Mt. Washington Temp.
Click pic for forecast.

...More Topics...

Get Firefox!

Backcountry ski and snowboard gear, camping

Donate towards my web hosting bill!

Made with CSS

Validated by W3C

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:26 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Adams - better late than never 
Sovereign Woodsman

Adams - better late than never
Sometimes writing a tr is a PITA. Started this one, managed to click onto another page and lost the whole thing that Id been working on for 10 mins. Grrr.....

Adams last Sat, 3/12/16. Despite it's late entry, I cannot imagine conditions are vastly different than what we encountered. I will let the pictures tell the story. This was one of the most epic, exhilarating, intense, crazy windy hikes I have ever done. And I wouldn't trade a minute of it. OK. Well, maybe a minute. Or 60 of 'em but that's it.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:53 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Re: Adams - better late than never
What a fine day! The trails In Trees looked like one big ice waterfall. Above treeline it looked like any other summer day outside of a few isolated spots. King ravine free of snow in March? Quite odd. How'd the legs feel compared to last week when you hit Madison?

Last edited by thegibba on Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:21 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

thegibba wrote:
What a fine day! The trails In Trees looked like one big ice waterfall. Above treeline it looked like any other summer day outside of a few isolated spots. King ravine free of snow in March? Quite odd. How'd the legs feel compared to last week when you hit Monroe?

It was indeed one big icy waterfall until we hit the Durand Ridge.

King Ravine snow-free was definitely an unexpected site.

Legs were fine. No problems. My two friends were a tad sore but I've been hiking so I've got my legs.

Caught my crampon on my pant leg and took a fall today on Jackson and as I was sliding out of control I managed to roll a bit and rather than have my face slam into the stubby branch sticking out of the downed tree I took the impact on my shoulder. It's a little wonky right now but I'm alright. At least I didn't poke an eye out. It's all fun and games til somebody loses an eye! :wink:

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:55 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Well thank God for that! You wouldn't be able to correct my grammar otherwise! :oops:

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:26 pm
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

I think you guys/gals are nuts for tackling the ice rivers with just Kathoolas, but perhaps it wasn't as bad as it looks?? The lack of snow is sad but hey, spring is here today so it's time for the rest of it to go too now! At least the precip fell as rain so hopefully we get a nice green spring. Bummed about the slip and slide too. Hope you recover quickly. The NH AMC 48 is punishing those who repeatedly and needlessly re-hike lately. First Becky and now you. Time to take your hiking talents elsewhere! :wink:

Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:46 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Granite Guy wrote:
I think you guys/gals are nuts for tackling the ice rivers with just Kathoolas, but perhaps it wasn't as bad as it looks?? The lack of snow is sad but hey, spring is here today so it's time for the rest of it to go too now! At least the precip fell as rain so hopefully we get a nice green spring. Bummed about the slip and slide too. Hope you recover quickly. The NH AMC 48 is punishing those who repeatedly and needlessly re-hike lately. First Becky and now you. Time to take your hiking talents elsewhere! :wink:

It WAS as bad as it looks but since my little bro had only spikes Cathie and I went that route too. Figured no good having traction that allowed only 2 out of 3 hikers to make the ascent. We were ok, but it was definitely at the outer limits of the gear. And after yesterday's use, if I had Adams to do again I would tell the bro to deal and I'd use the hillsounds. Serves him right for all the bs I had to deal with growing up with him. :lol:

Shoulder s/b ok. I'll head to the gym today to work it out.

As for the punishment comment, one hiker's "needless" is another hiker's therapy. :wink: That being what it is, I do want to get to Maine and the upside-down-NH for some hikes this summer.

Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:05 am
Hiking Forums Are My Crack

The AMC 48 as therapy? Well, to each their own. Sounds more like a cause for therapy to me...physical therapy! :lol:

Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:11 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Shoulder injuries are a b&^*h. Keep an eye on it!

Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:33 pm
Sovereign Woodsman

Wow the ice is amazing. I can't believe how little snow there is on top. Mind blowing. I cannot ever see myself hiking on that kind of ice no matter the protection. One trip up man and your a gonner. :shock:

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:14 am
Mountaineer
Mountaineer

It looks like a great hike BUT that ice. Nope. Nope... NOOPPPE. This is me getting on the Nope bus and heading on out to Nopetown, for a stay at the Nope Motel. I just don't get as much enjoyment out of hikes like that. Where I'm worried about falling and breaking my ass every step. Can't wait for some warmer weather.

Great report and pictures though! And I'm glad no one took a tumble.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:57 am
Sovereign Woodsman

Pirr wrote:
It looks like a great hike BUT that ice. Nope. Nope... NOOPPPE. This is me getting on the Nope bus and heading on out to Nopetown, for a stay at the Nope Motel. I just don't get as much enjoyment out of hikes like that. Where I'm worried about falling and breaking my ass every step. Can't wait for some warmer weather.

Great report and pictures though! And I'm glad no one took a tumble.

Thanks for the well wishes. But, I should be clear. As we ascended, yes. Of course there was the possibility of a slip and fall. As there always is, regardless of the season. However, we were not cavalier. We knew that whatever we had just ascended we were completely comfortable descending. at no point on any hike this winter was I in over my head, or without the right gear for the conditions - I chose my hikes carefully. This winter has taught me much, about many things. Not the least of which is the beauty of the mountains that is there for all with a sense of adventure (and the proper gear and knowledge) to see and enjoy.

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]