread that's been hijacked).

Back to the tr..............even then, it's more often than not that once one has placed his/her boot and pulled themselves up it is a rewarding view that greets the intrepid tramper. And that was indeed the case yesterday when I got to hike this peak with Cathie, my favorite hiking sidekick.

Once I recovered my steps from the wind moving me around I did indeed enjoy the views, albeit only briefly as the wind was crazy strong and the gusts of course unpredictable. With the windchill and the temp frostbite was a concern so I tagged the summit, took a few pics, breathed in the views, gave a war whoop, congratulated Cathie for making it (she is content to just hike along and not necessarily make the summit proper as she is not "working on any list") and headed back into the protective tree cover.

Started in spikes, switched to hillsounds pros for me, Kahtoola's equivalent for TOC. Like night and day. I knew I'd be switching out at some point b/c I wouldn't have been comfortable descending in the spikes. My big problem with the hillsounds is that I have caught my pant leg each time I've worn them. Yesterday it could have been disastrous. It happened so fast I really don't know how I reacted, but I know that I was completely prone, speeding downhill at an angle on an icy, rocky slope with my arms at my side, not in front of me. As I was about to collide with the downed pine with the many branch stubs protruding I somehow managed to rotate and avoid the impending collision with my face/head and instead took the impact on my shoulder. OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark!!! I iced it on the way out - one of the many benefits of winter hiking friends - and it's a little sore today but my eyeballs are intact and there are no bruises on my face so it's all good. I guess I've gotta cinch up those pant legs for future hikes.

Anyhow, wrapped up the "winter" hiking season. I'm at 15/48 so a ways to go but I'm having fun getting there.

Pics

TH sign on the 302

This trail, as with most in the Whites, has seen lots of traction

Time for spikes. We geared up at the car and started running up the trail as it was kinda cold and we had to get the blood pumping.

Tricky crossing

Either way it's treacherous

Upstream from only major crossing

Halfway

Hey. I found winter!

Open woods

Cathie pausing to soak up some Vitamin D

Wish there was more snow, but some is better than none

The switcheroo to big girl traction

And just in the nick of time

Some open woods for your viewing pleasure

Ahhhhhh

This NEVER gets old for me

THERE IT IS! It's like the Holy Grail!!!

Dealt with c-c-cold hands long enough to snap a few pics. This looking north to GW

And the hike was complete with this fat little guy....

...which Cathie did her best to make fatter

Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:49 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

Re: Jackson on a windy day
Abby the blue patch. Makes a little more sense now. Do you wear gaiters when you have the crampons on? I still catch my legs occasionally but a lot less often when I use them. Glad it wasn't worse. Was it on that final scramble below the summit or elsewhere? Strange how the much higher and northern facing Mt. Adams looked like full blown spring but this one looks like winter is still here for a while.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]